Cousins Wed....

aboz56

QUOTE(Steff @ May 2, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
OK.. to clear this up.. I used the word touche in response to you saying BatGirl was annoying inferring that you might also be considered annoying. It was in jest and meant to be a joke, and not in any way, shape, or form agreeing with you that she was/is annoying - because I think she's a bit funny. I've never used "touche" as an agreeing term... is that how you are using it..?

:P

I figured you were implying that, but I just found it funny that you were misusing the word. So when trying to "joke" about me, you made it seem as if you were acknowledging my point...

touche -- used to acknowledge a hit in fencing or the success or appropriateness of an argument, an accusation, or a witty point

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 2, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
:P

I figured you were implying that, but I just found it funny that you were misusing the word...

touche -- used to acknowledge a hit in fencing or the success or appropriateness of an argument, an accusation, or a witty point

"success or appropriateness of an argument, an accusation, or a witty point"... the point being that you may or may not also sometimes be considered annoying. Not misused at all.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 2, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
But brothers and sisters marrying would be incest.. that's a whole nother (

but if their relationship is based upon love, why would you want to put a limitation on their rights? why would a man and a man or a woman and a woman have greater access to marriage rights than a woman and a man who were brother and sister? If we legalize non-heterosexual marriages on the basis of inequal treatment and rights, then anyone seeking a marriage license should have equal access to those same rights despite their relationship to the souse-to-be. If we are telling the courts to ignore gender, like we told courts that race has no bearing in marriage, then also relationship cannot be taken in account. Therefore, brothers and sister, mothers and son, etc should all be granted the same marriage rights as anyone else.

It's your logic not mine.

Cousins getting married = homosexuals getting married

I'd be interested in hearing what some of the pro-gay marriage folks have to say about this situation. How does it compare, in a theoretical way? If gay marriage is okay, are incestual marriages okay as well. If not, why?

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 3, 2005 -> 05:49 AM)
I'd be interested in hearing what some of the pro-gay marriage folks have to say about this situation.  How does it compare, in a theoretical way?  If gay marriage is okay, are incestual marriages okay as well.  If not, why?

I think the incestual marriage has been ruled out due to the fact of increase in deformities and other such things that could cause "freak show" children...where as gay marriage I am fairly certain one wouldn't have to concern much with that.... :huh

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 3, 2005 -> 06:54 AM)
I think the incestual marriage has been ruled out due to the fact of increase in deformities and other such things that could cause "freak show" children...where as gay marriage I am fairly certain one wouldn't have to concern much with that.... :huh

The statistics showed only a slight increase of that possibility. So that doesn't carry much weight.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 3, 2005 -> 05:54 AM)

Ok, but we're living in a society that condones trans-sexual operation, then why not an operation that renders the brother and sister sterile? And then they have the option to adopt, like gay couples have.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ May 3, 2005 -> 06:05 AM)
Ok, but we're living in a society that condones trans-sexual operation, then why not an operation that renders the brother and sister sterile? And then they have the option to adopt, like gay couples have.

Hey if they want to have one be sterile and marry then I say more power to them... as disgusting as it is to me who am I to tell someone who to love and marry. I personally think people should just let others people live their lives and you live your own. Of course that will never happen because people love to try and tell others how to live. I am not an advocate for anyone but I say let people live their lives... everyone has to have somebody. Probably not a popular thought but it wouldn't be the 1st time I have heard that.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 3, 2005 -> 06:04 AM)
The statistics showed only a slight increase of that possibility.  So that doesn't carry much weight.

Double the risk from non-related couples, if the articles cited in this thread are right.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 3, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
Double the risk from non-related couples, if the articles cited in this thread are right.

True. You can look at it as double the risk, or as a greater than 90% chance their be no problems of any kind. It's all how you want to spin it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 3, 2005 -> 07:45 AM)
True.  You can look at it as double the risk, or as a greater than 90% chance there be no problems of any kind.  It's all how you want to spin it.

True, it is a better than 90% chance. But if for some reason I wanted to marry my cousin (which, sounds about as appealing as marrying Rush Limbaugh or Micheal Moore) I would still adopt. No point in taking risks with someone else's life and health.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 3, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
Apparently, that would be YOUR logic....

If it's not condoned as of now, it's heading that way. See formerly male golfers playing in women's gold tourneys for an example.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 3, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
If it's not condoned as of now, it's heading that way.  See formerly male golfers playing in women's gold tourneys for an example.

I can with absolute positivity say that not ALL of society does or will ever condone this...

QUOTE(Steff @ May 3, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
I sure hope I didn't imply that it's my opinion that they would..

Not at all. Just putting things in perspective. Not all of society accepts interracial marriage either.