Notes: Big Hurt moving full speed

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Big Hurt moving full speed

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- The familiar big strides from Frank Thomas made their return to U.S. Cellular Field Saturday night, as Thomas ran the bases during batting practice, prior to the contest with the Tigers. Thomas moved at full speed, although he slowed slightly while cutting second base.

Following Thursday afternoon's shockwave therapy on the lingering sore spot in his ankle, Thomas' present goal is to be able to run hard two days in a row with reduced pain.

"That's what we are trying to work on," Thomas said. "Back to back days, instead of every other day or a few days later. I'm going to figure out if it's getting better or not.

"It's weird. I can get out and I can run on it and it feels great when I'm running. But once I stop, I'm really sore. I'm really sore right now."

Thomas immediately headed into the training room to ice the sore ankle. But he declared Saturday's running session greater progress than he's had during the past two weeks.

His goal still is to return by mid-June, but Thomas' biggest target is sustaining a pain-free situation over a long period of time. While he ran hard during an isolated, 15-minute situation, Thomas isn't quite convinced he's ready to perform on a daily basis.

"But I'm not giving up. I'm going to stay on it," Thomas said. "This is my career. This is what I do. I'm just keeping a positive outlook and not getting too frustrated.

"I don't want to quit. As long as I can get out and get around batting practice every day and feel good about it, I'm going to continue to fight."

More pain: Jermaine Dye was scratched from Saturday's starting lineup with severe flu-like symptoms. Manager Ozzie Guillen didn't expect his right fielder in action for the next couple of days.

Juan Uribe, nursing a sore right groin, and Pablo Ozuna, with a bruised left wrist after getting hit by a pitch in Oakland, both also look to be inactive until the start of the three-game Kansas City series Tuesday night. Guillen wants to take advantage of Monday's offday to give the infield pair an extra day of rest.

The White Sox did get some infield assistance Saturday, with the addition of Pedro Lopez from Triple-A Charlotte. The 21-year-old was hitting .179 withy one home run and four RBIs for the Knights, but Guillen believes that Lopez is the team's best middle-infield defensive option.

To make room for Lopez, first baseman/outfielder Ross Gload was played on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to April 25 with left shoulder inflammation. It's an injury that has bothered the left-handed hitter, who batted .321, with seven home runs and 44 RBIs as a rookie in 2004, as far back as Spring Training.

"I tip my hat to Gload," said Guillen of Gload, who had a team-low 13 at-bats and last played in the outfield on April 24 at Kansas City. "It's hard when you are trying to make the team and get a chance to be at the big league level and you are really hurt but you suck it up and play through it. He couldn't anymore.

"They did a MRI, just in case. It came back and it was a little worse than we thought. The only way for (Gload) to get better is just rest 10 to 12 days. No lifting, running or anything to get better."

Timo Perez started in place of Dye in right field. Willie Harris made his second straight appearance at shortstop.

"I know my role and I'm doing this until Uribe comes back," Harris said. "He's our man and one of the best fielding shortstops I've ever seen. I have to go out there and try to get it done and play the game like it's supposed to be played."

Rooting interest: With the Bulls' playoff game tipping off at 2 p.m. Central Saturday afternoon, Guillen and his staff had a chance to watch part of Washington's Game 3 victory in the nation's capital.

"I think a lot of people are rooting for them," said Guillen of the Bulls, who still have a 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven first-round series. "I'm not a big basketball fan, but when you have three kids and when you have coaches who like watching sports... I'm really excited for them."

Guillen is rooting for a Bulls-Miami second-round battle. He has more than a few connections to get prime tickets at the United Center, and he splits season tickets for the Heat with thirdbase coach Joey Cora. Both men live in Florida with their families during the offseason.

"He paid this year. I'm paying this year," said Guillen with a laugh of the Heat tickets. "I like basketball. It's real good entertainment, and I think Chicago needs a winning team like they're doing now."

Well stocked: The White Sox's not-too-distant future was on display Friday night during Charlotte's 12-7 victory over Durham. Brandon McCarthy allowed four runs on four hits over 6 2/3 innings, but the lanky right-hander struck out 11 to give him 40 over 29 2/3 innings. Brian Anderson contributed to the offensive outburst with two hits, including his fourth home run, and two runs scored.

Ken Williams had a chance to view McCarthy and Anderson last week, extending his trip to watch the talented young hurlers for Class A Kannapolis. But the White Sox general manager did his evaluating without glancing at the raw numbers, especially where McCarthy is concerned.

"I will honestly tell you that I didn't pick up a stat sheet," said Williams, referring primarily to McCarthy. "I know what I saw, and I saw a big-league pitcher. He's coming along just fine.

"If something were to arise, he would probably be first in line (to be called up). But he has to keep pitching that way to keep himself at the top of the list."

Down on the farm: Travis Hinton, acquired as part of the Scott Podsednik-Carlos Lee trade, hit two home runs and drove in four during Class A Winston-Salem's 10-4 victory at Wilmington. Carlos Lee, Carlos Lee's younger brother, added two hits, including his third home run.

Corwin Malone started and suffered the loss in Double-A Birmingham's 5-1 setback to Chattanooga. Malone worked three solid innings, allowing two unearned runs, and striking out two.

Coming soon: Jon Garland, in line for his first career monthly pitching award, starts May for the White Sox in Sunday's series finale against Detroit. The right-hander finished April with a 4-0 record, 1.80 ERA and just 26 baserunners allowed over 30 innings. Garland is coming off his second career shutout Monday in Oakland.

Guest JimH

Well, the Gload thing appears to be legit. DJ mentioned that Gload has constantly had an ice bag on his shoulder.

Jermaine Dye has probably never been happier to see an April end, now we know why Timo was in the lineup. Probably tomorrow too.

Tigers start a lefty tomorrow I think, possibly Pedro Lopez debut?

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
Well, the Gload thing appears to be legit.  DJ mentioned that Gload has constantly had an ice bag on his shoulder.

Jermaine Dye has probably never been happier to see an April end, now we know why Timo was in the lineup.  Probably tomorrow too.

Tigers start a lefty tomorrow I think, possibly Pedro Lopez debut?

I feel all grouchy all of the sudden. This must be how it feels to be quickman. :bang

More pain: Jermaine Dye was scratched from Saturday's starting lineup with severe flu-like symptoms. Manager Ozzie Guillen didn't expect his right fielder in action for the next couple of days.

Severius Suckageus is it's Latin name.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
Carlos has a younger brother named Carlos?

My question is, what is the breaking point (how many kids) do you have before you cant think of any better name than one you already used?!?!

:bang

His goal still is to return by mid-June, but Thomas' biggest target is sustaining a pain-free situation over a long period of time. While he ran hard during an isolated, 15-minute situation, Thomas isn't quite convinced he's ready to perform on a daily basis.

I thought the goal was for him to return by mid-May? :huh

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 1, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
My question is, what is the breaking point (how many kids) do you have before you cant think of any better name than one you already used?!?!

:bang

George foreman never learned.