Indie Music....

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 06:45 AM)
I just love the irony of something so subjective bringing out such judgements upon people.

Note the order of the judgement. 20 year old know it all kid thinks he's bloomington, Indiana's gift to music appreciation. Which by the way 3 of my friends went to U of I @ bloomington. One as a piano performance major, another for his Masters in Public Affairs and the last for a Doctored in Archaeology. I know where you're from kid. You're still full of crap. Every bit of music is a derivative of something previously written. Nothing can be purely original. You'd have to take a child born in the wild who has no preconceived notion of what music is to find pure innovation and originality.

I'm not claiming, nor did I ever claim, that the songs "prospects" by Wes Burdine and the Librarians was as innovative as The Flaming Lips or as good as song writing as Brian Wilson, however, if you cannot appreciate the elements to which said song pulls from those influences, then your head is way too far up your arse to save you.... and quite honestly, I feel really sorry for you. You're that kid that walks around saying everything is crap and then cites 2 German bands and whatever trendy world music is popular at the moment. I feel REALLY sorry for you.

Did you just reference High Fidelity?

I'm eager to hear the Raveonettes' new album. I liked the first full length but it didn't age well on me.

If you're looking for something new and downtempo, check out A Song About A Girls by Zita Swoon. Love that Belgian art rock.

The smart indie kids aren't about German music anymore. They're all about Sigur Ros, well at least til they "sold out" or something and LOVE Ben Folds even though he's way too popular for them.

Well, weather or not he wants to be famous, there are few who know underground at all who don't know who Ian MaKaye is. The man defined an entire genre of the punk scene, created one of the most important labels in the Punk scene, and turned out Brian Baker. Ian, and Fugazi, are pretty damned well-known.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
Well, weather or not he wants to be famous, there are few who know underground at all who don't know who Ian MaKaye is. The man defined an entire genre of the punk scene, created one of the most important labels in the Punk scene, and turned out Brian Baker. Ian, and Fugazi, are pretty damned well-known.

They are by no means main-stream. Well-known to people who want to know them or by name only.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
They are by no means main-stream.  Well-known to people who want to know them or by name only.

They might not be mainstream, but they are FAR from unknown. Ian is also not struggling for money. His side projects, lable, and Fugazi have pretty much set him up.

Does the Dischord house still exist? That was always a cool thing he did.

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
Did you just reference High Fidelity?

I'm eager to hear the Raveonettes' new album. I liked the first full length but it didn't age well on me.

If you're looking for something new and downtempo, check out A Song About A Girls by Zita Swoon. Love that Belgian art rock.

The smart indie kids aren't about German music anymore. They're all about Sigur Ros, well at least til they "sold out" or something and LOVE Ben Folds even though he's way too popular for them.

kraftwerk, falco...hasselhoff? yes

and I totally agree with your assessment.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 07:30 AM)
Note the order of the judgement.  20 year old know it all kid thinks he's bloomington, Indiana's gift to music appreciation. Which by the way 3 of my friends went to U of I @ bloomington. One as a piano performance major, another for his Masters in Public Affairs and the last for a Doctored in Archaeology. I know where you're from kid.  You're still full of crap. Every bit of music is a derivative of something previously written. Nothing can be purely original. You'd have to take a child born in the wild who has no preconceived notion of what music is to find pure innovation and originality.

I'm not claiming, nor did I ever claim, that the songs "prospects" by Wes Burdine and the Librarians was as innovative as The Flaming Lips or as good as song writing as  Brian Wilson, however, if you cannot appreciate the elements to which said song pulls from those influences, then your head is way too far up your arse to save you.... and quite honestly, I feel really sorry for you. You're that kid that walks around saying everything is crap and then cites 2 German bands and whatever trendy world music is popular at the moment.  I feel REALLY sorry for you.

