Game Thread 5-1 Sox vs Pussycats

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New month, hopefully the same Garland. Keep it up Jon, don't rest on your April laurels.

With that being said, I like our chances tommorow. Let's get back on track by winning this series. :headbang

Time for the Sox to win the series. Let's hope Garland can keep doing what he's been doing, and the offense can actually put some runs on the board (I'm looking your way Carl and Paulie). ;)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 1, 2005 -> 02:09 AM)
Time for the Sox to win the series. Let's hope Garland can keep doing what he's been doing, and the offense can actually put some runs on the board (I'm looking your way Carl and Paulie).  ;)

KONG especially. It seems like it's always feast of famine with him. This is a contract year for him so maybe it'd help his cause if he'd start playing like it.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 1, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
KONG especially.  It seems like it's always feast of famine with him.  This is a contract year for him so maybe it'd help his cause if he'd start playing like it.

Contract wise it is an interesting situation to watch. The Sox said they would wait through the season to see what type of numbers he was putting up before they rushed into a deal. Now he does have 7 home runs, but he also has a low average which isn't helping his cause. That said, at the moment he's really only one of the 2 guys who can pretty much draw a regular walk (Pods being the other).

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 1, 2005 -> 03:22 AM)
KONG especially.  It seems like it's always feast of famine with him.  This is a contract year for him so maybe it'd help his cause if he'd start playing like it.

Anyone else notice him taking a first pitch fast ball right down the middle of the plate nearly every time up now? Then he swings at the s***ty pitches and either k's or pops it up. When you are going bad you are going bad. He really needs to get his s*** together along with dye. I still think it would be a bad idea to bring him back next year for any significant amount of money but we will see.

Guest JimH

Carlos Guillen has a strained hamstring so the Tigers will likely start someone else at SS today.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 1, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
Anyone else notice him taking a first pitch fast ball right down the middle of the plate nearly every time up now? Then he swings at the s***ty pitches and either k's or pops it up. When you are going bad you are going bad. He really needs to get his s*** together along with dye.  I still think it would be a bad idea to bring him back next year for any significant amount of money but we will see.

You know the Yankees are definitely going to make an offer most likely. If Konerko does leave, who's going to replace Konerko though? A guy that could be possibly interesting is J.T Snow, who definitely doesn't hit for much power, but hits for a real good average and is an excellent defender. Could be a good stopgap for a year or 2 before a guy like Casey Rogowski or even Josh Fields (if they decide to move him to 1st) is ready.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 1, 2005 -> 02:51 AM)
Anyone else notice him taking a first pitch fast ball right down the middle of the plate nearly every time up now? Then he swings at the s***ty pitches and either k's or pops it up. When you are going bad you are going bad. He really needs to get his s*** together along with dye.  I still think it would be a bad idea to bring him back next year for any significant amount of money but we will see.

A lot of folks are noticing that about him. It's totally maddening!!

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 1, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)
You know the Yankees are definitely going to make an offer most likely. If Konerko does leave, who's going to replace Konerko though? A guy that could be possibly interesting is J.T Snow, who definitely doesn't hit for much power, but hits for a real good average and is an excellent defender. Could be a good stopgap for a year or 2 before a guy like Casey Rogowski or even Josh Fields (if they decide to move him to 1st) is ready.

Well i don't know about you but two years down the road i think the first baseman free agents are much better than this year. Only the players i have in bold interest me for nest year. If we signed say durazo then we would not have to look into a first baseman two years down the road. If we signed millar or someone else as a one year stop gate and platooned gload with them then we would be in business for two years down the road.

2005-2006.

Fred McGriff (Agent Jim Krivacs)

John Olerud

David Segui

Ellis Burks (Retired)

Edgar Martinez(Retired)

Brad Fullmer

Robin Ventura(Retired)

Mo Vaughn

Andres Galaragga (Retired)

Dave Hansen

Phil Hiatt

Rafael Palmeiro

Frank Thomas (Player + Team option)

J.T. Snow

Julio Franco

Tim Salmon

Doug Mientkiewicz (Vesting Option) (arb.)

Kevin Millar

Paul Konerko

Dimitri Young (Team Option)

Scott Hatteberg (Team Option)

Eduardo Perez (arb.)

