if we are still in first place at deadline

soxfan420

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pricew would be Brandon McCarthy given the market and theneed and none of those guys are worth top prospects with one exception: Billy Wagner. You don't pay a king's ransom for Baez, Affeldt, or Dotel with so many other teams in need of a closer. If Hermanson doesn't keep this up and Billy Wagner is the difference between going to the WS and not going then you do what it takes to grab him. Not sure if it'll be an iusse though

Bringing in a closer would be Plan E, or maybe even Plan F.

Plan A = Shingo

Plan B = Hermanson

Plan C = Marte

Plan D = Vizcaino

Plan E = outside help or Pollitte

If Frank's still struggling to return, a more pressing need could be a power bat.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:16 AM)
Pricew would be Brandon McCarthy given the market and theneed and none of those guys are worth top prospects with one exception: Billy Wagner. You don't pay a king's ransom for Baez, Affeldt, or Dotel with so many other teams in need of a closer.  If Hermanson doesn't keep this up and Billy Wagner is the difference between going to the WS and not going then you do what it takes to grab him. Not sure if it'll be an iusse though

McCarthy is our best Pitcher in the minors by far, I'd be shocked if they trade him.

I wouldnt mind adding another bullpen arm, but I think if Shingo cant close anymore than hermy can do the job fine.

I would say add another bat to this team but really I dont know what position to get, I guess Frank Thomas is like adding a player at the deadline.

I'd say Jose Mesa would probably be more likely. Dave Littlefield could even want Joe Borchard. They are absolutely desperate for a power hitting outfielder besides Jason Bay.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 2, 2005 -> 06:56 AM)
Kinda early to be thinking about this, but I'd say we'll need another hitter before we need an arm.

It's definitely early but when was the exact date the Freddy trade was made last year?? Late June, right? Kenny likes to work early if there is a pressing need. Right now like I said in another thread I think are big in season move will be the return of Frank Thomas, which is a pretty big move. Besides getting Frank back I really don't see any huge need barring an injury.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 2, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
Aubrey Huff...  :ph34r:

Winner!!!

Huff can play several positions and fits in the budget nicely.

He won't come cheap though. Tampa will want a couple of our best

young prospects.

:gosox3:

They won't add an outfielder with Thomas and Gload coming back and Everett able to play out there. Plus, their farm system's strength is outfielders. They will not make a trade here.

I would think a closer or a middle infielder would be the areas to look at . Billy Wagner would be an outstanding pickup if we didn't have to give up too much. However, he is still very expensive and I doubt the Sox would do it unless they start filling up the place ASAP. Also, I doubt the Phillies will be so far out of it that they would unload him and if they do, plenty of teams would be interested.

If its a closer that you want, its rumored that TB would rid themselves of Baez for a hot hitting outfielder.

As far as other players that we may need, Cintron, I think, is a good option. But at this point I dont think there is much we need. Maybe another bat, but it hasnt hurt us yet.