Wireless Networking

sox4lifeinPA

I spent all day setting up a wireless network in a 10,000 sq/ft house. I'm still not done due to all the hallways, multiple floors and funny angles. Anyone have experience "wi-fi-ing" an office or house?

I'm using this for the main computer:

wrt54gs.jpg

Wireless Router 54GS

and these in two other pcs:

wmp54gs.jpg

Wireless PCI 54GS

and this to "bounce" the signal upstairs and down a hall:

wre54g.jpg

Wireless Expander "repeater"

any tips would be appreciated

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
I spent all day setting up a wireless network in a 10,000 sq/ft house. I'm still not done due to all the hallways, multiple floors and funny angles. Anyone have experience "wi-fi-ing" an office or house?

I'm using this for the main computer:

wrt54gs.jpg

Wireless Router 54GS

and these in two other pcs:

wmp54gs.jpg

Wireless PCI 54GS

and this to "bounce" the signal upstairs and down a hall:

wre54g.jpg

Wireless Expander "repeater"

any tips would be appreciated

For us we had to use the new belkin one. THe computers are far away and there is a lot of interference from phone lines and everything else. And the expanders worked horrid. It took me like 4 different tries and the belkin blows all of the other ones away. It wasn't cheap though, but we didn't need a range expander or anything so it ended up being a little less (plus comp USA has deals every once in a while).

Although you may have better luck, we have 2.4 GHZ phones in our house and that messes with the network as well. If we had the 5 GHZ or whatever they are it would of worked easier.

I just found some information at: http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article90.php

The main problem is the size of the house, but apparently that shouldn't be a problem. Me thinks I'm an idiot and need to reset the defaults on the router before the expander will work.

*stupid question alert* using a cable to connect the main PC to the router shouldn't effect the router's ability to broadcast to the house, right? How about XP SP1 compatibility with XP SP2? Will that effect network connections?

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
I just found some information at: http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article90.php

The main problem is the size of the house, but apparently that shouldn't be a problem. Me thinks I'm an idiot and need to reset the defaults on the router before the expander will work. 

*stupid question alert* using a cable to connect the main PC to the router shouldn't effect the router's ability to broadcast to the house, right? How about XP SP1 compatibility with XP SP2? Will that effect network connections?

Nah you should be good in that regards. Good luck getting it to work in that big of a house though. The expander should help, but make sure you have the main router in the middle of the house and go from there (also upstairs if you have the opportunity).

My dads place is pretty big, but what made it worse were the phones as well as the fact that the router is in my room which is downstairs on the far opposite end of where my sisters and step moms computers are.

Also just know that they bulls*** a whole lot in temrs of the range and good luck with that range thing. I've been told by my uncle (who does network stuff and all this other computer crap for a living) that the expanders don't work like half of the time. They just have trouble syncing in. Hell when I called linksys (I think it was them) to ask them what was up with there product they recommended me waiting for some new product to come out (the router with the build in range extender) because they even admitted the range extenders had a lot of trouble.

Hopefully you got one that works though. The next time I try to set up a network I hoep to hell the new N networks are out cause those will be way badass.

All I know is that with most wireless setups, the signal travels much better horizontally than vertically. If possible, have a router/repeater on any floor where you will have a computer.

Rotating the antenna sideways can improve signal quality in the vertical direction too but it's still pretty bad going through multiple stories.

Also make sure you set up good security. Use WPA and not any of the other stuff.

Watch for bathrooms, all the plumbing causes loss of signal. Their tech support is pretty good, but you will have to travel p the staircase if you encounter a rare problem. I have four computers on my home network, when I added a new computer and upgraded another with a new motherboard and Windoze XP, I was on with tech support for a couple hours.

Firewall.

I'm having some success with the expander. I would say I have 5 out of 10 knowledge on computers and I understand what to do with the equipment I have. believe it or not, the vertical reception is not the problem, it's the horizontal. Going through the floor seems to be easier than going around corners.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
I'm having some success with the expander. I would say I have 5 out of 10 knowledge on computers and I understand what to do with the equipment I have. believe it or not, the vertical reception is not the problem, it's the horizontal. Going through the floor seems to be easier than going around corners.

you should be going through the walls. What's in the walls?

I've got a Wireless Setup down here and it's also pretty good. The Router and main Cable Modem is downstairs, and my computer is upstairs here in my room, and for the most part the signals are pretty good. That and it's made me a lot lazier. :ph34r:

Whether or not you know this or not, I do not know, so I'll go ahead and share.

The type of device you are using is only designed for a 500 foot radius.

As a person who sells networking devices as a part of my current occupation, I would consider checking out this product:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WPN824.php

Netgear's reputation isn't the best, but the reviews I've heard on this have been pretty stellar for the most part.

For the Linksys, there is also this to expand the range:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.as...cid=38&prid=643

I have those wireless routers in my house. I have the Lynksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G (top pic) for the main PC of the house, which has the cable modem. Then, in the PC upstairs, the secondary PC, I have the NIC (Network Interface Card) card with the antenna (2nd pic). Fortunately, we didn't need any expanders/deflectors. Only negative about it is that when the house phone rings, the waves ntercept the signal and you lose cennection until the phone hangs up.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 1, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
I have those wireless routers in my house. I have the Lynksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G (top pic) for the main PC of the house, which has the cable modem. Then, in the PC upstairs, the secondary PC, I have the NIC (Network Interface Card) card with the antenna (2nd pic). Fortunately, we didn't need any expanders/deflectors. Only negative about it is that when the house phone rings, the waves ntercept the signal and you lose cennection until the phone hangs up.

Ahhh, 2.4 GHz sucks. So many frequencies and 802.11 has to use the same one.