Land of the Dead Trailer now out!!!!

KipWellsFan

I'm hoping this is better than Monkey Shines ::shudders::

But Romero is still one of the greats -- I mean, not even just the cahones to cast a black man as a lead in 1968 but while his movies are entertaining zombie flicks, they carry with them a really interesting underlying message (race relations in "Night", mindless consumerism in "Dawn", etc.)

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
More dead people.

This is getting a bit played out.

Like LCR and Kip said though, when someone like Romero who started the zombie widescreen genre comes back for another go at it, IMO its quite worth teh effort to check it out.

Being slightly connected to Horror films, this is a day I have been dreaming of for 20 years now! There are zombie films out there, and then there are Romero's Zombie films! The only other person alive today that could get me excited about a new zombie flick would be Michelle Soavi who did the amazing Dellamorte Dellamore, but even that is just more out of respect for Soavi as a director. But only Fulci, who is dead now, could even come close to the greatness that a Romero flick holds.

And come on, Monkey Shines was a decent thriller. Romero's biggest stumble in his career, IMO, was the last film he did which was called Bruiser. I liked it just fine, and it carried many Romero trademarks, but as we had all waited so long for a new Romero, it was a bit of a let down.

Advance word on LOTD is quite good.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 07:34 AM)

So good in fact, they moved up the release date to a Big Summer Weekend.

Also, as stated above in a previous post, his Zombie flicks always had an underlying message. From what I read about this film and from the trailer, George is making an allusion to Terrorism and the USA.

The plot is simple...

In a modern-day world where the walking dead roam an uninhabited wasteland, the living try to lead "normal" lives behind the walls of a fortified city. A new society has been built by a handful of enterprising, ruthless opportunists, who live in the towers of a skyscraper, high above the hard-scrabble existence on the streets below. But outside the city walls, an army of the dead is evolving. Inside, anarchy is on the rise.

I am assuming this fortified city is the USA and the zombies are terrorists.

We can't no longer hide, we have to fight.

So thats cool...and I hope we see people get eaten too!! :D

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
So good in fact, they moved up the release date to a Big Summer Weekend.

I am assuming this fortified city is the USA and the zombies are terrorists.

Well, if Romero is true to form, the fortified city will be Pittsburgh – his home town and the location of all his zombie films. Romero is to Pittsburgh what John waters and Barry Levinson are to Baltimore.

And since I see Tom Savini is involved in the new one my expectations remain very high. Should be good.

As for a good non-zombie Romero offering, check out 'Martin' if you ever get a chance. It came out right before Dawn and was greatly overshadowed by it. It's about a 17-year old kid who may actually be an 80-year old vampire, and about his cousin who has told him he's going to save his soul and then kill him. sway more subtle and understated than the zombie body of work.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
And since I see Tom Savini is involved in the new one my expectations remain very high.  Should be good.

Savini did no FX for it though. I believe FX were handled by Greg Nicotero or others from KNB, or connected to them. They were also involved in Day Of The Dead, so their is still a link.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
Savini did no FX for it though. I believe FX were handled by Greg Nicotero or others from KNB, or connected to them. They were also involved in Day Of The Dead, so their is still a link.

You're joking!?!

Savini's just a cast member and that's it?

What's up with that?

Savini no longer has the time or desire to be a 100% FX guy. He has his school that takes up much of his time. I believe the last film he did that carried his name for the main FX was Monkey Shines or Two Evil Eyes, and since then, it has been nothing. Even on those films and on Day Of The Dead he was more supervising than anything else. Rick Baker is still more hands on than Savini was in his final films.

And also, no, the film was shot in either Toronto or Quebec. I am not sure if the locale is supposed to be Pittsburgh or not, but it was not shot there. Romero was able to use more of the budget that he wanted that way. Plus, on his last shoot for Bruiser, he fell in love with the area, so he went back there. I have refused to read the script, so I am not sure where it takes place though. Plus, rumour has it that the last script that was circulating is quite different than what actually was filmed.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 07:34 AM)
Being slightly connected to Horror films, this is a day I have been dreaming of for 20 years now! There are zombie films out there, and then there are Romero's Zombie films! The only other person alive today that could get me excited about a new zombie flick would be Michelle Soavi who did the amazing Dellamorte Dellamore, but even that is just more out of respect for Soavi as a director. But only Fulci, who is dead now, could even come close to the greatness that a Romero flick holds.

And come on, Monkey Shines was a decent thriller. Romero's biggest stumble in his career, IMO, was the last film he did which was called Bruiser. I liked it just fine, and it carried many Romero trademarks, but as we had all waited so long for a new Romero, it was a bit of a let down.

Bruiser was pretty damn terrible. Seeing Romero's name on it and totally loving his previous works, I was really let down.