Jon Garland

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ May 1, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
I think JG is a 20 game winner for one reason, he is in the 5 hole, he matches up against 5th starters (for the most part).  Here is a list of the fifth starters in the AL:

Kevin Gregg, Joe Blanton, Dave Bush, Hideo Nomo, Scott Elarton, Ryan Franklin, Bruce Chen, Pedro Astacio, Bronson Arroyo, Zach Greinke,Wilfredo Ledezma, Joe Mays, Kevin Brown

I know that I'd take Garland in any game over any of those guys.  If he continues to throw strikes, get the ground ball outs, and continue to limit his walks I dont see why he can't be a 20 game winner this year

Those matchups won't be consistent as the year goes on.

Offdays and rainouts will cancel out most 5 vs 5 matchups.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think JG is a 20 game winner for one reason, he is in the 5 hole, he matches up against 5th starters (for the most part).  Here is a list of the fifth starters in the AL:

Kevin Gregg, Joe Blanton, Dave Bush, Hideo Nomo, Scott Elarton, Ryan Franklin, Bruce Chen, Pedro Astacio, Bronson Arroyo, Zach Greinke,Wilfredo Ledezma, Joe Mays, Kevin Brown

I know that I'd take Garland in any game over any of those guys.  If he continues to throw strikes, get the ground ball outs, and continue to limit his walks I dont see why he can't be a 20 game winner this year

I don't necessarily agree with that. I'd say he's as likely to matchup with an ace as he is to with a 5th starter later on in the year. Jon's a different pitcher this year, all the sudden his sinker is just moving all over the freakin place, he's using his changeup well and he's just more confident then he's ever been. Jon's going to win us a lot of game this year.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ May 2, 2005 -> 03:11 AM)

Hmmm, I thought that Zack was the Royals ace?

From ace to 5th starter...that blows.

Kevin Brown has to be ahead of Wright, no?

The others sound right. I know that the Twins have a rookie in the 5th spot right now...I forget his name. It ain't Mays.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 1, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
Hmmm, I thought that Zack was the Royals ace?

From ace to 5th starter...that blows. 

Kevin Brown has to be ahead of Wright, no?

The others sound right.  I know that the Twins have a rookie in the 5th spot right now...I forget his name.  It ain't Mays.

Actually Mays is back. Oh yeah and Greinke is their ace, period.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 1, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
The others sound right.  I know that the Twins have a rookie in the 5th spot right now...I forget his name.  It ain't Mays.

Your thinking of gassner. He made a couple of starts when silva was out.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 2, 2005 -> 03:18 AM)
Actually Mays is back.  Oh yeah and Greinke is their ace, period.

Yep, Mays just came back after being off for over a year, but Silva is still out. I know they have a rookie that has been somewhat impressive out of the 5th spot. Gnosser or Gnossing or some s***. Something like that.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 1, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
Is Silva back already?  I know he's putting off surgery or whatever.

Apr. 30, 2005 - 12:26 am et

Carlos Silva was touched for 11 hits and an intentional walk against the Angels tonight, but he surrendered just four runs over seven innings.

Silva pitched out of big jams in the fourth and fifth, allowing him to pick up his second win of the season. Even though the intentional walk to Garret Anderson tonight was the first walk issued by Silva in three starts this year, we don't see him improving on last year's numbers.

Go look at Blanton and Chen's numbers. I would still take JG over them, but they're not bums this year. Also, I didn't know Garland was facing the pitcher. I didn't know the White Sox were in the NL. I'm pretty sure he faces the batting order those teams have to offer.

#5s being successful because they are facing #5s is a highly overrated line of thought. Teams don't play the same schedules, same days. There will come a time when we have Garland out there against another teams #1. It happens. Rotations change around days off.

Now, with that being said, I still think Garland will win between 15-20 games. He is a different pitcher this year, trusting his offspeed pitches enough to be his out pitch, letting his defense make plays behind him.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 2, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
Well alright, that's good news for the Sox.  I never thought much of Silva.  I'd give him a C- if I were grading Twins starters.

The trade that they did when they traded Eric Milton for Silva and Nick Punto IIRC, was definitely another great move by Terry Ryan. Silva should provide an ERA of around 4 and win about 13 to 15 games, which is really pretty damn good for a #3 starter, especially in the AL.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 1, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
The trade that they did when they acquired Eric Milton for Silva and Nick Punto IIRC, was definitely another great move by Terry Ryan. Silva should provide an ERA of around 4 and win about 13 to 15 games, which is really pretty damn good for a #3 starter, especially in the AL.

Ya, that sure worked well you know the Twins acquiring Milton and all :P

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:45 AM)
Also, I didn't know Garland was facing the pitcher. I didn't know the White Sox were in the NL. I'm pretty sure he faces the batting order those teams have to offer.

Well, he's talking in terms of run support. When Buehrle faces Santana, Radke, Sabathia, or Greinke, he ain't getting much run support. Now, Garland on the other hand? I don't have the statistics handy, and Garland doesn't exactly need any run support for the time being, but how many runs have we averaged per game for Garland thus far, and how does that figure compare to the rest of our starters?

Actually, can anyone recommend a site where one can look these things up?

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 1, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
Well, he's talking in terms of run support.  When Buehrle faces Santana, Radke, Sabathia, or Greinke, he ain't getting much run support.  Now, Garland on the other hand?  I don't have the statistics handy, and Garland doesn't exactly need any run support for the time being, but how many runs have we averaged per game for Garland thus far, and how does that figure compare to the rest of our starters? 

Ask Juggs, I've got a hunch he knows where to find some stats.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 1, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Well, he's talking in terms of run support.  When Buehrle faces Santana, Radke, Sabathia, or Greinke, he ain't getting much run support.  Now, Garland on the other hand?  I don't have the statistics handy, and Garland doesn't exactly need any run support for the time being, but how many runs have we averaged per game for Garland thus far, and how does that figure compare to the rest of our starters? 

You don't need a whole lot of run support when you pitch shutouts.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:52 AM)
Silva should provide an ERA of around 4 and win about 13 to 15 games, which is really pretty damn good for a #3 starter, especially in the AL.

I think that he can turn things around because he definitely has solid control, but these splits are pretty bad:

2003 Post ASB: .317 BAA, 1.59 WHIP

2004 Pre ASB: .318 BAA, 1.48 WHIP

2004 Post ASB: .300 BAA, 1.37 WHIP

In 6 starts against the Sox, he has a 5.71 ERA, a 1.44 WHIP, and a .312 BAA.

EDIT: And this is with a good defensive squad behind him.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 2, 2005 -> 05:00 AM)
You don't need a whole lot of run support when you pitch shutouts.

Right on, but he's saying that Garland is only facing the opposition's batting order, and not the pitcher. While this is an interesting theory, I'm gonna go ahead and call bulls*** on that. If run support ain't one hell of a psychological boost, I dunno what is. And yeah, while Garland may act cool and front like nothing in the world bothers him, we all know that the dude is human.