Sniff, sniff...

Steff

I'm gonna have to put my cat Sam to sleep... :crying

He's had several bladder infections over the past few months which have caused him to have some accidents in the house... (luckily he was smart enough to do this on the tile and not the carpet). Anyway.. I'm way bummed. He's 9... been with me through a lot of crap.

What's the process for putting a cat down..? Can I be with him when he passes?

Damn that really sucks Steff. I kinda know what your going through, my cat about 2 years ago also had a bladder infection and almost died, we're very lucky he's still with us today. My thoughts are with you.

I'm physically ill over this. Sam is like a human. We call him.. he comes. We ask him questions, he meows back. He sleeps with us every night.. right next to me with his head resting on my arm until I fall asleep then he moves over next to Jim..

s***.. this sucks so bad.

:crying :crying :crying :crying

Sorry to hear. Yes, you can be with the critter. I had to put my dog down a few years ago, and I will warn you it was the hardest thing I have ever done. After she was gone, I just sat in the room with her for about a half hour. She was the dog I had since I was a kid, and she was the most unique puppy you could ever find. Hell, I'm tearing up right now thinking about her. She lived to be 17 though.

It'll be hard, but if it needs to be done, know that you will be there with the critter and that you have done all you can. :pray :pray :pray

I know my cat is nearing the end, due to liver problems, and it sounds as if she and Sam would get along fine. Same types of cats. Hang in there.

Edited by Kid Gleason

Kid.. is it peaceful..? He wont feel any pain will he..??

s***.. I just feel like crap over this. I don't understand why the behavior has changed so drastically. He has never once had an accident before. And him and the dogs get along fine.. I just don't get it.

I'm so sad..

I had to put my cat down that I've had for 10 years back in January. She was the sweetest cat.

You can be there with them, but I couldn't stomach it. They don't feel anything, and it's pretty quick.

Sorry to hear that Steff, I definitely know what it's like, having just done it a couple of months ago.

Take care of yourself. And just enjoy Sam's company until you go. He'll enjoy yours, too, and that's what matters.

edit: you can try some things - if all it is is a bladder infection.

I can also tell you that it sounds like your cat might be diabetic. You can treat it, if you wanted. I know way more about this then I want to.

Are his eyes kind of glassy?

And, they make some powder that attracts cats to go to the bathroom...

It all depends on how much you would want to spend. If it's diabetic, it would cost about $20 a month average for the stuff to take care of him. And they do not feel a thing. My other cat feels great after regulating her sugar levels.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)

s***.. I just feel like crap over this. I don't understand why the behavior has changed so drastically. He has never once had an accident before. And him and the dogs get along fine.. I just don't get it.

I'm so sad..

No, it doesn't seem painful at all. I don't want to describe it too much. I also understand your situation somewhat. We had a cat last a few years ago, Ghidorah, and she was a VERY skittish cat. She spent most of her time in hiding. But she also almost never used the litter box in her 10 years. We were always finding her using anything else. When my son was born, he was the type of kid who put everything in his mouth. I thried EVERYTHING I could to try and cure the cat. Pills to calm her down, tried giving her a bathroom to herself to live in, where I would go and spend a ton of time with her to try and make her less skittish (I was one of the ones she DIDN'T like for some reason). But nothing worked. We couldn't have her still doing this with the new kid, plus we were in a brand new house that no longer smelled new, but rather smelled of kitty pee.

My wife had finally had it, and after I had called every place in the Chicagoland area to see if they would take a cat, and was refused by evereybody, my wife took the cat in. My wife was the one the cat liked the most. But we decided that even if we did find a place to take her, with as neurotic as she was, it would have been a greater torture.

Before you decide 100% to take the steps you are thinking of taking, check all of your resources. You might be able to find a happy medium between you and your cat. If he does like carpet, look into trying to find a place for him to use, and see if he sticks to those areas. Or if you have a spare room, try giving the cat a little place of his own. It might seem like torture to give the cat a room to live in, but some cats are rather comfortable in that situation. My cat was living in a bathroom, but she actually seemed to like being all by herself with nothing to freak her out.

But if you do have to take your steps, it does not appear painful at all. Plus keep it in mind that you have probably done all you can. Living with a cat having accidents is VERY hard to deal with. Trust me, I was there for almost 10 years.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)

I'm so sad..

No pain. Very peaceful. My sympathies to Steff.

I tried keeping him alone and retraining him.. it worked for 2 weeks. It’s almost like he’s doing it out of spite. We have completely altered our house for him. Put up a net so he couldn’t get to the places he was messing.. put down foil (he just moved it out of his way). And even gave him Prozac (or something like it for cats) and that didn’t work. I don’t want to cage him for 2 months. He’s extremely social and IMO that would kill him. I have called a zillion places but he’s declawed all the way around.. and he’s 9.. he’s set in his ways and is not really all that fond of kids so I don’t want to place him with another family. I know I’m doing the right thing for my sanity.. I am struggling with him not really having an ailment. If he had cancer or something I might be better with this. But we can’t do it anymore. It’s stressing me out so bad that I have become OCD like in doing a walk thru the house every morning and when we come home.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
I tried keeping him alone and retraining him.. it worked for 2 weeks. It’s almost like he’s doing it out of spite. We have completely altered our house for him. Put up a net so he couldn’t get to the places he was messing..  put down foil (he just moved it out of his way). And even gave him Prozac (or something like it for cats) and that didn’t work. I don’t want to cage him for 2 months. He’s extremely social and IMO that would kill him. I have called a zillion places but he’s declawed all the way around.. and he’s 9.. he’s set in his ways and is not really all that fond of kids so I don’t want to place him with another family. I know I’m doing the right thing for my sanity.. I am struggling with him not really having an ailment. If he had cancer or something I might be better with this. But we can’t do it anymore. It’s stressing me out so bad that I have become OCD like in doing a walk thru the house every morning and when we come home.

It sounds like you've done a lot. The only thing that you might check is the sugar level of the cat. Other then that, you've done a lot - and you can take comfort in that. It's a hard decision...

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
It sounds like you've done a lot.  The only thing that you might check is the sugar level of the cat.  Other then that, you've done a lot - and you can take comfort in that.  It's a hard decision...

We've had just under $1600 in "just in case" tests run on him.. The bladder infections were all they found.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
Sounds VERY similar to my old situation. Perfectly healthy cat, no place will take the cat, no claws, spite, too old...doesn't like kids. Is Sam an orange cat? Maybe Ghidorah's spirit went to Sam when she passed.

He's mostly white with tan markings. I'll take a picture of him before I take him tomorow..

:crying :crying

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
We've had just under $1600 in "just in case" tests run on him..  The bladder infections were all they found.

Yea, THAT I can definitely relate to.

I'm sorry, Steff. It sucks when you realize that the day has come.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
He's mostly white with tan markings. I'll take a picture of him before I take him tomorow.. 

:crying  :crying

I have a ton of regret about the picture situation with Ghidorah. Since she was soooo skittish, the only pictures of her that exist are the ones of her when she was a kitten. Nobody ever saw her after that.

Now my other cat, Roadkill, that dang thing has millions of pictures because she is such an attention hog.