Potential Draft Picks in 2005

thomsonmi

I'd take this guy...

From http://www.all-baseball.com/richbeat/archives/017235.html

The star of the game was Long Beach State’s All-American shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, who went 3-for-4 at the plate with a pair of intentional walks and three runs scored while making three sparkling plays in the field. Tulowitzki is a name to remember. The 6’3”, 200-pound junior is already drawing comparisons to former 49er SS Bobby Crosby. Tulowitzki and Crosby are both big and strong with outstanding arms and good power.

Tulowitzki, the sixth-ranked junior prospect in the country by Baseball America, was selected by the magazine as the tenth pick in its 2005 mock draft. The Sunnyvale, California native was the Most Outstanding Player in last year’s Regionals and was the starting shortstop for the gold-medal winning Team USA last summer.

In a preseason poll among Big West coaches, Tulowitzki was chosen as the conference’s best athlete, the best defensive shortstop, and the infielder with the best arm. “Tulo” was a first-team All-Big West pick last season and earned honorable mention All-America honors in a year that featured fellow highly acclaimed shortstops Stephen Drew and Dustin Pedroia.

Name: Troy Tulowitzki

Height/Weight: 6-3 / 200

Date of Birth: 10/10/84

School: Long Beach St.

Well built shortstop prospect that profiles well to former Dirtbag and current A's SS Bobby Crosby. While he has a very big and strong frame for a SS, he is a very good overall athlete with excellent coordination and body control. He has good range, solid footwork, soft hands and a very strong arm. Even if he outgrows the position, he may hit for enough power to warrant a move to third base. Throughout his career he has had the knack for the big hit, makes solid contact and offers intriguing power potential, especially for a shortstop. He has good enough speed to reach the double digits in stolen bases as well, and he hustles on every play.

And, finally from http://www.longbeachstate.com/bbo/bbc/BIO/...witzki03.html...

Summer League/MLB: Starting shortstop for Team USA, following in the footsteps of two other Major League Dirtbag shortstops who played for Team USA, Chris Gomez and Bobby Crosby... was a 2004 teammate on the National Team with fellow Dirtbag, Cesar Ramos... batted .299 with a team-best four homers over 25 games and 20 starts... had a .519 slugging percentage and a .369 on-base percentage... scored 17 runs... team won the gold medal in Taiwan as part of the World Championships.

2005 Pre-Season: Named a first team All-American by the NCBWA, a second teamer by Baseball America and a third team selection by Collegiate Baseball... also projected by Baseball America to be a first round pick.

LBSU Career: Sure-handed starting shortstop for the past two seasons, Tulowitzki has a .962 career fielding percentage and 88 career RBIs to go along with a .296 career average... rated by Baseball America as the top arm and the best defensive shortstop in the Big West for the past two seasons... he has 12 career homers, 25 career doubles and a .453 career slugging percentage over 116 games and 111 career starts at short... he is a two-time All-Big West selection (first team in 2004, and second team in 2003) and a two-time All-Regional Tournament selection, earning MOP honors in 2004... has 31 multi-hit games in his career.

LBSU 2004: Named honorable mention All-American by collegebaseballinsider.com and was a first team All-Big West selection after batting .317 over 61 starts with a team-best seven homers... also drove in 44 runs for the second-straight year and scored 40 runs... slugged at a .491 clip, thanks to 15 doubles and two triples... had 27 walks and fielded at a .969 clip... named the Most Outstanding Player at the Palo Alto Regional after hitting two solo homers against Stanford on Saturday and following that up with a two-run homer on Sunday to eliminate the Cardinal... then had a two-run homer against Arizona in the Super Regional on June 12... began his power surge with a solo homer at Miami on May 27... produced a 10-game hit streak in mid-March... had 19 multi-hit games and a team-best 13 multi-RBI games... drove in three runs as part of a two-hit afternoon at Pepperdine on May 4... tallied 10 assists and went 3-for-4 with an RBI single at UC Riverside on May 15... had a three-run triple and an RBI single on February 20 against Baylor, going 2-for-4 with four RBIs... hada two-run homer against UC Irvine on April 18... also hit a solo homer against UC Santa Barbara on May 1.

LBSU 2003: Named All-Big West second team at shortstop... Freshman All-American by Collegiate Baseball... All-Regional Tournament team... named the Big West’s Player of the Week on May 5 after batting .467 after a sweep of Pacific... 12 multi-hit games... believed to be the first freshman since full records were kept since the 1980’s to lead the team in RBIs, as he drove in 44 with a .270 batting average... scored 26 times... started 47 times at short, once at third and once at designated hitter... his 10 doubles tied for third on the team, while his five homers were also third... ranked ninth in the Big West in RBIs and eighth in assists... second of back-to-back homers in sixth inning at Pacific as LBSU went on to set single-game record for longballs (7)... after a slow start batted .302 in March... went 3-for-4 with two RBI singles against LSU... added two more RBIs the next day against the Tigers... went 4-for-5 with two runs and a solo homer against CS Fullerton on March 30... had a grand slam as part of five driven in on May 9 against UC Riversde... also had an RBI single... went 3-for-4 with a two-run single in the first NCAA Regional game against Pepperdine... had a two-run homer and a sacrifce fly against UC Riverside on May 11... hit the game-winning single in the eighth at Wichita State on March 15, one of two hits... had a two-run double at San Diego State on March 7... had two hits in final game of the season in Palo Alto at the Super Regional on June 7, had a double in loss day before.

