Sox vs. Tigers 4-29-05

Rowand44

Sox back home after a very good road trip sending Contreras to the mound. Tigers sending Robertson out there, the Tigers have won 4 in a row since being swept in that 2 game series to the sox. It's going to be a pretty cold-rainy night, Go get 'em Jose :gosox1:

Hey 2k5 or cap one of you guys want to pin my first gamethread?? Gosh the service around here sucks. :D :P

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 07:35 AM)
Sox back home after a very good road trip sending Contreras to the mound.  Tigers sending Robertson out there, the Tigers have won 4 in a row since being swept in that 2 game series to the sox.  It's going to be a pretty cold-rainy night, Go get 'em Jose :gosox1:

Hey 2k5 or cap one of you guys want to pin my first gamethread??  Gosh the service around here sucks. :D  :P

Rain? s***...I'm going. Oh well, hopefully we'll get the game in. More drinking time for me. :cheers Who else is going tonight?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 07:35 AM)
Sox back home after a very good road trip sending Contreras to the mound.  Tigers sending Robertson out there, the Tigers have won 4 in a row since being swept in that 2 game series to the sox.  It's going to be a pretty cold-rainy night, Go get 'em Jose :gosox1:

Hey 2k5 or cap one of you guys want to pin my first gamethread??  Gosh the service around here sucks. :D  :P

Yeah, I can fix the service around here... I guarentee you'll never complain again AFTER I BAN YOUR ASS!!!! :P :melt

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 07:07 AM)
Yeah, I can fix the service around here... I guarentee you'll never complain again AFTER I BAN YOUR ASS!!!! :P  :melt

Pssh.......I'm not afraid of you :sleep :P

Edited by Rowand44

Home Sweet Home is Right On!!

Here's the Game Notes for Game #1, even if the weather might not agree with us.

Sox hope home cooking heals wounds

Detroit (9-10) at White Sox (16-6), 7:05 p.m. CT

When the White Sox return home Friday night, as the conquering baseball heroes following a 6-2 road trip, the question at hand won't be how many South Side faithful show up to honor their team. The more pressing concern is how many White Sox infielders will be healthy enough to suit up for the contest against the Tigers?

Juan Uribe (groin), Pablo Ozuna (wrist), Tadahito Iguchi (knee) and Joe Crede (foot) all hope to nurse their injuries through Thursday's off-day, when they will receive extensive treatment at U.S. Cellular Field, and then be ready to play against Nate Robertson and Detroit. The White Sox were so short-handed on the infield Wednesday afternoon that Crede made his Major League debut at shortstop and Chris Widger did the same at third. When Crede was ejected, Jermaine Dye made his first appearance at shortstop in the bottom of the ninth inning.

This Detroit series had the making of a big drawing card, with Magglio Ordonez scheduled to make his first trip back to Chicago as part of the Tigers. But with Ordonez on the shelf for a couple of months because of hernia surgery, it returns to being another competitive battle within the American League Central.

"He's my countryman, and when somebody talks about health, that don't make anybody happy," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, expressing his concern for Ordonez. "It's a shame that this kid cannot help the Detroit Tigers.

"The Tigers' manager (Alan Trammell) is a good friend of mine and I admire the way he played the game. Their general manager (Dave Dombrowski) gave me a chance to play in the big leagues and I think he's a great general manager.

"They have a great thing going in Detroit and obviously having Magglio in the lineup will make it better," Guillen added. "I wish him the best and to get healthy quick to help those guys to win."

Jose Contreras makes his first start since leaving the game early Saturday night against Kansas City. But Guillen said that Contreras and his strained lower right hamstring are ready for action. The White Sox have a 6-2 record at home and a 13-3 record against the Central.

Pitching matchup

CWS: RHP Jose Contreras

• 0-0, 3.48 ERA in 2005

• 2-1, 3.90 ERA in 2004 vs. DET

DET: LHP Nate Robertson

• 0-2, 6.46 ERA in 2005

• 1-1, 5.54 ERA in 2004 vs. CWS

Player to watch

Paul Konerko still has not hit full stride offensively, coming off a road trip in which he had five hits in 24 at-bats and five RBIs. Facing Robertson should help, though, as Konerko is 6-for-14 lifetime against the Detroit left-hander. He also has three home runs and six RBIs in their head-to-head battles.

Quotable

"Keep your head up and we are headed home and hopefully we can continue to play well. We have to stick together and hopefully good things will happen." -- Guillen, on his message to the team after losing two straight games for the first time

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

Gameday

On television

• CWS: Comcast SportsNet

• DET: FSND

On radio

• CWS: ESPN Radio, AM 1000

• DET: WXYT 1270 AM

Quick hits

Crede has hit safely in 16 of his last 17 games, batting .379 during that span. ... Freddy Garcia is 10-3 with a 2.57 ERA in his last 14 starts during the day. He is 9-1 with a 2.82 ERA over his last 11 road starts dating back to last year. ... The White Sox have led in all 22 games this season, the longest streak in club history and the longest in the Majors since San Diego led at some point in its first 22 games in 1998. ... The White Sox are 9-2 in one-run games, including 4-1 at home.. ... The White Sox have a 10-4 road record, a 6-3 record during the day and finished 6-2 on the just-completed eight-game road trip. They are 3-3 against the American League West.... Contreras, who left his last start with a hamstring injury, will be watched closely. He has pitched only eight innings over two starts since April 13, when he had a no-decision at Cleveland.... Ozzie Guillen's next victory will be the 100th of his managerial career.... One more Sox victory this month would match the franchise best for April; they went 17-7 in 2000 and won the American League Central.... The Sox are 8-0 in the first game of a series.

On deck

• Saturday: vs. Detroit, 6:05 p.m. CT - Jason Johnson (2-1, 4.35) vs. Orlando Hernandez (2-1, 2.35)

• Sunday: vs. Detroit, 2:05 p.m. CT  - Wilfredo Ledezma (1-1, 5.82) vs. Jon Garland (4-0, 1.80)

• Monday: Off

• Tuesday: vs. Kansas City, 7:05 p.m. CT - Brian Anderson (1-2, 7.54) vs. Mark Buehrle (3-1, 3.89)

Time to start a new streak guys, no better team to beat than this one. :gosox2: :gosox2: :gosox2: :gosox2: :gosox2:

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
90% chance of rain from 1:00 PM today to 7:00 AM tommorrow FOLLOWED by 70% chance of rain from 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM tommorrow.

I'd be OK if Contreras' game got washed tonight. I read that the hammy has been bothering him for a while, it seems like he would benefit from more time off.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
I'd be OK if Contreras' game got washed tonight. I read that the hammy has been bothering him for a while, it seems like he would benefit from more time off.

And it would also give the infield warriors another day to rest up.

The weather.com forecast says scattered showers with the chance of precipitation 50% at 7 p.m. By 9 p.m. the chance of precipitation is 40%. Upper 40's this evening so it will be chilly.

I think they'll get this game in for sure. WGN weather (Skilling) last night said most of the shower activity will be south of Chicago, but that Chicago might get clipped with a few showers.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
The bad thing about rain is that we'd ahve to play a DH maybe tomorrow and we're so banged up I don't how good playing 18 innings would be.

I don't think we'd play a DH. Detroit makes two more trips here. We'd just make it up one of those times.