Sniff, sniff...

Steff

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
Damnit.. I just realized several of my work passwords have versions of sam's legal name.. :crying

My cat was named "Ghidorah" after the three headed dragon in the Godzilla movies. My house is FULL of Godzilla toys, posters, books, magazines...you name it, and there is a movie with him in it on atleast once a week in my house. Names will haunt you.

Odd thing though, my wife named the cat...not me.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
My cat was named "Ghidorah" after the three headed dragon in the Godzilla movies. My house is FULL of Godzilla toys, posters, books, magazines...you name it, and there is a movie with him in it on atleast once a week in my house. Names will haunt you.

Odd thing though, my wife named the cat...not me.

I'm already thinking of new kitty names.. I think Sidney will be very lonely if he doesn't have someone to pal around with.

Yeah, they need buddies. I should get another one to hang with Road, but she is getting old and crabby, so it might backfire. Plus she has been alone for awhile. If you do get another one, I would do it soon after.

I am really sorry about this. Losing a pet is never easy, and this route is really tough. It's hard to get your mind to fully accept that the only reason you are doing what you are doing is out of love for the animal.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Yeah, they need buddies. I should get another one to hang with Road, but she is getting old and crabby, so it might backfire. Plus she has been alone for awhile. If you do get another one, I would do it soon after.

I am really sorry about this. Losing a pet is never easy, and this route is really tough. It's hard to get your mind to fully accept that the only reason you are doing what you are doing is out of love for the animal.

Sidney is older and was alone for a year before I got Sam so I am going to wait to see how he adjusts. If he's fine with it, then I wont get one. He's a registered Bengal and they are typically loners.. him and Sam faught a lot but still I would catch them bathing eachother once in a while. :crying

I'm struggling with doing this with nothing really wrong with him. That is definitely the hardest part. I feel so guilty.

My sympathies, Steff, it never is easy. But I'd also urge you to maybe take a last ditch stab at finding a home for it if it really just comes down to the uncontrolled peeing (ie, the infection is not causing the animal unbearable pain). It might be hard as hell getting somebody to take on a problem animal, but there are some big hearted people out there.

We have 5 cats (most times I think it's about 4 too many, but we fall in that big hearted/stupid category). My oldest is almost 20 and has been with me since he was 6 months old. He's almost blind and has arthritis and is also to the point of peeing everywhere but the box. With the new house this is a nightmare. But damn, he still wants to be here, still gets off on being part of the mix, and refuses to give up the ghost.

It's very peaceful when they are put down, and you can be there. I took my wifes' long-time family cat in to be put to sleep (inoperable mouth and tongue cancer) and she went very peacefully. In her case, she definately got to the point where her quality of life had deteriorated drastically and it was her time.

two years ago we went to Maryland for Christmas and our neighbor was watching our dogs..

We had a Chow named KC, we had him for at least 11 years.. Well the neighbor didnt put him inside on new years, the fire works scared him and he got through the fence and ran away.. We couldnt find him, I assume he is dead now.. but that was one of the saddest things I had to go through cause like I had had him since I was like 9

Jim.. it's both that he's doing. And he no longer has any infection. It's more like habit now. I've called 24 places this morning.. they are afraid of a 9 year old cat with behavior issues and no claws. Can't blame them.

I'm still trying and will until his appointment tomorrow. But it doesn't look good.

I happen to email my old neighbor because she had to put her cat down last year.. and surprisingly she told me it was for the same thing! She tried with no success for 7 months to change his habits and the vets kept telling her that males after 7 years old usually do not alter from bathroom behavior and that it's mainly due to lazy plumbing. I have never heard that... Apparently as males age their piping becomes frail and they have trouble making it to the box in time. She said her cat got so bad that he would "go" while he was walking to the box.. :o

She tried to find him a new home also but like I've been told several times today a cat that old without claws is not a good fit in a new home.

Not making it any easier.. but a small bit of comfort that others have encountered this problem.

I'm sorry to hear this Steff. I know what you're going through. About three years ago we had our cat die of a tumor when he was only 7. Then we got another cat and he disappeared after only a few months. Then we finally got another one and has been with us ever since.

Edited by whitesoxin'

Steff I'm really sorry to hear that. It really sucks losing a pet...I think all pet owners will understand when I say a pet is a family member. I remember when my dog died it was one of the saddest days in my life. We had it from when I was 4 or 5 years old. I remember the damn dog used to run around and chase me and whenever I got home it would run over, knock me over (remember I was small and my dog was quite large) and would just start licking my face.

Pets are awesome and it will suck but you'll always have the memories Steff. Very sad news though..all the best to you.

So Sam is gone... peaceful for the most part.. but he did put up a fight. As it turns out he did have an issue with his bladder. When we took him in she did an exam first and noticed that it was swollen nearly 3 times the size it should be.. a clear indication that he has a tumor, and at the rate of growth definitely fatal. It gave me a bit of comfort.. but I was extremely sad. A lot of crying.. but a sense of relief for him as he took his last breath. Jim and I don't think we'll get anymore pets than the 3 others we have now. It was just too hard doing that...

Thanks for the kind words everyone.