The Italian Beef Sandwich

sec159row2

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
4-5 lbs of butt roast

1 jar of pepperochini's (peppers and juice)

1 pack of dry Italian Salad dreassing

shake in some Italian seasonings (the type of thing McCormick or Lawrys makes)

1 can of beef broth

Cut roast in cubes, throw everything into crock pot, bring to a boil, as soon as it boils, drop temp to a simmer , and let the badride slow cook for about 4-5 hours. Beef will at that point just fall apart.

THIS is the best Italian Beef I have ever had. You folks out of town, give it a whirl, and you will be VERY happy.  :cheers

I just saved this to notepad. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 06:56 AM)
4-5 lbs of butt roast

1 jar of pepperochini's (peppers and juice)

1 pack of dry Italian Salad dreassing

shake in some Italian seasonings (the type of thing McCormick or Lawrys makes)

1 can of beef broth

Cut roast in cubes, throw everything into crock pot, bring to a boil, as soon as it boils, drop temp to a simmer , and let the badride slow cook for about 4-5 hours. Beef will at that point just fall apart.

THIS is the best Italian Beef I have ever had. You folks out of town, give it a whirl, and you will be VERY happy.  :cheers

whirling...

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
When I attended UIC, I went to Al's one time and was not impressed at all.

The hell you say.

I dunno, I sure remember them fondly, and the place was just behind my high school so it was a regular stop.

Nothing bad to say about Portillos though, and one just opened up by my folks so it's become a high point of every visit.

Gotta try Kid's recipe now, too.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 02:59 AM)
Carm's in Westchester...  Oh, man I miss it.

its Hillside...and its the best...especially with hot peppers and mozzarella....people who say portillo's are crazy. While both Buona beef and Portillo's are good, they do not compare to Carm's. I recommend everyone give them a try. If you work in Oakbrook, its only about 7-10 minutes away. Its on Wolf Rd, North of 22nd street and south of Roosevelt. I guarantee you won't be dissappointed. I've been going there since I was a kid.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
Gotta try Kid's recipe now, too.

I expect reports from you folks that are going to give this a shot. It will cost you about $20, but you will also be able to make quite a few samiches, and you can obviously freeze the left-overs.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
Where is it at?  I want to try these others out.

North Ave, west of Harlem, and two blocks east of Lathrop.

I've been a disciple of Johnny's beef since I ate my first sanggwich at the age of two. They consistantly win the best area beef awards and it is an absolute must for any Italian beef enthusiast.

If you aren't from the area, it's worth the drive.

They are also home to world famous, award winning Italian Ice.

Buy yourself a hot beef with a large ice and you just found a small slice of heaven for under six dollars.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
North Ave, west of Harlem, and two blocks east of Lathrop.

I've been a disciple of Johnny's beef since I ate my first sanggwich at the age of two.  They consistantly win the best area beef awards and it is an absolute must for any Italian beef enthusiast.

If you aren't from the area, it's worth the drive.

They are also home to world famous, award winning Italian Ice.

Buy yourself a hot beef with a large ice and you just found a small slice of heaven for under six dollars.

Cool, I'll try it out. Thanks.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
Haha, probably not. Case in point, I had a piece of my friend's spicy Pizza at work last nite. It had the usual things you find on a Supreme like pepperoni and this really hot sauce on it (even he admitted they put way more on that usual). I took one bite of that, and proceeded to skull about 3 to 4 bottles of water in under 2 minutes, trying to get the heat out of my mouth. Too bad I ended up going to the bathroom about every 30 mins thereafter.  :lol:

Water makes it worse. Try milk next time.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
its Hillside...and its the best...especially with hot peppers and mozzarella....people who say portillo's are crazy.  While both Buona beef and Portillo's are good, they  do not compare to Carm's.  I recommend everyone give them a try.  If you work in Oakbrook, its only about 7-10 minutes away.  Its on Wolf Rd, North of 22nd street and south of Roosevelt.  I guarantee you won't be dissappointed.  I've been going there since I was a kid.

Right next to the Mediterrain Deli.. it's in a little strip mall with a daycare at the south end of it. You can't miss it. It's the place that's packed solid from about 10:30 in the morning until 3ish in the afternoon. Awesome beef..

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
portillos=overrated

Find me someplace else with a Beef And Cheddar Criosant and those fries, and I will agree, but until then, I LOVE Portillos.

Gyro's made me fat. Now I treat myself to them once every blue moon.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
I expect reports from you folks that are going to give this a shot. It will cost you about $20, but you will also be able to make quite a few samiches, and you can obviously freeze the left-overs.

Just wondering about the "cubing" of the beef... not slices??? just cube it???

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
Right next to the Mediterrain Deli.. it's in a little strip mall with a daycare at the south end of it. You can't miss it. It's the place that's packed solid from about 10:30 in the morning until 3ish in the afternoon. Awesome beef..

This place has always done awesome business. I take lot ofspeople there and challenge them to find a better beef sandwich. The meat has so much taste and their homemade gardiera is awesome.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Just wondering about the "cubing" of the beef...  not slices???  just cube it???

Yup. The stuff will just pull apart from the cubes once you are done. It ends up looking somewhat like a pulled pork sandwhich. You can try slicing it, but I wouldn't want to spend that much time trying to cut a raw roast into slices. Plus it will cook too fast in thin slices.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
Yup. The stuff will just pull apart from the cubes once you are done. It ends up looking somewhat like a pulled pork sandwhich. You can try slicing it, but I wouldn't want to spend that much time trying to cut a raw roast into slices. Plus it will cook too fast in thin slices.

gotcha...

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
This thread is painful, when you're basically limited to the food that's on campus....:crying

1 week and a day.... :)

ya mean breadsticks at pizza express don't cut it

is buffalouis' (sp?) still down there?? make sure you get a steak from little zagreb's before leaving for the summer...