The Ways of Building a Pitching Staff

CWSGuy406

Link

Pretty interesting read. I'm hoping that we can be a Boston-lite, with a better bottom three, but a worse top two. We should be in the upper tier of starting rotations, though. Hopefully El Duque can stay reasonably healthy.

It's also good to see (knock on wood) that we've been in just about every game we've played. Other than the game in which Vizcaino had to take one for the team, we've been in every game.

I know how they say its early, blah blah blah, this is f***ing impressive.

Sox have 5 starters in the AL Top 25 ERA.

4 top 10

1. Garland

6. El Duque

8. Garcia

10. Contreras

24. Buehrle

Thats f***ing incredible.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
Link

Pretty interesting read.  I'm hoping that we can be a Boston-lite, with a better bottom three, but a worse top two.  We should be in the upper tier of starting rotations, though.  Hopefully El Duque can stay reasonably healthy. 

It's also good to see (knock on wood) that we've been in just about every game we've played.  Other than the game in which Vizcaino had to take one for the team, we've been in every game.

In that case, I'd say our model is more suggestive of the Cardinals method.

Basically this article indicates that the best way for a lower budget team to consistently build a staff through free agency is to consistently try to sign high value bottom of the rotation pitchers and hope that guys in your farm can become those top of the rotation guys that you can sign and keep at a reduced free agency rate (see Johan Santana). In reality, this is what we did last season and offseason to prepare for this one. On paper alone, we upgraded our bottom 3 from Garland, Schoenweis, and ____ to Garland++ (although nobody could have counted on this), Contreras, and Duque. I think when you look at this study, it shows just how important the Duque signing was to the "mathematics" of making this a very sound pitching team. You should also be able to get get significant bang-for-buck by adding significant bullpen arms; however, I think that the Tigers this season show that you do need sufficient starters. A good article that should give GMs food for thought.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 1, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
I know how they say its early, blah blah blah, this is f***ing impressive.

Sox have 5 starters in the AL Top 25 ERA.

4 top 10

1.  Garland

6.  El Duque

8.  Garcia

10. Contreras

24. Buehrle

Thats f***ing incredible.

Almost as incredible as Buehrle being at the bottom of that list. It's like the bizarro world.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 2, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Contreras is tied with Johan for third in the AL for BAA (.200)  :o

He's been very good. He's hard on the eyes most of the time but as long as he keeps pitching like he has been then I'm perfectly fine with his approach.