Sox rated worst franshise to root for

frahungski

Hell I think he's right. Its tough being a Sox fan. It seems the Sox never really suck, but at the same time they are never good enough to get to the series, etc and on top of things they got knocked really hard in the media.

I'd agree with most of his writing, although he's got one thing wrong, the Sox aren't going to fall off the face of the earth this year. This team will battle.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
Hell I think he's right.  Its tough being a Sox fan.  It seems the Sox never really suck, but at the same time they are never good enough to get to the series, etc and on top of things they got knocked really hard in the media.

I'd agree with most of his writing, although he's got one thing wrong, the Sox aren't going to fall off the face of the earth this year.  This team will battle.

So you agree we're difficult to root for because are organization doesn't embrace a losing tradition, fails to play in a magestic beer garden, and employs a homer for broadcaster? These all are ridiculous reasons. All of them. Hate our philosohpy, our players, or Ozzie Guillen.

These tabloid pieces are probably why Mark Bechtel, whoever the hell he is, is left writing blogs which are hidden on Sports Illustrated's website. Oddly enough, his devotion is to Indians baseball.

Bechtel admits to being "an avid Indians and Browns fan, almost to a fanatical extreme."

http://www.cnnsi.com/inside_game/archives/mark_bechtel/

8-11 is hardly the start expected of his beloved Indians. :bang

Edited by Flash Tizzle

My email to Bechtel...

If your ultimate point is that it's frustrating to be a White Sox fan...I have to agree with you. It ain't easy. We dont settle for losing like cubs fans do. So when we lose year after year it sucks...it eats away at you. It pisses us off, ruins our day, but we dont quit. We count the days till spring training. We don't say ah who cares. We want better. We keep coming back with new found optimism so when it does happen we can say "I was there back when..." The Sox are a hard working team that makes the best of what they have and that epitomizes the makeup of a lot of us fans.

We have had a total of 6 things to be happy about in the last 87 years...

A World Series title: 1917

Pennants: 1919, 1959 and

Division titles: 1983, 1993, 2000

6 things!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell yeah it's frustrating

If those things make the sox hard to root for then I agree, but all you listed were some jackass comments...about our stadium, our announcer and our coach.

I got news for ya pal...I don't want to win for losing...I don't want to be lovable losers. Not caring about winning games doesn't make a team better to root for. I don't want a broken down urinal for a ballpark. I want the state of the art facility we have. I like a biased announcer that roots like a fan and I like a fiery coach that is just one of the guys.

If those are really your reasons for the White Sox being the worst team to root for, then you should stick to writing about NASCAR. Flat tire here, bad pit crew there...that's clearly more your speed...cause you don't know s*** about the Sox.

I love the Sox and have been a die-hard fan since I was a little kid, BUT, that being said, it is difficult to be a Sox fan. That is what makes it so rewarding.

The local media, national media, casual sports fans, people who wouldn't know a curve ball from a billiard ball, and just about everyone one else in the world wants the Cubs to win a World Series.

Also, I know many on this board live in Bridgeport, but as much as I hate to admit it, Wrigleyville is a cooler place to hang out before/after/ or even on non game days. For some reason the Cubs have been lovable losers whereas the Sox have been basically mediocre for much of the past 20 years.

The strike did not help us either. Sosa began booming homers just as our owner was being blamed (rightly or wrongly is up for debate) for killing our World Series hopes.

As scared as I am about the prospect of it happening, the best thing to happen to the Sox would be for the Cubs to win the World Series. Yeah, I said it. If they won, we would have to endure about two years of utter torture, but then, they would just be another team. The mystique, the lovable loser tag, that old f*** Sam Siannis, the goat, Ronny Woo-Woo, and Ronny Boo-Hoo Santo, would all be just parts of the story from that year and all that curse crap would be over. They'd just be another team then.

