Have you sold a childhood toy

Iwritecode

Last night I dug out my 3 3/4" GI Joe collection from the 80's. It's basically been sitting and collecting dust in the basement and garage for years. I was looking around on Ebay and realized that if I sell it all I could probably make a little bit of money. With my wife being out of work, I could certainly use it.

My problem is that I've never really done this before. I have a lot of other toys still sitting around like He-Man, Transformers, Star Wars, etc... I have three daughters so I doubt they will ever be interested in any of it.

When I was younger I did sell off a lot of my Star Wars collection. There are times when I wish I hadn't but when I go to garage sales and flea markets and see some of the stuff I sold, I don't really have the urge to get them back.

Considering all my toys are/were played with, I doubt they'll worth much in my lifetime so really the only thing holding me back is sentimental value...

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
I'm the wrong person to ask, as I still collect toys. But yes, I have parted ways with numerous toys from my childhood (both by my doing and others...ahem...) and have regretted it.

What's really funny is that I still have a wall full of the "re-released" Star Wars figures that came out in the mid 90's. At least those are out on display where I can see them. I also have a few other shelves with miscellaneous action figures or models on them.

I guess my reasoning is, if they are just sitting in boxes and haven't seen the light of day in over a decade, what's the point of keeping them?

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
What's really funny is that I still have a wall full of the "re-released" Star Wars figures that came out in the mid 90's. At least those are out on display where I can see them. I also have a few other shelves with miscellaneous action figures or models on them.

I guess my reasoning is, if they are just sitting in boxes and haven't seen the light of day in over a decade, what's the point of keeping them?

Well, I understand the need to sell them for financial reasons. But if you really don't need to sell them, and you have emotional feelings for them, then don't sell them. Even if your kids will never play with them, nor your Grandchildren, they can still be passed down. If they have increased in value now, imagine what they might be worth 50 years from now. Toys will never lose value, as collectors will always exist, and toy collectors (especially ones within a genre) will always be rabid.

But if you need to sell, then sell away, and regret just a little.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
Well, I understand the need to sell them for financial reasons. But if you really don't need to sell them, and you have emotional feelings for them, then don't sell them. Even if your kids will never play with them, nor your Grandchildren, they can still be passed down. If they have increased in value now, imagine what they might be worth 50 years from now. Toys will never lose value, as collectors will always exist, and toy collectors (especially ones within a genre) will always be rabid.

But if you need to sell, then sell away, and regret just a little.

Well, financial reasons and storage reasons. We just seem to keep accumulating more stuff and some of it needs to go. :D

As far as the value goes, I don't think any of it is really worth what I paid for it. I seem to remember paying $5-$7 for each figure and much more than that for the vehicles. It would take quite awhile for me to make back what I invested in them.

If I can sell them to somebody who will either play with them or display and enjoy them (and make a little money in the process) then I'll be ok. :)

That is amazing...I was just reminiscing with a guy at work about the early 80's game Dark Tower and was wanting to buy it off of ebay again. I wish I still had that game.

As for regret, yes and no. I loved my toys, but I collected Pez dispensers for awhile and it just got dusty. I know there are people out there that will get a lot of enjoyment out of the toys and games. I DO regret throwing things out more than selling it.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
Wanna buy mine?  :P

OMG ASLKDJFUREOIASJDFLK;QUJEWIOMNRLKASHNKLVZXUCJOIFJQ24

HOW MUCH WHERE DO I SIGN?!?!?! :wub:

LOL, ok so I am not that into it...but man, TMNT were the s*** back in the day. I almost want to go play with them now

On a completely unrelated note, yet somehow worthy, I think we need a smiley of someone just flipping out...for this particular reason. :D

If anyone recalls the three storied Ghostbusters headquarters set, for several years I regretted giving the toy to a neighbor.

My mom asked me one day if I would like to give it up, and being the ignorant kid whose attention had shifted to TMNT, I approved.

No more than a week later I realized my mistake and begged my parents to purchase another headquarters. Oddly enough, none of the toy chains or merchandise stores sold the item. It had been discontinued. What was weird is no less than two weeks earlier I walked passed it in Toys-R-Us.

Eh, some kid in Ohio probably choked on a piece from the set. Toys were dangerous back then. :drink

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
OMG ASLKDJFUREOIASJDFLK;QUJEWIOMNRLKASHNKLVZXUCJOIFJQ24

HOW MUCH WHERE DO I SIGN?!?!?!  :wub:

LOL, ok so I am not that into it...but man, TMNT were the s*** back in the day.  I almost want to go play with them now

On a completely unrelated note, yet somehow worthy, I think we need a smiley of someone just flipping out...for this particular reason.  :D

TMNT rocked, period.

Me and my friends talk about our TMNT collections almost every week it seems. I don't have any of mine left, mom sold them all in a garage sale :(

But i remember having the "evil base" it was a sphere, the name escapes me though. THat was the coolest thing ever.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
Me and my friends talk about our TMNT collections almost every week it seems.  I don't have any of mine left, mom sold them all in a garage sale :(

But i remember having the "evil base" it was a sphere, the name escapes me though.  THat was the coolest thing ever.

The Technodrome....duh :P