Armando Benitez

Damn it, he was my 5th or 6th overall pick.

I just released him and picked up Matt Herges. Hopefully, Fassero won't be getting any save opportunities.

This really sucks. Now my bullpen is hurting big time with only Joe Nathan, Derrick Turnbow, and Matt Herges.

Who else is furious about this Benitez injury? And who are you going to replace him with?

I'm looking to trade Vernon Wells for Guillermo Mota. The team that I'm looking to trade with has Wagner, Hoffman, Mota, Kolb, Baez, and Affeldt. Hopefully, Vernon's 2003 season still has folks interested in him, because I can't wait to get rid of him.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
I just released him and picked up Matt Herges.  Hopefully, Fassero won't be getting any save opportunities.

This really sucks.  Now my bullpen is hurting big time with only Joe Nathan, Derrick Turnbow, and Matt Herges. 

I'm looking to trade Vernon Wells for Guillermo Mota.  The team that I'm looking to trade with has Wagner, Hoffman, Mota, Kolb, Baez, and Affeldt.  Hopefully, Vernon's 2003 season still has folks interested in him, because I can't wait to get rid of him.

if your worried about fassero getting opportunities then pick him up, otherwise herges should get majority of the saves figuring hes been in the situation before.

On the other hand you can probably get kolb out of the deal too, or affeldt and drop herges because he tended to give up runs in the ninth and blow quite a few saves last year

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
5th pick in a 16-team league.

I might just see what Hoffman and Cordero can do for me for a while...

The Cordero situation is one that I'm watching very closely. I know that he makes Frank Robinson nervous as hell, although if you look at his numbers thus far, they're very impressive. I'm hoping for a meltdown so that I can pick up Luis Ayala.

I just released him and picked up Matt Herges.  Hopefully, Fassero won't be getting any save opportunities.

This really sucks.  Now my bullpen is hurting big time with only Joe Nathan, Derrick Turnbow, and Matt Herges. 

Who else is furious about this Benitez injury?  And who are you going to replace him with?

I'm looking to trade Vernon Wells for Guillermo Mota.  The team that I'm looking to trade with has Wagner, Hoffman, Mota, Kolb, Baez, and Affeldt.  Hopefully, Vernon's 2003 season still has folks interested in him, because I can't wait to get rid of him.

I had him on 2 teams. :crying

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
The Cordero situation is one that I'm watching very closely.  I know that he makes Frank Robinson nervous as hell, although if you look at his numbers thus far, they're very impressive.  I'm hoping for a meltdown so that I can pick up Luis Ayala.

Yeah, I'm obviously watching his numbers. I think he'll be fine. I'm more concerned with him getting some more save opportunities.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
On the other hand you can probably get kolb out of the deal too, or affeldt and drop herges because he tended to give up runs in the ninth and blow quite  a few saves last year

Kolb is the first guy that I considered asking him for, but he's been having a rough go of it thus far, despite the 6 saves.

From Yahoo Player Profiles:

"Kolb has already blown one save this season and currently has an 8.00 ERA. He is walking on thin ice with Bobby Cox and it shouldn't surprise fantasy owners to see him lose his starting job with a couple more outings like Tuesday's. If you can find an owner who will still give you something of value for Kolb, pull the trigger"

And he'll probably want a hell of a lot more than just Vernon Wells for either Hoffman or Wagner, so Mota is really the only guy who makes sense from my point of view.

My Bullpen is pretty stacked.

W-L ERA  SO  BB Saves
Francisco Rodríguez: 1-1 1.93 14  0   4
B.J. Ryan:           0-0 2.53 17  4   3
Chad Cordero:        2-1 0.77 12  3   4
Dustin Hermanson:    0-0 0.00  7  2   2
Scott Shields:       3-1 1.32 15  8   1
------------------------------------------
Totals:              6-3 1.35 65  17  14

I'm getting real good Wins out of my pen.

Plus great ERA, SO and WHIP numbers.

But I'm really hurting in the Saves category.

God Damn Ryan isn't giving me s*** and K-Rod has been pretty dissapointing.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
I am beginning to think that the Giants won't win more than 70 games this year. Things appear to be going very badly there and they are primed to flop. Herges will get you saves as long as he has the job but is a detriment to your whip and era

key words whip and era, he hurt me alot last year when i had him for the short time i did, you will just need to have pitchers who dont give up to many runs

So, I offered to trade Vernon Wells straight up for Mota, but the other team wasn't biting. Instead, he countered with Mota and Inge for Victor Martinez. Like Wells, Martinez kinda makes me sick, so I pulled the trigger.

Now, this was on April 28. This morning, the trade went through. I clicked on Mota's player profile only to find out that he'll be sidelined up to a month with elbow inflammation. :bang :bang :bang

I can't win.

My closers for May: Nathan, Turnbow, Herges, and Burgos.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 1, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
Like Wells, Martinez kinda makes me sick, so I pulled the trigger.

So many magazines and ''fantasy experts'' had martinez at the top of their lists of fantasy busts, or in other words players to stay away from. They figured he would be the number one catcher taken in the draft and not even be close to living up to it. I have seen a few times '' if you draft martinez you are a sucker and gonna regret it''. You could say they hit that right on the button thus far.

I've actually decided to pick up Benitez in league #1 for Bob Wickman. I'll stash him on the DL spot, and hopefully he'll be back in 4 months, plus Wickman has no almost no saves so far, and has been pretty worthless. Oh and I'm already 8 games out in front. W00t. :headbang

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 2, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
So many magazines and ''fantasy experts'' had martinez at the top of their lists of fantasy busts, or in other words players to stay away from. They figured he would be the number one catcher taken in the draft and not even be close to living up to it. I have seen a few times '' if you draft martinez you are a sucker and gonna regret it''. You could say they hit that right on the button thus far.

Yep, I definitely feel like a sucker. I think I was brainwashed for a few years by his "super prospect" status, though. Then he had a pretty good year in 2004, so I figured (along with just about everyone else) that he was on his way.

He was my 6th overall pick, and Benitez was my 5th. Both are gone. Fortunately, I've offset those bad picks with free agent acquistions like Clint Barmes, Gustavo Chacin, Dan Haren, Cliff Floyd, Derrick Turnbow, the trade for Guillermo Mota and Brandon Inge, etc. I'd also mention Jason Lane, but he's been in a serious funk. I'm getting ready to drop him for Brad Hawpe or someone.

OMG, Cliff Floyd :notworthy

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
I've actually decided to pick up Benitez in league #1 for Bob Wickman. I'll stash him on the DL spot, and hopefully he'll be back in 4 months, plus Wickman has no almost no saves so far, and has been pretty worthless. Oh and I'm already 8 games out in front. W00t.  :headbang

I'd have kept him if soxtalk leagues had more than one DL spot. As it is now, I have Lance Berkman, Frank Thomas, and Guillermo Mota on the DL. Keeping Benitez would have f***ed me up in the short term.

Who else is furious about this Benitez injury?  And who are you going to replace him with?

I feel for you. I drafted gagne with my 3rd or 4th pick (in a 12 team league)

My bullpen now after a few pickups and trades is

M. Rivera ( got him and adam eaton for c figgins and Mike hampton)

Francisco Rodriguez (got him for carlos zambrano and kaz matsui)

Dustin Hemanson

Turnbow

urbina

Gagne (DL)