With the 15 pick this June...

Wanne

anybody think that Stephen Drew might be sitting there?....and do you snag him? I'm thinkin there's almost a snowball's chance in hell that he signs with the DBacks now. The new ownership group pretty much dicked him on what Colangelo agreed with him on...so they're far apart. It wouldn't surprise me if he was there at 15....but then again do you say nada cause he's represented by Boras?

Edited by Wanne

The guy I want, who I wanted a couple of months ago when we were talking draft is Craig Hansen. He has a 1.21 era, 37 innings, 53 K, and only 18 hits. He is a closer from St. Johns, and I know a lot of you don't want a reliever in the first, but we have been without consistency at the closer's role for many years. He has got 3 pitches, fastball mid to upper 90's, big slider and developing change. I think he is one of the best pitchers in the draft, period and would be great for the Sox. He would be easy to sign and would allow us to in the 3rd or 4th take a guy who was considered hard to sign and give him the $ that we save from Hansen and the 2nd round pick that we don't have.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)
The guy I want, who I wanted a couple of months ago when we were talking draft is Craig Hansen.  He has a 1.21 era, 37 innings, 53 K, and only 18 hits.  He is a closer from St. Johns, and I know a lot of you don't want a reliever in the first, but we have been without consistency at the closer's role for many years.  He has got 3 pitches, fastball mid to upper 90's, big slider and developing change.  I think he is one of the best pitchers in the draft, period and would be great for the Sox.  He would be easy to sign and would allow us to in the 3rd or 4th take a guy who was considered hard to sign and give him the $ that we save from Hansen and the 2nd round pick that we don't have.

After Royce Ring, the Sox will not draft a closer, and after the whole Jeff Weaver, Bobby Seay, Bobby Hill experiences they will not draft a Borass client again.

After Royce Ring, the Sox will not draft a closer, and after the whole Jeff Weaver, Bobby Seay, Bobby Hill experiences they will not draft a Borass client again.

I agree and for whatever reason, college closers just don't seem to work out. There are always exceptions. I do look for the Sox to draft and quickly sign a guy who is fairly close to contributing. The article mentions a shortstop, they should pick the best available guy but I would be thrilled if that's a SS. I like Uribe a lot but they need depth.

I reviewed three potential picks for the Sox over on the futuresox board at...

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32996

Troy Tulowitzki, ss

Andrew McCutchen, of

Chris Volstad, rhp

I'd be thrilled to see us get any one of these three guys. And, in each case, I think they fit a relative need in the organization.

Tulo would be a very bad pick at 15. He has shown only a decent average while in college and a subpar OBP for someone who might be going in the first round. Also, I wouldn't draft on need as no one should really do that unless they have a choice between two huge impact players.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
Tulo would be a very bad pick at 15. He has shown only a decent average while in college and a subpar OBP for someone who might be going in the first round. Also, I wouldn't draft on need as no one should really do that unless they have a choice between two huge impact players.

I disagree on Tulo. But, agree that need isn't the determining factor. That's why I said "relative need." All three of these guys are listed by numerous scouts as Top 15 Players in this draft.

ROAD TRIP: Ten area baseball players traveled to Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic in August as part of Team USA's Athletes in Action. Team USA played five games during the trip, and in the gold-medal game, the Netherlands beat Team USA 13-8. Robert Nettles, the assistant baseball coach at Brooks, coached the team. The local players were: David Atwood, Oswego; Matt Balducci, Kaylan Middleton, William Smith and Marcus Luster, Brooks; Tyler Rubio, Ryan Schwartz and Ryan Wille, Palatine; Albert McCormick, Hyde Park; and Justin Ramos, Holy Cross.

I got to Brooks college prep and I am close friends of Matt, Kaylan, Will, and Marcus. All 3 are great players and all have futures in baseball. Matt is an OF/P, Kaylan is an LF/RF/1B, Will is a Catcher, and Marcus plays OF and pitches. All 3 are seniors and I have had the "honor" of knowing and playing with them. I also know Coach Nettles, our assistant coach and THE best hitting coach I know. His son Marcus plays for the Harrisburg Senators, AA team of the Nationals. I'm not saying they should be picked 15th but they deserve a shot and all 3 could be taken in later rounds.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...09/ai_n12558130

Here's his line against Payton earlier this year....no hitter:

Brooks 3, Payton 2

Brooks (7-3): WP Marcus Luster (3-1) CG, 0 H, 16 K

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
That is also correct

I don't think the Sox will make the mistake of drafting another Boras client unless they honestly believe the kid is signable. I'm talking first rounders here. Later on, one might be worth a gamble.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
I disagree on Tulo.  But, agree that need isn't the determining factor.  That's why I said "relative need."  All three of these guys are listed by numerous scouts as Top 15 Players in this draft.

If you look at this freshman and sophomore statistics, he's shown a decent bat and poor plate discipline. He'd be a bad choice.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
I think they will take the best player available whether it be Drew, Weaver, or whoever is there at number 15.

You can bet the Sox will be "talking" to prospects to guage their signablilty before they ever draft anyone. They will be 90% sure of cost when they draft someone.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
If you look at this freshman and sophomore statistics, he's shown a decent bat and poor plate discipline. He'd be a bad choice.

Cerb, maybe I missed it, but who do you like? Or is it too early for you to tell? Anyone you got your eye on?