Sox vs. Tigers 4-29-05

Rowand44

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
I think the only superior teams in baseball are the Cardinals and Red Sox and everyone else is not in a position to say that

I wouldn't even say that.

It's too early for anybody to stand out this year.

And yes, it's possible that we can be a 'superior' team. Not exactly probable, but very possible.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
After this season, move the f***ing fence back

Don't do that, but I sure wish everybody would swing like

Iggy.

I still remember when our last hitting coach was fired. He said he tried over and over to preach hitting the ball with a level swing. But the allure of big money was too powerful and the home run swing was the quick ticket to more money.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 11:36 PM)
I am too f***ing pissed to say anythin coeherent so here does...

AJ/Iguchi :headbang

PK/Crede/Timo :puke :headshake :fyou

Shing :headshake :fyou :banghead  :chair  :fight  :finger  :puke  :stick

I must say I like all of those faces in there. If this team doesn't start shaping up, this is what's gonna happen. :melt

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 04:36 AM)
White Sox> Red Sox.

Red Sox are facing a lot of injury problems, but I have no doubt they'll win over 90 games this season. They can afford to "buy" players at the deadline if they need help.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
I think NL offense CAN win in the Al as evidenced by Anaheim and Minnesota to a lesser extent. That said, we are sort of playing a bastardized version of NL ball

No we are still trying to play the AL thump and jog offense. We just dont have the cast of characters this year to do it.

I was disappointed we couldn't get it done at home with bases loaded and nobody out in the ninth.

We had to put it away there.

And then we have a couple more innings with the last at bat in a tie game before the Tabs score a run.

I guess that's baseball, but out ineptitude at the plate cost us a home game against one of our division foes.

I'm not down on the team, but it sucks that right after a big win streak we've dropped 3 in a row. Hope we don't make it four.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 04:37 AM)
I think NL offense CAN win in the Al as evidenced by Anaheim and Minnesota to a lesser extent. That said, we are sort of playing a bastardized version of NL ball

You and I, and everyone that has seen the Twins play a lot, know that they've won the last few years because of two reasons: clutch hitting and incredible relief. We just didn't get the clutch hitting we needed tonight.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
My feeling is this:  We could realistically be 20-3 this season.....or 9-14.  If we continue to only get enough hitting to win each game by one run, it's going to catch up to us this season.  How many times this year did we make comments after the game about how lucky we got?  Yet, the last three games, we've been the one "creating" luck for the opposition.  I felt like we were the luckiest team in the world after those Twins games when they left a 3rd world country on the bases, as well as two of those KC games.

Good teams find ways to win. Lucky or not, they count. If we luckily win our way into the World Series, I wouldn't complain.

But yeah, I see your point. Could you at least agree that there's PLENTY of time to become an elite team, we've shown signs of what we're capable of, and you have some hope that we can do it?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)
I was disappointed we couldn't get it done at home with bases loaded and nobody out in the ninth.

We had to put it away there.

And then we have a couple more innings with the last at bat in a tie game before the Tabs score a run.

I guess that's baseball, but out ineptitude at the plate cost us a home game against one of our division foes.

I'm not down on the team, but it sucks that right after a big win streak we've dropped 3 in a row. Hope we don't make it four.

The swing of the bat should be level through the hitting zone. That is what will cure the slump. When instead of a majestic arc we see a laser going out in the field. When you start seeing lasers hit for outs or lasers making it into outfield instead of majestic long fly balls to the warning track or INSERT CORPSEBALL PLAYER HERE slamming their bat into the ground in disgust that they "just" missed one. Smartball is where I expect the hitter to make contact and drive in the runner and not to try to do more with it. That is why Minny has won year after year. In that same situation they give themselves up to get that runner over. They do everything they can to get that runner in. We try and end it dramatically. Remember because SPORTSCENTER IS NEXT.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 04:39 AM)
Good teams find ways to win.  Lucky or not, they count.  If we luckily win our way into the World Series, I wouldn't complain.

But yeah, I see your point.  Could you at least agree that there's PLENTY of time to become an elite team, we've shown signs of what we're capable of, and you have some hope that we can do it?

Yes, we can become an elite team. However, we're going to need PK to hit 40 homers this season, and for Dye to put up an OPS over .750. If we can continue to get starts from our pitching that puts us in a good position to win, then we have a great chance to become elite. Basically, I think it boils down to whether or not our hitting picks up, or our pitching slumps.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
Yes, we can become an elite team.  However, we're going to need PK to hit 40 homers this season, and for Dye to put up an OPS over .750.  If we can continue to get starts from our pitching that puts us in a good position to win, then we have a great chance to become elite.  Basically, I think it boils down to whether or not our hitting picks up, or our pitching slumps.

To be an elite team we have to play for the situation. Not for the personal numbers. I still say that last year the Carlos Lee that hit doubles like a fiend in the first half where he brought his BA up from 220 to over 300 in a few months was much more dangerous than Carlos Thump and Jog at the end of the year who struck out with the bases loaded trying to hit the dramatic grand slam over the simple base hit we need.

The minute we see the level swing with more than 2 of our hitters we will be on track. Hopefully our pitching doesnt start to feel the urge to press and throw "shutouts" every single time. That is where the team could go on a big bender.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
The minute we see the level swing with more than 2 of our hitters we will be on track.

Gooch, Pods, AJ = 3 guys.....STILL NO EXECUTION FROM THE REST!

ive got an idea for our hitting:

1. dont always take the first pitch, because its always good

2. steal more often, that alway helps

3. resort to the method involving a needle and or cream

Edited by chi-guy2

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
ive got an idea for our hitting:

1. dont always take the first pitch, because its always good

2. steal more often, that alway helps

3. resort to the method involving a needle and or cream

Dont dip your back shoulder trying to get "elevation" on every single pitch.

Mr. Crede dont try to pull the outside slow pitch. You are not that f***ing strong to hit that out of the park in the cold.

Mr. Konerko put your hands down, why are they at your melon.

Mr. Dye see Mr. Konerko. When did you start to place your hands near your melon.

Harris you are not a power hitter, repeat you cannot hit a home run, dont try when we need contact in the 9th.

Pods you cannot get on base to steal bases if you constantly pop up. For gods sake slap the ball and run like hell.

QUOTE(marsh @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
i don't think anyone on the team got on top of a fastball tonite. every fastball was a popup.

of course nobody got on the fastball because they took it first pitch, i just hate when players take the fastball first pitch, you get down in the count and then they start throwing s***