Al-Qaeda? Al-Qaida? or however it's spelled

KipWellsFan

Has there ever been anyone convicted of being a member of Al-Qaeda in the United States? I know there's never been anyone convicted of this in Britain.

I'm asking because I just watched a documentary called The Power of Nightmares, which while encompassing a number of issues explains how Al-Qaeda is really a fantasy. But don't get your panties in a bunch, the documentary admits islamic radicalism is extremely dangerous to us.

It's availble on torrentspy.com and if anyone is scared of breaking the law, Adam Curtis the director recently encouraged the download of his movie because it would never be available on dvd anyway.

preview available here

http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/powerofnightmares/

you can see the whole thing here in crappy quality

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/video1037.htm

10/10

better than Farenheit 9/11 by miles :headbang

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
Who bombed the WTC and Pentagon?  Oh,  I guess our own government did it.

Thanks.  I'll pass.

From what I know they were allegedly affiliated with al-Qaeda. Someone please help me out on this.

I'm not saying al-Qaeda doesn't exist but that the so called World Wide network that people claim it has does not exist. Hell, according to this documentary before 9/11 Osama Bin Laden never called what he was doing Al-Qaeda. It is more of a term to generalize and create an enemy in the vein of communism. A new evil for which the great American nation can fight against, a feeling key to the followers of Leo Strauss otherwise known as the neo-conservatives.

If you don't watch it you probably won't understand what I'm saying.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
Has there ever been anyone convicted of being a member of Al-Qaeda in the United States?  I know there's never been anyone convicted of this in Britain. 

I'm asking because I just watched a documentary called The Power of Nightmares, which while encompassing a number of issues explains how Al-Qaeda is really a fantasy.  But don't get your panties in a bunch, the documentary admits islamic radicalism is extremely dangerous to us.

It's availble on torrentspy.com and if anyone is scared of breaking the law, Adam Curtis the director recently encouraged the download of his movie because it would never be available on dvd anyway.

preview available here

http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/powerofnightmares/

you can see the whole thing here in crappy quality

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/video1037.htm

10/10

better than Farenheit 9/11 by miles :headbang

implying that farenheit 9/11 is good ??? that's like saying bob and doug mackenzie were nobel laureates...

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
implying that farenheit 9/11 is good ???  that's like saying bob and doug mackenzie were nobel laureates...

Wow Republican supporters laughing off the issue. I'm flabbergasted

Likeability of Moore aside Farenheit was generally viewed as a good movie. According to imdb 66% rated the movie as a 7/10 or better and according to rottentomatoes.com 84% positively reviewed the movie. But I guess they're all stupid liberals right? I'd be interested in hearing documentary favorites from Republicans.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Wow Republican supporters laughing off the issue.  I'm flabbergasted

Likeability of Moore aside Farenheit was generally viewed as a good movie.  According to imdb 66% rated the movie as a 7/10 or better and according to rottentomatoes.com 84% positively reviewed the movie.  But I guess they're all stupid liberals right?  I'd be interested in hearing documentary favorites from Republicans.

Of course it got rave reviews from people who watched it :bang Most people who thought the movie would be a biased BS attack movie didn't watch it. How would they review a movie they didn't watch. The people who wanted it to be a good movie, watched it, and lo and behold loved it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
Of course it got rave reviews from people who watched it :bang Most people who thought the movie would be a biased BS attack movie didn't watch it.  How would they review a movie they didn't watch.  The people who wanted it to be a good movie, watched it, and lo and behold loved it.

So I should just accept it from people that didn't see it that it was bad, no f'n way.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
Wow Republican supporters laughing off the issue.  I'm flabbergasted

What is the issue? That we gave them their name? OK? There's still bad guys out there that want to kill us. How does this change that?

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
So I should just accept it from people that didn't see it that it was bad, no f'n way.

No, more like the people who did see it, saw what they wanted to see and hear, and of course loved it. Its just like conservatives listening to Rush, they hear what they want to hear, so they think it is great. Its not that complex of a concept.

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
What is the issue? That we gave them their name? OK? There's still bad guys out there that want to kill us. How does this change that?

Well the issue brought up by the film is that basically al-Qaeda has been invented to create a phantom enemy for Leo Strauss followers so they could keep and increase their power.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)

We're not talking about good vs. bad here. We're talking about it being full of holes and pretty mush been proven to be full of s*** on a lot of different points. You compared this to the film in the OP. We thought that was funny.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
Well the issue brought up by the film is that basically al-Qaeda has been invented to create a phantom enemy for Leo Strauss followers so they could keep and increase their power.

So, who flew those planes? Phantoms? Somebody call Scooby Doo!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
No, more like the people who did see it, saw what they wanted to see and hear, and of course loved it.  Its just like conservatives listening to Rush, they hear what they want to hear, so they think it is great.  Its not that complex of a concept.

Can we agree to say it's difficult to evaluate the quality of a politically charged film?

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
So, who flew those planes? Phantoms? Somebody call Scooby Doo!

People "affiliated" with al-Qaeda, whatever the hell that means. Watch The Hamburg Cell and The Power of Nightmares.

Does anyone have the answer to the first question I posed?

I think this has become a little to partisan, so i want to make an objective judgement.

I have seen the first 2 parts of this 3 part series, and i think it is fantastic. It is not all that biased, but there is a clear hatred for Neo-cons in the movie. I think it does an excellent job of describing how anti american sentiments developed among the terrorists.

As for KWF saying that the movie says there was no al queda, i never saw this in the movie, and in fact it seems like they are constantly talking about how al queda does exist.

Oh yeah, and the soundtrack to this movie has to be fabulas, we all loved it in my Politics class