Al-Qaeda? Al-Qaida? or however it's spelled

KipWellsFan

QUOTE(Pale Hose Jon @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
I think this has become a little to partisan, so i want to make an objective judgement.

I have seen the first 2 parts of this 3 part series, and i think it is fantastic.  It is not all that biased, but there is a clear hatred for Neo-cons in the movie. I think it does an excellent job of describing how anti american sentiments developed among the terrorists.

As for KWF saying that the movie says there was no al queda, i never saw this in the movie, and in fact it seems like they are constantly talking about how al queda does exist.

Oh yeah, and the soundtrack to this movie has to be fabulas, we all loved it in my Politics class

Haha you're right on with the music, I've downloaded *cough bought a bunch of the songs.

I wasn't clear enough, I mean Worldwide Organization and Sleeper Cells dont really exist, the movie makes these out to be myths. Al-Qaeda exists, but not in the way portrayed by the media in general.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
So, who flew those planes? Phantoms? Somebody call Scooby Doo!

Firstly, MrEye -- William Blum (former member of the State Department and now a major writer/researcher on US policy) in his books regarding interventions of the US government from a purely historical standpoint, shows that the government has used weapons and attacks on its own people. The US Army has admitted that "between 1949 and 1969, 239 populated areas from coast to coast were blanketed with various organisms during tests designed to measure patterns of dissemination in the air, weather effects, dosages, optimum placement of the sources and other factors." Testing over such areas was supposedly suspended after 1969, but there is no way to be certain.

Here's just a couple examples...

New York City: 1956, a CIA-Army team sprayed New York streets and Holland and Lincoln Tunnels using trick suitcases and a car with a dual muffler.

June 6-10, 1966, The Army report of this test was called "A Study of the Vulnerability of Subway Passengers in New York City to Covert Attack with Biological Agents". Trillions of bacillus subtilis variant niger were released into the subway system during rush hours. One method was to use light bulbs filled with the bacteria; those were unobtrusively shattered at sidewalk level on subway ventilating grills or tossed onto the roadbeds inside the stations. Aerosol clouds were momentarily visible after the release of bacteria from the light bulbs. The report noted that "When the cloud engulfed people, they brushed their clothing, looked up at the grating apron and walked on." The wind of passing trains spread the bacteria along the the tracks; in the same time it took for two trains to pass, the bacteria were spread from 15th Street to 58th Street. It will never be known how many people later became ill from being unsuspecting guinea pigs but the United States Army exhibited not the slightest interest in this question.

Chicago: 1960s, the Chicago subway system was the scene of a similar Army experiment.

And with the declassification of Operation Northwoods from the 1960s, its more plausible to believe government could and would harm its own citizens to promote an agenda (i.e. the portion of the document where it explicitly states the suggest to blow up passenger airliners so we could blame it on Cuba and therefore invade)

I'm just saying there is a definite plausibility to government harming its own people to justify an advancement of its own agenda -- its been done by governments all over the globe and has been done incrementally even here in the US.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
Well the issue brought up by the film is that basically al-Qaeda has been invented to create a phantom enemy for Leo Strauss followers so they could keep and increase their power.

levi strauss sells phantom jeans to al qaeda???

• 3 weeks later...

UK film: terror fears exaggerated

But Curtis said there were worlds of difference between his film and Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11", which won the "Golden Palm" and gave the festival a charged political atmosphere that prompted this year's return to a more conservative program.

"Moore is a political agitprop filmmaker," he said. "I am not. You'd be hard pushed to tell my politics from watching it."

Good summary of the movie here.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
Wow Republican supporters laughing off the issue.  I'm flabbergasted

Likeability of Moore aside Farenheit was generally viewed as a good movie.  According to imdb 66% rated the movie as a 7/10 or better and according to rottentomatoes.com 84% positively reviewed the movie.  But I guess they're all stupid liberals right?  I'd be interested in hearing documentary favorites from Republicans.

You obviously have no idea how a meaningful, unbiased poll is conducted.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
I'm just saying there is a definite plausibility to government harming its own people to justify an advancement of its own agenda -- its been done by governments all over the globe and has been done incrementally even here in the US.

Not disagreeing with your general statement, but only an idiot would suggest that our government was responsible for flying planes into the WTC and the Pentagon.