JMO.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
As scared as I am about the prospect of it happening, the best thing to happen to the Sox would be for the Cubs to win the World Series. Yeah, I said it. If they won, we would have to endure about two years of utter torture, but then, they would just be another team. The mystique, the lovable loser tag, that old f*** Sam Siannis, the goat, Ronny Woo-Woo, and Ronny Boo-Hoo Santo, would all be just parts of the story from that year and all that curse crap would be over. They'd just be another team then.

JMO.

I agree with you until what you said above. I disagree completely. Look at all the Red Sox s*** that we have to hear about now. If the cubs won it all, consider all casual fans of the sox gone, and we might as well move to FLA.

Does this guy have a personal vendetta against Hawk? Like he is being any more professional than Harrelson by pinning him as a reason the Sox are the worst team to root for. What a douchebag.

Edited by 3E8

Cleveland. The city of champions!

In the NBA, they have the Cavs. Need I say more about that? Compare their history to the Bulls. No f***ing contest.

NFL. The Browns, part 2. The victims of "The Drive". Never made the Super Bowl. STFU

NHL .... Well, never mind. They don't even qualify.

Sox vs. Tribe ... about the same. They made the series in '97 but lost. They lost in '54 and we lost in '59. Not much for either franchise to brag about.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
I agree with you until what you said above.  I disagree completely.  Look at all the Red Sox s*** that we have to hear about now.  If the cubs won it all, consider all casual fans of the sox gone, and we might as well move to FLA.

Oh the REd Sox deserve their day in the sun right now. They came back from 0-3 to the Yanks and swept the Cards. The Cubs winning would make our lives miserable for a few years. Then, the expectations would be very high for them and no one would be cheering their manager for having two winning seasons in a row for the first time in a millenium. What would be the cache of a sub-.500 that won the World Series six years ago.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
My email to Bechtel...

If your ultimate point is that it's frustrating to be a White Sox fan...I have to agree with you.  It ain't easy.  We dont settle for losing like cubs fans do.  So when we lose year after year it sucks...it eats away at you.  It pisses us off, ruins our day, but we dont quit.  We count the days till spring training.  We don't say ah who cares.  We want better.  We keep coming back with new found optimism so when it does happen we can say "I was there back when..."  The Sox are a hard working team that makes the best of what they have and that epitomizes the makeup of a lot of us fans.

We have had a total of 6 things to be happy about in the last 87 years...

A World Series title: 1917

Pennants: 1919, 1959 and

Division titles: 1983, 1993, 2000

6 things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hell yeah it's frustrating

If those things make the sox hard to root for then I agree, but all you listed were some jackass comments...about our stadium, our announcer and our coach. 

I got news for ya pal...I don't want to win for losing...I don't want to be lovable losers.  Not caring about winning games doesn't make a team better to root for.  I don't want a broken down urinal for a ballpark. I want the state of the art facility we have.  I like a biased announcer that roots like a fan and I like a fiery coach that is just one of the guys.

If those are really your reasons for the White Sox being the worst team to root for, then you should stick to writing about NASCAR.  Flat tire here, bad pit crew there...that's clearly more your speed...cause you don't know s*** about the Sox.

Bravo- I don't think it could have been said better

Edited by palehose23

John Donovan calls the Cubs the saddest sack franchise in the league in his latest column. Maybe he and this other dude can have a debate over which Chicago team they think is worse to root for and why.

And we can all ignore them. :ph34r:

It's actually more of a slap in the face towards Cub fans than Sox fans.

The basis of ranking the White Sox as #1 in that dept is the fact that they share with the Cubs the longest drought since winning a World Series.

He points out the Cubs are first in that dept but they don't care. They are loveable losers. They never expect to win. Cub fans exist because Wrigley field does. But Sox fans do care. They exist to win. It matters not where in Chicagoland the team plays. So when fans have high expectations to win every year & don't that has to be the worse feeling. I can't say I disagree with him.

The sarcasm is so rich wrt to the Cubs that he eludes to the possibility the team would lose it's identity if it were to win. Would Cub fans become unhappy if they could no longer be called the loveable losers?

In the same article he has a picture of Tropicana field & is clearly depicting that team as being the worst right now. A horrible place to play & a lousy team to boot.