if we are still in first place at deadline

soxfan420

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends, if dye and konerko still arent hitting i wouldnt mind trading for a player like raul ibanez, he plays many positions, or maybe craig wilson, someone eligible at outfield and first base

however i wouldnt mind a backup starter, possibly someone by the name of joe kennedy

QUOTE(soxfan420 @ May 2, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
i would have to say a closer? as it is our only real weakness besides injurys

I would take Aubrey Huff, depending on what Dye is doing by the and on the asking price. I would then put him in left, put Pods in center and ARow in right.

Biggest weakness right now is that number 5 hole in the lineup. We need someone to protect Konerko and get him some better pitches to hit.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
it depends, if dye and konerko still arent hitting i wouldnt mind trading for a player like raul ibanez, he plays many positions, or maybe craig wilson, someone eligible at outfield and first base

however i wouldnt mind a backup starter, possibly someone by the name of joe kennedy

eligible? Who cares. This isn't fantasy baseball. It matters if they can play these positions, not if they qualify or not.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
eligible?  Who cares.  This isn't fantasy baseball.  It matters if they can play these positions, not if they qualify or not.

:headbang

The sad part is some people actually look at a game like it is fantasy baseball.

:headshake

Too early to say, it all depends on injuries in my book. The most probable guess right now (and one that a few others here have already mentioned) is an experienced bat that would be most useful late in the year as in clutch pinch hit type situations, especially given Frank's uncertain situation. But injuries will tell the story as we go, no real way to speculate right now.

Why does everyone seemingly think that the Sox could not use more pitching, and that the offense is the biggest concern? The offense will heat up as the weather does...it has done that for about the past million years. The pitching will get worse. You do not honestly expect Hermanson and Politte to continue to pitch over their heads like this, do you?

I like Hermanson a lot, but Politte scares me. Marte's BB/9 is Koch-esque. Shingo has been shaky to say the very least. Vizcaino has not been a stud for us by any means either. I would say about the first thing this team could use is a very strong pitcher in the pen. Add Billy Wagner, and you're looking at Wagner-Hermanson-Marte with Shingo, Viz, and Politte at the end...that is beyond sick, and probably the best bullpen in the majors.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 2, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
Why does everyone seemingly think that the Sox could not use more pitching, and that the offense is the biggest concern?  The offense will heat up as the weather does...it has done that for about the past million years.  The pitching will get worse.  You do not honestly expect Hermanson and Politte to continue to pitch over their heads like this, do you? 

I like Hermanson a lot, but Politte scares me.  Marte's BB/9 is Koch-esque.  Shingo has been shaky to say the very least.  Vizcaino has not been a stud for us by any means either.  I would say about the first thing this team could use is a very strong pitcher in the pen.  Add Billy Wagner, and you're looking at Wagner-Hermanson-Marte with Shingo, Viz, and Politte at the end...that is beyond sick, and probably the best bullpen in the majors.

Vizcaino has been great, Damaso has and will be damn good this year. Hermy's going to cool off a bit but still be damn good, Cliff is going to stay around a 2.5 era this year, he's challenging the hitters which he didn't do last year, he's a different guy. I still think Shingo's going to turn it around and Neal is a pretty solid long man. I think the bullpen is as deep and as good as anyone's out there, that being said if you have a chance to get Billy Wagner for the right price like you said that'd be absolutely sick.

Well, I ain't giving up on Dye yet. But if he's playing like this come the trade deadline, we'd have to look for a guy who could carry the weight in the middle of the lineup. So far, we look solid from top to bottom in the pitching department. Our biggest weakness at the moment is the run producing from the middle of the lineup. As of late, the top and bottom of the order are holding there own. If we need anything, its somebody to drive these guys in.

QUOTE(soxfan420 @ May 2, 2005 -> 12:08 AM)
i would have to say a closer? as it is our only real weakness besides injurys

I'd tend to say a bat. Problem is I dont know if it would be financially applicable. But if Dye continues to suck and Anderson comes up and struggles and Thomas stays hurt, then you could definately see them add a bat. Otherwise I don't see any holes at this point (I do agree w/closer though...potentially at least).

Injuries to the rotation or other areas could change the needs though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 2, 2005 -> 05:47 AM)
Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson, minimum.

And personally speaking, considering Duque isn't necessarily going to hold up...I would tell them go to hell. With all the good prospects the Sox have its going to be harder to not give up top notch talent.

Overbay is a good idea-the only issue being that we'd have Everett-THomas-Overbay-Konerko for about two spots. You can always mix and match a bit but that's probably too many cooks in the kitchen. Billy Wagner can be the differencemaker for a World Series team-but man o man is that pirce going to be high. Not that I wouldn't pay it but it'd be tough.

For anyone who thinks the offense is automatically heat up as the summer comes, "just because it has done for the past couple of years," just remember that this is a way different hitting lineup and alot of new faces on this team. So don't take it as an automatic heat up.

If we do get pitching help, I would get Billy Wagner as an automatic closer. Hell, hopefully Houston gets so out of it that they trade Brad Lidge(living a fantasy here). I'd say there really isn't no one else that will be remotely available that I would take. I don't see Mesa as a WS closer.

RF would be most logical, but you guys have to wait at least until June to determine what's going to improve and what looks like it's not.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
And personally speaking, considering Duque isn't necessarily going to hold up...I would tell them go to hell.  With all the good prospects the Sox have its going to be harder to not give up top notch talent.

Do you guys really think it would take both McCarthy and Anderson? I was thinking Crede + a couple of prospects, but not quite McCarthy/Sweeney/Anderson-like prospects...?

I was thinking of this exact thing yesterday, and here are my biggest fears.

When Frank comes back, yes we should get some O back. We should then play Carl in RF and play Dye/Rowand using match ups that favor them. However, my concern is that IF we do get to the series we will lose Kong or Frank for every game played in the NL park. That is a huge drop off in production.

I really think the closer situation will be resolved before the deadline.

One of these guys has the potential to take the lead: Hermy, Shingo, Marte.

All it takes is a string of strong scoreless appearances & Ozzie will elevate that guy.

Shingo probably has the biggest challenge right now but Ozzie still believes in his 2004 numbers. My personal favorite is Marte as I am impressed by his splits after the first month:

vs. Left 15AB .200A .368O .333S .702OPS

vs. Right 23AB .174A .345O .348S .693OPS

Ozzie's still living in 2004 w Marte where he was dominant vs LH & struggled vs RH. But eventually he'll start looking at the numbers & realize Marte is looking good vs both. The other big stat for Marte is K/9 (11.45).

A dark horse? B12 Politte, Cliff R 1.35NPERA 14.23POWER .429OPS

It's his K/9 that looks most impressive. Highest on the team & 2nd only to Nathan in the AL.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
Overbay is a good idea-the only issue being that we'd have Everett-THomas-Overbay-Konerko for about two spots. You can always mix and match a bit but that's probably too many cooks in the kitchen. Billy Wagner can be the differencemaker for a World Series team-but man o man is that pirce going to be high. Not that I wouldn't pay it but it'd be tough.

Alot can happen between now and the trading deadline. Frank is still a huge question mark, Everett has had health problems, Pauly isn't exactly tearing it up right now. All that said, I think the Sox will be fine in the first base department, I'm just a fan of Overbay.

I have a feeling that KW would go after Nomar(if healthy and the Flubs are out of it, as we know they will be). Seems like a KW move. He likes to get name players and Nomar at SS would show(the average fans) that the Sox are forreal about going after it all. Guarentee it wouldn't cost us McCarthy either.