You're missing my point completely and once again putting words in my mout, which you're quite good at when you come off as a pretentious asshole. I could easily refute the majority of what you said/implied, and I stated quite clearly that the aforementioned genres were only a sampling of my musical tastes. I could rattle off numerous German, American, etc. bands that I enjoy vehemently (Magyar Posse would be Finnish, despite the name), but how is my opinion less valid than yours? Of course music is influenced by the past, but there's a fairly obvious line between merely regurgitating past trends and building off of them. I find Wes Burdine to be merely mimicing what indie rock has done for years, and that's what I want to get at in saying that indie rock has become too hemoginized. There's nothing really new to it, and it's been stuck in neutral for years now.

I don't understand why you're so apprehensive to my opinion when I'm not rummaging through the indie scrapheap of the mid to late 90s to find seemingly inconsequencial bands that have brought nothing new to the table. I merely stated an opnion which you never bothered to try and refute and instead took swipes at my age, which shows a definite lack of maturity on your side when you can't handle a 19 year old saying that something you may like really isn't all that special. I've heard numerous times that "insert genre here isn't anything new" and there's a lot of validity in those claims, especially when it comes to post-rock. But I tend not to blindly lash out and instead attack personal character. People have differences, and if you're not ready to accept that, I feel sorry for you than you do to me. You refer to me as some sort of omniscient elitist and then you spout off some bulls*** about how you know where I'm from, etc.

Grow up, you've already shown how ignorant and protective you are, so I once again await your short paragraphs that hold no talking points whatsoever and instead demean people who criticize something minute.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
My question:

When did Green Day get a "boatload of talent"??? I guess they can play, but to say they have a bunch of talent is a bit off, IMO. Their stuff is pretty dang SUPER easy to play.

consider what is out there for popular rock music today, GD is pretty talented. haha

I totally agree

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
You're missing my point completely and once again putting words in my mout, which you're quite good at when you come off as a pretentious asshole. I could easily refute the majority of what you said/implied, and I stated quite clearly that the aforementioned genres were only a sampling of my musical tastes. I could rattle off numerous German, American, etc. bands that I enjoy vehemently (Magyar Posse would be Finnish, despite the name), but how is my opinion less valid than yours? Of course music is influenced by the past, but there's a fairly obvious line between merely regurgitating past trends and building off of them. I find Wes Burdine to be merely mimicing what indie rock has done for years, and that's what I want to get at in saying that indie rock has become too hemoginized. There's nothing really new to it, and it's been stuck in neutral for years now.

I don't understand why you're so apprehensive to my opinion when I'm not rummaging through the indie scrapheap of the mid to late 90s to find seemingly inconsequencial bands that have brought nothing new to the table. I merely stated an opnion which you never bothered to try and refute and instead took swipes at my age, which shows a definite lack of maturity on your side when you can't handle a 19 year old saying that something you may like really isn't all that special. I've heard numerous times that "insert genre here isn't anything new" and there's a lot of validity in those claims, especially when it comes to post-rock. But I tend not to blindly lash out and instead attack personal character. People have differences, and if you're not ready to accept that, I feel sorry for you than you do to me. You refer to me as some sort of omniscient elitist and then you spout off some bulls*** about how you know where I'm from, etc.

Grow up, you've already shown how ignorant and protective you are, so I once again await your short paragraphs that hold no talking points whatsoever and instead demean people who criticize something minute.

This conversation has nothing to do with my taste in music. I offered up a song that I thought was pretty great considering what I hear on the radio, when I even bother to listen to it. You came at me with the "short paragraphs" and assinine elitist attitude.

If I made any mistake it was labeling Burdine as "indie music." If you're uncomfortable with that label, which has lost it's mystique over the years (a point to which we can agree some), then fine, the song "prospects" is a pop-rock anthem.

Yet, Age is quite appropriate when discussing music. I don't pretend to know what it was like living in the time of "Revolver" or "Pet Sounds," so please don't pretend like you're some informed "indie-rock" listener. You were friggin' 8 when REM released "Monster."

give me a break you're 19. end of discussion.