if we are still in first place at deadline

soxfan420

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
I have a feeling that KW would go after Nomar(if healthy and the Flubs are out of it, as we know they will be). Seems like a KW move. He likes to get name players and Nomar at SS would show(the average fans) that the Sox are forreal about going after it all. Guarentee it wouldn't cost us McCarthy either.

If Nomah comes back healthy and starts producing that would be an awesome move

A solid Nomah would make this line up really solid for the playoffs

Pods (LF)

Iguchi (2B)

Frank (DH)

Paulie (1B)

Everett (RF)

Nomah (SS)

Dye/Rowand (CF)

Crede (3B)

AJ Pierz ©

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
I have a feeling that KW would go after Nomar(if healthy and the Flubs are out of it, as we know they will be). Seems like a KW move. He likes to get name players and Nomar at SS would show(the average fans) that the Sox are forreal about going after it all. Guarentee it wouldn't cost us McCarthy either.

No thanks on Nomar. Keep Juan out there, he's obviously not the hitter Nomar is though he is pretty damn good with the stick but his glove is something special. I don't want to mess with that dp combo of ours.

I have a wild card....when you get into the playoffs, you have to beat the best team out there. And one way to beat them is getting someone they badly need. If you look at the Yankees and Bo Sox, they both need pitching IMO. Their pitchers have injury issues or are geting up in age (Kevin Brown, David Wells, Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson, Mussina, Jared Wright etc)

The one pitcher that will definitely be on the market will be Roger Clemens. If he goes back to the Yankees, we are focked because I just do not see us being able to beat the Yankees then, and if we are serious about a World Series win, we HAVE to stop them from getting Clemens.

We have more to offer than the Yanks or Bo Sox. I would get Clemens, put the Count into the Bull pen and we are set for the playoffs. We improve our BP too that way.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
I have a wild card....when you get into the playoffs, you have to beat the best team out there. And one way to beat them is getting someone they badly need. If you look at the Yankees and Bo Sox, they both need pitching IMO. Their pitchers have injury issues or are geting up in age (Kevin Brown, David Wells, Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson, Mussina, Jared Wright etc)

The one pitcher that will definitely be on the market will be Roger Clemens. If he goes back to the Yankees, we are focked because I just do not see us being able to beat the Yankees then, and if we are serious about a World Series win, we HAVE to stop them from getting Clemens.

We have more to offer than the Yanks or Bo Sox. I would get Clemens, put the Count into the Bull pen and we are set for the playoffs. We improve our BP too that way.

Ok -- let's give them Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson, along with Jon Garland, for a half a season of Roger Clemens.

Awesome. :headshake

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)

It's not a given by any menas that clemens is available. I'd pay a lot for him though if he were. The goal is to win it all

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
Ok -- let's give them Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson, along with Jon Garland, for a half a season of Roger Clemens.

Awesome.  :headshake

I would not give up that much. Give them one of our OF'ers (they are easy to find eslewhere) + any pitcher except BMac in the minors they want.

The goal is to win it all....and with our luck we never know when we will even be in the playoffs again. The horrors of 2000 and not doing much at the deadline are still alive with me. Go for the jugular damn it. Clemens would be kick ass. Our answer to Schilling and Randy. :gosox4:

Yeah, if Clemens is available and he's willing to play here(hypothetically speaking) and you truly believe you have a chance to win it all, it's your job as a GM and manager to get that player who you believe will put you over the top. I don't doubt KW would do it either(remember when he tried to get Larry Walker and Carlos Delgado last year??). With that said, even if Houston sucks, I think the only teams he would accept a trade to is Boston and NY. Didn't he want to play here after he left Boston??

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Yeah, if Clemens is available and he's willing to play here(hypothetically speaking) and you truly believe you have a chance to win it all, it's your job as a GM and manager to get that player who you believe will put you over the top. I don't doubt KW would do it either(remember when he tried to get Larry Walker and Carlos Delgado last year??). With that said, even if Houston sucks, I think the only teams he would accept a trade to is Boston and NY. Didn't he want to play here after he left Boston??

I wouldn't give up the world for Roger. Don't get me wrong he'd be great to have but he's not unhittable in this league like he is in the nl. He's still a very good pitcher but he'd have an era near or a bit above 4 here.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
I can't say what I would do at the break right now, but I would definitely be looking for  1B for the future.

Jason Stokes is blocked by Delgado

Adrian Gonzalez is blocked by Teixeira

Ryan Howard is blocked by Thome

I would say Count + $ + prospect could get you gonzalez.

