Men Dig Up Buried Treasure Worth $100,000

Queen Prawn

Men Dig Up Buried Treasure Worth $100,000

METHUEN, Mass. -- Two Massachusetts men digging around a tree have uncovered buried treasure.

They found the loot in a wooden box. It contained $100, $1 , $2 and $20 bills, all dating as far back as 1899.

The cash, along with gold and silver certificates and a few bank notes, was inside rusty tin cans placed inside the box.

A local coin collector said the buried treasure is real and is worth more than $100,000.

Some speculate boot-leggers or bank robbers buried the valuables.

The men said they didn't care where it came from, they were just thrilled to find it.

"All of sudden, I find this rotten crate with all these tin cans of money," said Tim Crebase. "Bills after bills after bills after bills. It was unreal."

As for their new found riches, one of the men said he planned to buy a new car, the other said he planned to use the money to help promote his rock band.

There are a few pictures of the money they found on the story's web page. I've seen silver certificates before, but not the gold certs or the 1907 $5 bill or the $2 George Washington silver certificate bill.

That is sooooo cool!!! Honestly, I think I would have a hard time cashing it in! I am such a nut for old stuff, that I would find it cool to just look at the dang things. I would definetly keep one bill of each though. My wife would snag the rest and cash it in. :D