Pierzynski's toe...

Jabroni

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug27.html

CRUSTY NAIL: The ugliest toe in the majors received another rest as A.J. Pierzynski was kept out of the lineup for the third consecutive day.

Pierzynski was hit on his right big toe by a pitch during Saturday's game in Kansas City. Schneider said he had to drill three holes in Pierzynski's toenail on Monday, and the pressure built up inside and caused blood to squirt out.

Nevertheless, Pierzynski told Guillen he was available if necessary the past two days.

What a ballsy mofo. :notworthy

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 06:32 AM)

Actually it's not that tough of a thing to do. One of my Scouts had a boulder roll on his toe while we were at summer camp. We took a sewing needle later that night and drilled through the nail to relieve the pressure of the blood that was pooling under the nail. Remember your nail has no nerves and doesn't hurt when cut.

The alternate route is under the nail, while that is easier to get through, that hurts when you pry through.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
The easiest way to do this procedure is to heat the needle or paper clip or whatever you use.  It will just melt right through the nail.  No drilling needed.

My sister had to have this done years ago when we were kids.. wasn't that big of a deal for her.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:15 AM)
My sister had to have this done years ago when we were kids.. wasn't that big of a deal for her.

That's what I'm saying. Drilling it can be painful as it's already under pressure. It just takes a touch with a hot instrument.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
The easiest way to do this procedure is to heat the needle or paper clip or whatever you use.  It will just melt right through the nail.  No drilling needed.

My sister had that done as well as Brian (a couple times). The last time when I got home from work (he broke his hand at work and the doctor was going to pierce the nail and Brian said that he or his sister would - she is a CFD paramedic), and he made sure he waited to do that until I was home and proceeded to chase me around with the blood squirting out. Then of course later when the nail was about to fall off he made sure he showed me several times then as well lol.

I had half of a big toe nail removed once because it was ingrown and it sucked. They put this huge gauze around it, so you can't fit a shoe and it hurts like hell. It took like 7 days before I was back in a shoe. Toe injuries sound like sissy injuries, but they're really a pain in the ass more than anything.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
My sister had that done as well as Brian (a couple times).  The last time when I got home from work (he broke his hand at work and the doctor was going to pierce the nail and Brian said that he or his sister would - she is a CFD paramedic), and he made sure he waited to do that until I was home and proceeded to chase me around with the blood squirting out.  Then of course later when the nail was about to fall off he made sure he showed me several times then as well lol.

Ain't love grand? :)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:37 AM)
I had half of a big toe nail removed once because it was ingrown and it sucked. They put this huge gauze around it, so you can't fit a shoe and it hurts like hell. It took like 7 days before I was back in a shoe.  Toe injuries sound like sissy injuries, but they're really a pain in the ass more than anything.

Having the nail removed and drilling through it is two completely different things.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
get out, really?

Yea.. really. Which is why one hurts and one doesn't. And why a man is a sissy baby if he cries when having a hole put in his toe nail.

I bet he cries when he get's his hair cut, too. :crying

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
I have hear that as soon as you are done with the drilling though, the relief of the pain is so great that the drilling is nothing.

That's what Brian told me when he used a hot pin on his middle finger nail after getting in caught on the feeder area (I think) of the press.