Wil Cordero

Robert Fick

Greg Colbrunn

Mark Sweeney

Tino Martinez (Team Option)

Ruben Sierra

David McCarty

Tony Clark

Travis Lee

Erubiel Durazo

Brian Buchanan

2006-2007.

Sean Casey

Phil Nevin

Derrek Lee He will be too expensive.

Jeff Bagwell (Team Option)

Darin Erstad

Dimitri Young (Team Option)

David Ortiz (Team Option)

Craig Wilson Better than konerko and will be much cheaper and can play the outfield if you need him to.

Nick JohnsonBe pretty good bargain unless he can string together two heatly years back to back.

Aubrey Huff One of my favorite players in baseball but is gonna bring home a nice check because of his versatility and the fact he is left handed always helps.   

Edited by qwerty

Is it cool if I like Paulie and want to keep him, provided he picks it up this year, at a reasonable price?

I really can't tell by some of these posts.

Durazo looks great playing 1st base, by the way...

(I do like Erubiel though.)

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 1, 2005 -> 04:26 AM)
Is it cool if I like Paulie and want to keep him, provided he picks it up this year, at a reasonable price?

I really can't tell by some of these posts.

Sure, but if he wants any where near what sexson got he can let the door hit his ass on the way out. If he ends up repeating last year you can be sure some team will be willing to offer him that much. He is too one dimensional to make ten million a year and too streaky to bat fourth for us. Ideally don't you want your three and four hitters to be extremely consistent? That is what i see around all of baseball anyway except for the really s***ty teams.

Some guys who stick out at me from qwerty's list;

Mientkiewicz - Could be like the Pierzynski situation playing out all over again. Could want to sign with us for 1 year or 2 to re - up his value again, if he can hit over .300 for us like he did in Minny. Excellent defensive 1st baseman which I sure will be a plus for Ozzie. Currently hitting .238 with 4 HR's in New York for the Mets.

Kevin Millar - Definitely an excellent guy in the clubhouse, and a pretty good 1st baseman although he's currently hitting .253 with 0 HR's this month. Don't know Boston would want to let him go unless they decide to upgrade.

J.T Snow - For reasons that I outlined earlier. In 20 games he's hit .322 with 0 HR's and 6 RBI's.

Scott Hatteberg - Wouldn't be a bad stop gap although his age at 35 is getting up there, and he's a Billy Beane favorite with that team option, so I doubt he'll be available, unless they decide to go for some youth.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 1, 2005 -> 02:51 AM)

Yup, that's also what Crede did all year last year. He was going so bad he'd swing at first pitches in the dirt and then he'd take the first pitch if it was right down the middle of the plate. As far as the contract situation goes I think the best way to handle it still is to wait and see. See how Pauly battles through this year and see how much money he demands. I really like Durazo and Millar wouldn't be a bad plan either, Snow wouldn't be bad but he doesn't thrill me. Should be an interesting scenario to follow.

EDIT: qwerty, do you know how much Dmitry's option is for?

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 1, 2005 -> 09:26 AM)

Durazo hasn't played 1st. He is strictly DH. They even moved Nick Swisher to some some 1B to avoid putting Durazo there when Hatteberg gets a day off.

The Sunday Matinee:

Jon Garland: 4-0; 1.80 ERA; 30 IP; 11 K; .87 WHIP

Wilfredo Ledezma: 1-1; 5.82 ERA; 17 IP; 9 K; 1.59 WHIP

On Fire:

Tadahito Iguchi: .333 BA; 9 RBI; .729 OPS; 3 SB's

Nook Logan: .422 BA; 19 Hits; 1.025 OPS; 3 SB's

Cold as Ice:

Jermaine Dye: .175 BA; .205 OBP; 3 BB-16K

Omar Infante: Last 7 days: 2-15; 1 RBI

Let's hope Ozzie doesnt throw out another bulls*** lineup because its the last game of the series...

LF: Konerko

2B: Pierzynski

DH: Podsednik

1B: Iguchi

RF: Crede

C: Rowand

3B: Dye

SS: Everett

CF: Uribe

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 1, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
Let's hope Ozzie doesnt throw out another bulls*** lineup because its the last game of the series...

LF: Konerko

2B: Pierzynski

DH: Podsednik

1B: Iguchi

RF: Crede

C: Rowand

3B: Dye

SS: Everett

CF: Uribe

Didn't I hear that Ozuna is going to be used out of the pen today?