Hitchhiker Leads Lackluster Frame

Yoda

hitchhikersguidetothegalaxy_poster3.jpg

1.) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy $21,707,000

2.) The Interpreter $14,248,000

3.) XXX: State of the Union $12,712,272

4.) The Amityville Horror (2005) $8,100,000

5.) Sahara $6,000,000

What was expected to be an explosive frame to kickstart the summer box office ended up becoming the tenth consecutive down weekend for Hollywood as a pair of big-budget action films failed to ignite overall ticket sales. Capturing the top spot with a solid launch was the sci-fi entry The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy but the action sequel XXX: State of the Union was clobbered in its launch and finished in third place despite a heavy marketing push. Industry hopes for a much-needed rebound as the summer blockbusters start lining up for takeoff were dashed. Despite the openings of two major contenders, the top ten inched up a mere 4% compared to last weekend and slipped 2% versus last year when no summer blockbusters were launched.

Edited by Yoda

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ May 1, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
P.S.  I'm leaving right now to go see Kung Fu Hustle! :headbang

That's the sequel to Kung Pow right? I know Kung Pow was good but I can't wait to see Kung Fu Hustle. I'm expecting a review when you return.

its actually not a sequel, not by steve odekerk...

Hitchhiker was really fun though, not entirely true to the books but a good film nonetheless... it has sequel written all over it though

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 1, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
That's the sequel to Kung Pow right? I know Kung Pow was good but I can't wait to see Kung Fu Hustle. I'm expecting a review when you return.

No. Not even close. But they are gonna make a sequel for kung fu hustle.

Actor-director Stephen Chow has revealed that shooting on the sequel to his New Year hit "Kung Fu Hustle" will begin later this year.

The Hong Kong star was speaking at a promotional event in Tokyo, Saturday, where he also thanked his Japanese fans.

Kung Fu Hustle's sequel made a killing at box offices on the Chinese Mainland, taking 100 million Yuan, about 12 million Us dollars in the ten-day period ending on 1 January 2005.

In Hong Kong, it took HK$ 47 million, over US$ 6 million in the same period, while there was also huge success in Taiwan, hitting US$ 3 million in just 9 days, breaking the previous record set by "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Kings".

Shoalin soccer was suppose to have a sequel but do not know what is happenign with that.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 1, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
No. Not even close. But they are gonna make a sequel for kung fu hustle.

Shoalin soccer was suppose to have a sequel but do not know what is happenign with that.

Ya, Kung Fu Hustle is by the same people who did Shaolin Hustle but I'm assuming it wasn't supposed to be a sequel, even though some of the same actors were in it.

Both really enjoyable films though. Hell, I was bored yesterday so I mooched a free movie off my buddy that works the theatres and saw XXX of all things (no other movies were starting when we got there) and actually it wasn't all that bad. Some pretty badass action scenes. I wouldn't pay good money to see it, but worth renting.

Hell its 10000000 times better than Sin City :) and a lot of other movies I've seen as of late.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 1, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
Ya, Kung Fu Hustle is by the same people who did Shaolin *soccer* but I'm assuming it wasn't supposed to be a sequel, even though some of the same actors were in it. 

Both really enjoyable films though.  Hell, I was bored yesterday so I mooched a free movie off my buddy that works the theatres and saw XXX of all things (no other movies were starting when we got there) and actually it wasn't all that bad.  Some pretty badass action scenes.  I wouldn't pay good money to see it, but worth renting.

Hell its 10000000 times better than Sin City :) and a lot of other movies I've seen as of late.

:P

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
I'd be curious to hear more reviews on "Hitchhiker" if anyone else saw it.

Well i have not seen it yet but i have heard if you read the series of books then the movie is for you. If you haven't your like what the f*** is going on this is stupid.

I saw Hitchhiker's over the weekend and it was different, I'd never read any of the books so I can't really compare it to that. All I can say is that it was different and entertaining. It was solid. Nothing that'll blow you away but nothing that you'll walk out on either.

Zooey Deschanel's (the chick in my avatar) in it so that's a plus.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ May 1, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
Umm I think xXx should be in 3rd with just under 14 million.

You're right. I screwed up by not adding XXX up there. But I fixed it just now. ;)