A minor suggestion

Good point. Either that or El Duque and Contreras need to nut up and throw strikes. I know alot of El Duque's game is pitching around guys but Contreras has great stuff and needs to challenge hitters. In any case, I don't think they want to mess with Garland's mojo. He is pitching like an ace as the 5th starter. I doubt they mess with that. Besides, it would be kind of hard to switch the rotation around at this point.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 04:50 AM)
Good point.  Either that or El Duque and Contreras need to nut up and throw strikes.  I know alot of El Duque's game is pitching around guys but Contreras has great stuff and needs to challenge hitters.  In any case, I don't think they want to mess with Garland's mojo.  He is pitching like an ace as the 5th starter.  I doubt they mess with that.  Besides, it would be kind of hard to switch the rotation around at this point.

But see now is when you can do it. If they wanted they could delay Contreras's next start, have El Duque take that game (because of the off day he would have full rest) and drop Contreras back into the rotation after Garland's regular turn.

But see now is when you can do it. If they wanted they could delay Contreras's next start, have El Duque take that game (because of the off day he would have full rest) and drop Contreras back into the rotation after Garland's regular turn.

I'm betting that they don't want to mess with Garland's fragile psyche. :lol:

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 05:45 AM)
I think it would be wise to split up El Duque and Contreras. Having them back to back has worn down the bullpen in their consecutive days, and then the other 3 are going 7 innings or so pretty regularly. With days off on Thursday and Monday, now would be a good time to make this adjustment.

I think that is a pretty darned good idea actually. Especially with Garland now working deep into games. I guess we will have to wait and see whether Jose is healthy or not to see if we even could do this.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 04:50 AM)
Good point.  Either that or El Duque and Contreras need to nut up and throw strikes.  I know alot of El Duque's game is pitching around guys but Contreras has great stuff and needs to challenge hitters.  In any case, I don't think they want to mess with Garland's mojo.  He is pitching like an ace as the 5th starter.  I doubt they mess with that.  Besides, it would be kind of hard to switch the rotation around at this point.

I agree that Duque and Contreras need to throw more strikes. Even they havent been really rocked yet their starts are an adventure to say the least.

Great point about breaking up Contreras and El Duque from a bullpen standpoint.

I do like them together from a matchup standpoint. One night, the Sox have a flame-throwing starter on the mound with a potentially dominant splitter. The next night (as the rotation goes), they put out a junkballer who knows how to pitch and change speeds. I think there is some advantage to that.

Maybe the rotation should be (for mixing up the opposition) Garcia (fastball/curve), Buehrle (cut fastball, sinker), Contreras (fastball, splitter), El Duque (everything), Garland (power sinker, curveball).

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)

Actually it would be pretty easy for them to do it right now and they can use Jose's bad hammy as the excuse to do it.

Move El Duque, Garland and Buehrle up for the Tigger series(they would all still be on 4 days rest) and pitch Jose C in the KC opener giving him an extra 4 days of rest for his hammy. Walla!

I also like this move because it puts Buehrle and Jose back to back and gives apponents a change of pac(ing) with the pitchers(Buehrle working fast, Jose slow), it could save Jose 5-10 pitches a game which could mean as much as an extra inning from him.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 04:45 AM)
I think it would be wise to split up El Duque and Contreras. Having them back to back has worn down the bullpen in their consecutive days, and then the other 3 are going 7 innings or so pretty regularly. With days off on Thursday and Monday, now would be a good time to make this adjustment.

good call, those two run up pitch counts like its their job...its nice to see intelligent ideas on here every now and then