As hard as it's been to watch Contreras he's been very effective, I just think it'd be dumb for a contending team to trade one of there starters for a prospect.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
I wouldn't give up the world for Roger.  Don't get me wrong he'd be great to have but he's not unhittable in this league like he is in the nl.  He's still a very good pitcher but he'd have an era near or a bit above 4 here.

Disagree. He's playing in the juicebox or whatever they are calling Houston's park these days. His ERA probably would be in the high 2's, low 3's.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 2, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
As hard as it's been to watch Contreras he's been very effective, I just think it'd be dumb for a contending team to trade one of there starters for a prospect.

I was speculating that there may be a cheaper, just as effective, if not more, option available at that time. :ph34r:

The move wouldn't be for this season, but it would free up some cash and set you up to make another move.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)

I also agree. He's been very effective(he's only been giving up 3 runs at most) when we thought he would get rocked every other start. He looks shaky, but if he's only allowing 3 runs at most, you can't trade him for a prospect, especially if you have a 1st place team.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
Disagree. He's playing in the juicebox or whatever they are calling Houston's park these days. His ERA probably would be in the high 2's, low 3's.

His last 5 years with the Yanks his average era was 4.01. Once again, don't take this as I wouldn't like Roger but I wouldn't give up a ton for him.

If Crede goes back to being Cruddy for the rest of the time between now and A/S break, you have to at least call to find out if the Nats would be willing to trade Vinny Castilla and see whether they would pay some of his salary too for a mid level prospect

He is batting 0.333 currently with 3 HR, 16 RBI, 6 BBs and a 0.388 OBP, before I get the "He can only it in Coors field" response :D

Edited by sox-r-us

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
If Crede goes back to being Cruddy for the rest of the time between now and A/S break, you have to at least call to find out if the Nats would be willing to trade Vinny Castilla and see whether they would pay some of his salary too for a mid level prospect

He is batting 0.333 currently with 3 HR, 16 RBI, 6 BBs and a 0.388 OBP, before I get the "He can only it in Coors field" response  :D

He was batting .467 last week. What does that tell you sox-r-us?? His average is dipping and he's going back to being old Vinny Castilla.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)

He is batting 0.333 currently with 3 HR, 16 RBI, 6 BBs and a 0.388 OBP, before I get the "He can only it in Coors field" response  :D

I'd be willing to bet that Joe out produces Castilla this year.

I would say pitching or middle infielder makes the most sense. Its gonna be a logjam already in the outfield when Frank comes back. Let Everett play like 3 days a week against tough righties or bad matchups or what have you. I'm looking at short and bullpen myself. I'm not sure who is out there to play short but I see it being a weakness most of the year. Otherwise, pitching because I'm not as sure as I used to be that Shingo is gonna come around. Hermanson is not gonna keep it at this level all year ( its impossible) and Politte is not gonna keep it up like this either.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 2, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
I can't say what I would do at the break right now, but I would definitely be looking for  1B for the future.

Jason Stokes is blocked by Delgado

Adrian Gonzalez is blocked by Teixeira

Ryan Howard is blocked by Thome

I would say Count + $ + prospect could get you gonzalez.

Holy hell do we think alike, I've been saying this since the start of the season. I really think it wouldn't take all that much for any of these guys, and i'd be more than happy to toss something like diaz + contreras and cash for gonzalez. Left handed bat, cheap, young, great replacement for Paul "I'm going to cost you guys way too much" Konerko.

My pipedream though is Todd Helton. It'd take a lot but maybe, just maybe getting Helton and moving Konerko could make this offense a monster. If the rockies wouldn't want something like Konerko, Sweeney, Diaz, + prospect then I say move Konerko for the prospects they do want, and toss those prospects + Major Leaguer for Helton. Just think of the OBP w/ Helton and Frank in the lineup hitting 3/4. Ridiculous. I know Helton gets paid like 12.6 million but he's worth it. He's a career .337/.431/.612 hitter, with his three year road stats avg being: .310/.422/.517. Sick. But with the likes of the Yankees and Boston probably going after him, we'd be hard-pressed to see Helton in a white sox uniform anytime soon. But a guy can dream, can't he? :D

It's really not worth talking about sinc eit's just a fatnasy trade for the sake of discussing but I really think that it wouldn't take more than Konerko to get Helton. You wouldn't have to trade Sweeney. Just because you'd take on an enormous amount of money. I think Helton stays put hti syear but could be a Met or Oriole heading into 06