Thomas calls Selig's steroid plan 'perfect'

greasywheels121

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Thomas calls Selig's steroid plan 'perfect'

By Dave van Dyck

Frank Thomas, an outspoken opponent of steroids and member of a special Congressional task force, backs the three-strike plan of Commissioner Bud Selig.

"I think it's perfect," Thomas said Sunday. "The bottom line is this is an illegal drug. There's not any way to make this a nice thing. It's illegal.

"And if you're going to do it three times, obviously you've got a problem. I think that after one time you would be so embarrassed that you wouldn't do it again."

The White Sox slugger, rehabilitating from ankle surgery, was speaking a day after Selig promoted a plan calling for a 50-day suspension for a first positive steroid test, 100 days for a second and lifetime banishment for a third. Selig's proposal, however, cannot become baseball law until it is approved by the Players Association, which could resist such stiff penalties.

"That's their job," Thomas said of the union, of which he is a member.

But he believes stronger penalties will be more effective than the current agreement, which calls for 10-day, 30-day, 60-day and one-year suspensions for positive tests with a fifth-time offender having his penalty set by the commissioner. During a meeting on Capitol Hill, a Congressional panel was critical of the penalties as being too lenient.

"If you take that strong stance, then it will be [over with] quickly," Thomas said.

Thomas said he has not been tested and believes only about eight of his teammates have in the program that randomly selects players throughout the year.

He also said he understood why players injected themselves with steroids during the 1990s.

"Why wouldn't you?" he asked. "I understand where they're coming from when you get $15 [million] to $20 million a year. I can't blame them. It wasn't illegal then in the game of baseball. Now it is.

"Thank God I didn't have to. I was blessed with size and strength. … When I left high school [to go to Auburn], I was 232 pounds.

"We all want a level playing field. If Bud can put his program in place, [steroid use] will be done."

I don't have a problem with the plan.

In fact, I often wonder why its taken so long to take a hard line stance like this.

Steroids have no place in the game and if you test positive three times, you should be banned for life.

Kudos to Frank for speaking out on this.

He did a great job at the steroid hearing as well.

QUOTE(Cy Garland @ May 1, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
All he did was read his opening statement :bang

He said that he never used, which others refused to do and came out and said what he felt on the topic.

He may have not answered questions from the so-called panel, his statement was good.

The problem I have would not be the penalties. I am all for the stiffer penalties. But they need to make sure they have comprehensive testing, surprise tests, at home tests in season or out of season and no limit on the number of tests for a player. Stiff penalties won't help if the players figure out how to mask the test results.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ May 1, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
The problem I have would not be the penalties.  I am all for the stiffer penalties.  But they need to make sure they have comprehensive testing, surprise tests, at home tests in season or out of season and no limit on the number of tests for a player.  Stiff penalties won't help if the players figure out how to mask the test results.

Very true Rex. I also think they need to ban way more substances.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 2, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
Very true Rex.  I also think they need to ban way more substances.

Agreed, that falls right in line with the others... The plan needs to be comprehensive and have stiff penalties.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ May 1, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
The problem I have would not be the penalties.  I am all for the stiffer penalties.  But they need to make sure they have comprehensive testing, surprise tests, at home tests in season or out of season and no limit on the number of tests for a player.  Stiff penalties won't help if the players figure out how to mask the test results.

...also, judging by the players who've tested positive so far, MLB needs to start testing power hitters and players who start on a regular basis.... :D

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 2, 2005 -> 03:49 AM)
...also, judging by the players who've tested positive so far, MLB needs to start testing power hitters and players who start on a regular basis.... :D

No green needed there. 4 players have been suspended, and I think 3 of them were already back in the minors. That is a joke.