SHOOT ME PLEASE!

---

Wainwright replaces Leitao, who left for UVaBy Andy Katz

ESPN.com

Richmond's Jerry Wainwright has accepted an offer to be the next head coach at DePaul, multiple sources close to the situation told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

A news conference has tentatively been called for Thursday afternoon at DePaul to announce the hiring. Wainwright, 58, is replacing Dave Leitao, who left two weeks ago to replace Pete Gillen as head coach at Virginia. Wainwright is expected to sign a five-year deal, ranging from $500,000 to $700,000, according to a source close to the negotiation.

Wainwright is one of two coaches who interviewed for the position, along with Western Michigan's Steve Hawkins. Wainwright is from Chicago area.

Prior to his stint at Richmond, Wainwright was the head coach at UNC Wilmington. He's known to be one of the most respected coaches in the country, especially because of his defensive principles. Wainwright led teams to the NCAA Tournament in 2000 and 2002 at UNC Wilmington and 2004 at Richmond.

Wainwright will take with him assistant coach Gary DeCesare, a noted New York-area coach who could recruit well for DePaul as it prepares to enter the Big East next season. Wainwright will also bring his son, Scott, an assistant on Richmond's staff.

The rest of his staff is up for discussion and could include DePaul assistants Josh Oppenheimer and Tyler Jones, who didn't go with Leitao.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

---

f***

I don't wanna believe it's true...

No disrespect to DePaul, but who did you think you were gonna get? Gonna pry someone away from a bigger more successful school? DePaul isn't the program it used to be obviously. They are gonna have to hire a mid major coach and hope he excells.

QUOTE(Brian @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
No disrespect to DePaul, but who did you think you were gonna get? Gonna pry someone away from a bigger more successful school? DePaul isn't the program it used to be obviously. They are gonna have to hire a mid major coach and hope he excells.

i thought maybe someone a little bigger, because they have some good recruits coming in this year

QUOTE(Brian @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)

No disrespect to anyone not familiar with the coaching search, but some big-time names were showing interest, and many better mid-major coaches were available. This program was back on the rise. The move to the Big East, along with recent success, called for a better hire. It was very possible, but the program cheaped out. The close to 2 million Leitao buyout should have been put to better use...

AFter reading some about Wainwright, I think it's a good hire. He's a Chicago guy, coached in the IHSA. He's bringing a NY recruiting assistant. He's brought success to the schools he's coached. Richmond and UNC-Wilmington were nothing before he got there. Coaches and players seem to respect him. He's not Majerus. He's not Dakich. But that's ok. I think you have a little Self-Weber syndrome. Give it a year or two and DePaul will be pretty good.

The guy was at Richmond, had to recruit against other schools in that region along the lines of Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest (shall i continue?)

This guy is from Illinois and realizes the seriousness of getting the Chicago recruit. While i would have rather have had Lavin formerly of UCLA, i'd rather have Wainright than the obese and under motivated Rick Majerus, or the guy who deems it necessary to match his tie's with his highlighters Digger Phelps.

Color me optimistic.