This may be a first for Jon Garland....

BigNDfan80

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
Personally I am not repeating anything.  I sat and watched almost every inning of all of the games we have played this year.  Those two teams might be better, but they are definately not good teams IMO.

Detroit is playing .500., that makes you 'not good'?........I assume you mean it won't last.

The one thing I would definately disagree with is that the Twins were supposed to be better. They lost their starting left side of the infield, along with some of their OF depth. They also have had some injury problems, and signed no one in the off season.

And I don't see any big improvement in the Tigers or the Indians yet. The Tigers starting pitching still sucksand hasn't stepped up. Their bullpen even with Farns and Percival, has been shakey. Their offense will always struggle for consistancy in Comerica, and also depends on Rodriguez, Ordonez, and Guillen who also have big injury histories.

The Indians bullpen is still terrible and is relying upon two guys with terrible injury histories to pitch the 8th and 9th. Their offense is full of guys who had career years last year, and are off to slow starts. They also lost the heart and sole of their team in Omar Vizquel. The starting pitching hasn't lived up to its billing yet, but does have CC coming back soon.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Last night on baseball tonight, they did a 'best of April', not ONE mention of anything White Sox. :huh

I saw that as well. Did you happen to hear Gammons sidestep the topic of Schilling and Pinella. When asked he went into a analysis of Wade Miller's evening at Pawtucket.

Wade F'in Miller is hurt every year yet he will win the Cy Young as soon as he puts on the Red Sox uniform. Unbullievable.

Gammons is out of control on his Red Sox banter.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
The one thing I would definately disagree with is that the Twins were supposed to be better.  They lost their starting left side of the infield, along with some of their OF depth.  They also have had some injury problems, and signed no one in the off season.

Yeah, the Twins lost the left side of their infield, but at the same time, they brought up other players who could play those spots. While they might not be improving at those positions...the argument was that we should take a look at what else they have; an improved offense.

While Morneau was hurt for 15 days or so, if you stretch his numbers last season out over a full year, he would have hit 30 home runs for the twins, and they haven't had a 30 HR guy in decades.

On top of that, they were looking at a healthy Joe Mauer, and expecting him to produce a lot more runs.

On top of that, they have Nathan in the closer's role for the 2nd year, their big signing in the off season was holding onto Radke, and they locked Santana up for several more years as well. Plus, Santana was really shaky for the first 1/3 of last season - he had an ERA over 5 for the first 2 months, which gives him even more room for improvement.

So, their defense on the left side was supposed to be worse, but their hitting was supposed to significantly improve, and they were saying that should more than offset the left side of their infield, along with whatever young guys they bring up or trade for.

That said...we're still a better team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
Definately.  And to be honest, being .500 in the AL Central isn't the same as being .500 in the West or East.

I hope you're right and I hope the Central really does suck.......except for the Sox of course.

Honestly, I look around the league and only the Bo-Sox and Angels scare me. I look at every other team in the AL and think we can take a series from them, including the Yankees and Oakland. Our starting pitching, if healthy, should keep us in ever game.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
I don't buy that.  Of the "sucky" teams we've faced Millwood (2), Westbrook, Bonderman, Ledezma (not great stats, but given us problems), and Grienke.  Franklin is one of Seattle's best pitchers right now (2nd best I'd say), and we found a way to win that one.  Last time I checked, Sexson wasn't Seattle's best hitter either.

Let's not take anything away from the Sox by saying they've played s***ty teams, because they haven't.  We still have a chance to equal and better the best April in the organization's history.  Also, being "only" 2.5 games ahead of the Twins isn't half bad considering 30% of their games have been against the worst team in baseball.

I agree. I'd say we did face their two best hitters.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
And I'm a bit bewildered by Rob Neyer's piece on why the Sox won't win the AL Central, especially since Rob Neyer picked the Sox to win the AL Central barely a month ago!  (I'd give you a link but I don't have ESPN Insider access)

I know!! I thought that was pretty funny. People are quick to diss the quick start (and boy have they!) - but these same people are quick to explain away the poor starts of other teams - like the Yankees and the Angels. 13-9 (and first place) isn't bad for the Angels in april - but boy have they struggled at times. People will give them rope because a lot of people (myself included) picked them to go far in the playoffs. I guess when you don't have a track record - like the Sox don't, unfortunately - then you won't get that rope.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Last night on baseball tonight, they did a 'best of April', not ONE mention of anything White Sox. :huh

No they didn't. But they did give props to the Rangers. I mean ..... WTF?!?!?!?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
Dispite what the records say, Oakland and Minnesota are the only "good" teams we have played.  Seattle I could accept as good, but they were also missing their best hitter at the time, and we ducked their best pitchers.  Detroit, Cleveland, and KC just flat out suck.

You make a good point here, but then, I don't think Minnesota has been playing the cream of the crop either.