High School: Accomplished two-sport athlete, earned four varsity letters in baseball and two in basketball... two-time second team all-state in baseball... three-time team MVP... batted .519 as a senior and .536 as a junior... also compiled an impressive 15-1 record as a junior... DeAnza League basketball MVP after averaging 22.6 points per game and ranking third in the state in scoring... second team All-State... team MVP as well in basketball... baseball team made state in 2001 and 2002, and won the DeAnza League title in 2001... basketball team finished second at state and won league in 2001 and 2002... named Fremont High’s Athlete of the Year in 2002.

Personal: Son of Ken and Susan Tulowitzki and Michelle Honeycutt... majoring in kinesiology.

A good Ozzie-ball prospect is...

Name: Andrew McCutchen

Height/Weight: 5-11 / 170

Date of Birth: 10/10/86

School: Fort Meade (FL)

Speedy, athletic centerfield prospect that is more than just a speed merchant. Shows the ability to hit the balls to all fields, with surprising power, and he makes very good contact, and has proven to do so against some of the best pitchers in the nation. He is a terror on the basepaths, with incredible range in CF. A great overall athlete, he also stars in football & track. Far from just a raw athlete, McCutchen shows great plate coverage, outstanding bat speed and an advanced knowledge of hitting. McCutchen has commited to play for the Florida Gators.

From http://www.aflacallamerican.com/2004Game/R...?id=12&a=Player

Andrew is considered one of the top high school athletes in the country. He has excellent bat speed, can hit any pitch with power and is an adept fielder, playing nearly all of the outfield positions. On the season, Andrew batted .474 with eight homeruns, 40 RBI’s and only five strikeouts. Andrew showcased his speed by recording 45 stolen bases. Andrew played for Team Florida USA along with fellow AFLAC All-American Shane Funk. He was selected to the WWBA World Senior Championship All-Tournament team. Andrew is also a talented football player and track star. He was ranked among the top 200 football players in his state and earned First Team All-County honors as a sophomore. As a freshman on the track team, he was a member of the 4x100 relay team that won the state championship. Andrew has earned First Team All-County honors as an eighth grader and freshman for Fort Meade High School. In eighth grade, he led the county in hitting.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
I''m hoping we nab a Boras guy who falls. THere are many in the first round in addition to Drew and Weaver. It's nto rerribly realistic but there will be great talent on the board at 15

Another quality SS is Tyler Greene at Georgia Tech but rumor has it that he'll be a Boras guy.

I just don't think the White Sox will take a Boras guy. I know Crede has Boras but I think the ship has sailed on the White Sox dealing with Boras.

And, this year's Brandon McCarthy looking prospect is...

Name: Chris Volstad

Height/Weight: 6-7 / 190

Date of Birth: 9/23/86

School: Palm Beach Gardens (FL)

Volstad is another towering righty from the Florida prep ranks. Built with a very strong but lean frame with square shoulders and a high waist that offer plenty room for more strength with maturity. Currently throws in the low-90s, and displays a great sinker with late, darting action. Despite his size, he is very balanced and repeats his delivery very well. He also exhibits great control. Given his stature, he's going to have to work hard to keep his mechanics in check to avoid serious arm injuries down the road. His mound composure is another big plus, as he keeps his cool and stays focused no matter what the situation. Committed to play for the Miami Hurricanes.

From http://www.aflacallamerican.com/2004Game/R...?id=45&a=Player

Chris Volstad is one of the most intimidating pitchers in the country when on the mound. Chris joins high school teammate Mark Ortega on the east team. At 6’7, Chris had a stellar season with a 6-1 record and a .88 era. Over his three-year career, Chris has recorded 142 strikeouts and only 21 base on balls. He has a 7:1 strikeout to walk ratio, which is why he earned First Team All-County and Third Team All-State honors. He was Palm Beach Gardens’ MVP this season. Chris is also a member of the National Honor Society with a 3.8 GPA.

So, that's my take... There is a realistic chance that all three guys I've mentioned here will be available at the #15 spot.

Troy Tulowitzki, ss

Andrew McCutchen, of

Chris Volstad, rhp

I'd be thrilled to see us get any one of these three guys. And, in each case, I think they fit a relative need in the organization.

So, that's my take...  There is a realistic chance that all three guys I've mentioned here will be available at the #15 spot.

Troy Tulowitzki, ss

Andrew McCutchen, of

Chris Volstad, rhp

I'd be thrilled to see us get any one of these three guys.  And, in each case, I think they fit a relative need in the organization.

Good stuff Mike. The McCutchen kid has me intrigued, I love players like that.

They all sound like good prospects, I would be a little concerned with Tulo's size in terms of growing out of the position. One reason I like Valido and hope he makes it is because he's already demonstrating he can steal a lot of bases. Just a personal preference but I like SS's who can definitely give you 20+ steals. Tulowitzki might do that, who knows.

I agree though that they'll pick a guy who's anxious to play pro baseball and will sign for slot money relatively quickly. And as you stated, that's normally the antithesis of a Boras client.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
I'd probably lean towards McCutchen over Tulo myself if it weren't for the age/experience difference.  With the failure rate of high school prospects, I tend to favor college guys.

I tend to favor college guys myself. Not only because they are more likely to succeed but signability is almost a non-issue in most cases. Then again if a guy goes 1st round, he's signing or he's an idiot (or has an idiot agent).