The Italian Beef Sandwich

sec159row2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
I don't believe there is a more perfect food...  Is there anything a beef sandwich can't cure???  beef.. au jus.. bread..  hot peppers..  sign me up....    :notworthy

Please do not forget some melted mozzarella on top!

In Bridgeport ... try one at Stan's Drive In, corner of Archer and Arch St. (3000 W. Archer), only open until about 3 pm Mon. - Sat.

Great italian beef, combo sandwiches, and hot dogs.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
soggy bread is gross

Are you kidding me? That's the best part!

And nope, I'm not kidding...honestly, I would be just as satisified with dipping a roll in the (italian beef) juice. The meat just takes up space to me. I LOVE beef in general (Seasoned Skirt Steak+Rice Pilaf is one of my favorite meals), but that's one sandwich I'm fine without it.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 02:09 AM)
Mmmmmm... Italian beef.  Somebody send me an Al's quick!

(And while you're on Taylor get me a big Italian lemonade from Mario's too.)

:crying I miss my Chicago food.  :crying

:headbang :headbang

:notworthy :notworthy

:crying :crying :crying :crying :crying

Lou's, and good f'n Mexican places everywhere, and the dogs. And geez, Italian beef. Hot or sweet, I miss that stuff so bad.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 02:02 AM)
In Bridgeport ... try one at Stan's Drive In, corner of Archer and Arch St. (3000 W. Archer), only open until about 3 pm Mon. - Sat.

Great italian beef, combo sandwiches, and hot dogs.

Potesta's up north has an Italian Beef bomber with mozarella, tomato sauce, peppers, juice, damn, they're closed now!

4-5 lbs of butt roast

1 jar of pepperochini's (peppers and juice)

1 pack of dry Italian Salad dreassing

shake in some Italian seasonings (the type of thing McCormick or Lawrys makes)

1 can of beef broth

Cut roast in cubes, throw everything into crock pot, bring to a boil, as soon as it boils, drop temp to a simmer , and let the badride slow cook for about 4-5 hours. Beef will at that point just fall apart.

THIS is the best Italian Beef I have ever had. You folks out of town, give it a whirl, and you will be VERY happy. :cheers

Personally I wouldn't have anything with peppers or anything spicy inside of a sandwich, and I'm not even a huge sandwich person anyway. Something with just ham or chicken or beef, with some cheese, lettuce, mayo is probably up my alley.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
Personally I wouldn't have anything with peppers or anything spicy inside of a sandwich, and I'm not even a huge sandwich person anyway. Something with just ham or chicken or beef, with some cheese, lettuce, mayo is probably up my alley.

Well, once you are done cooking it, throw the peppers out. They lose all of their flavor, and they actually taste pretty bad after the cook. My wife HATES peppers, and almost threw up when she saw me dump the jar into the pot. BUT she was a trooper and decided to have a sandwich when it was done.

She ended up having two and said it was by far the best Italian Beef she ever had.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)

Sounds like you aren't man enough to handle Chicago food :ph34r:

We got beef sandwiches a couple weeks ago from Portillos. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

He gets his with mozzarella only (okay, sometimes red sauce, but not that often) and I get mine with hot peppers only. Drooling just thinking about it. When I attended UIC, I went to Al's one time and was not impressed at all. Maybe it was just an off day. Brian said when they were at Wicklander they would go to Taylor street for lunch all the time (Illinois Bar and Grill, Al's, etc) and said he was never that crazy about Al's either.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Sounds like you aren't man enough to handle Chicago food :ph34r:

Haha, probably not. Case in point, I had a piece of my friend's spicy Pizza at work last nite. It had the usual things you find on a Supreme like pepperoni and this really hot sauce on it (even he admitted they put way more on that usual). I took one bite of that, and proceeded to skull about 3 to 4 bottles of water in under 2 minutes, trying to get the heat out of my mouth. Too bad I ended up going to the bathroom about every 30 mins thereafter. :lol: