The Italian Beef Sandwich

sec159row2

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Novi's Beef in Berwyn!

Corner of Oak Park Ave and Ogden.

That sucker is soo juicy that have to wrap in foil and a plastic bag.

(We need a drooling icon!)

I've tried this place...garbage...if you like this, you'll love Carm's in Hillside...go try it. Novi's is Grade A dog food.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
I've tried this place...garbage...if you like this, you'll love Carm's in Hillside...go try it.  Novi's is Grade A dog food.

I love Carm's in Hillside too!!

I will respectfully disagree with your assesment on Novi's.

We still need a drolling icon.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
its Hillside...and its the best...especially with hot peppers and mozzarella....people who say portillo's are crazy.  While both Buona beef and Portillo's are good, they  do not compare to Carm's.  I recommend everyone give them a try.  If you work in Oakbrook, its only about 7-10 minutes away.  Its on Wolf Rd, North of 22nd street and south of Roosevelt.  I guarantee you won't be dissappointed.  I've been going there since I was a kid.

OK, so it's Hillside. I don't get down to Chicago much at all anymore, but the last time I was at Carm's, I got to talking to one of the guys there and I told him I drove 400 miles for this sandwich. He laughed and said he went to school in St. Paul. We had a nice chat and a damn fine sandwich.

We have a couple places in Twacities that come close, but Carm's is still my fav.

Johnny's Beef definitely has a cult following. There is usually a line out the door. It's really close to home, but I don't get there often because the rest of my family doesn't really like the place, especially since there isn't anywhere to sit inside. I think it's pretty good, but I'm not wild about it.

I've actually made something similar to the recipe that Kid Gleason posted. We use a 4-6 pound pork shoulder and threw in two bottles of giardinera (the standard size, not sure exactly how big because I don't have a bottle in front of me). We just threw it in a crock pot and cooked it until it was nice and tender and then just pulled apart the bigger chunks with forks. This took several hours. We made a couple of times, once with a 4 pound roast that took about 4-6 hours, and one with a 6-8 pound (can't remember exact weight) for a party that we started the night before. It was awesome, definitely some of the best stuff I've had. Some important things though, we had to drain the giardinera, otherwise the meat was incredibly greasy (still was anyways, but not disgustingly so). Also, this stuff was pretty spicy and not for the feint of heart. We love spicy stuff anyways, but I'm sure you can fine tune it to your own taste by varying the type of giardinera (ie switch to a tame brand or use sweet peppers).

Edited by ZoomSlowik