Kansas City

DBAHO

Will the Royals win over 50 games this season?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Royals win over 50 games this season?

• Yay
    • Nay

Little piece here from Ken Rosenthal got me thinking of that scenario;

The Royals are such a mess, one scout says, "I almost think they're lost." Another adds sarcastically, "If they win 50 games, it's a great year." Two decisions, in particular, appeared shortsighted: The demotion of 1B/DH Calvin Pickering after only 27 at-bats and the promotion of RHP Ambiorix Burgos to closer in his first season above Class A. It should not have been surprising that Pickering, 28, pressed in his first legitimate major league opportunity. Burgos, 21, possesses an electric arm, but the Royals could retard his development by thrusting him into such a high-pressure role. It seems inevitable the team will trade 1B/DH Mike Sweeney, but his deficiencies at first base almost certainly will eliminate any N.L. interest. . . .

In 2002, the Royals won 62 games. They went 10-9 against a poor Cleveland team, and 10-9 against the 55-win Tigers. They also went 8-11 vs. the Sox and 7-2 vs. Texas. They also managed a 9-game win streak somehow.

The 2005 Royals have a much worse offense than that team and play in a vastly improved division. There's a good chance they'll be right around 50 or so.

I still get a laugh thinking about people predicting these guys to win the division in 2004. They are 3 years away at least, and that is if they keep all of these guys together. They have some great young arms though. Sisco and Burgos are going to be nasty in the 8th and 9th innings.

Don't kid yourself. KC has some very talented hurlers. Problem is, when they need a big hit, you look at that lineup and see only 1 guy that can beat you...and I doubt he'll be there much longer himself.

The Royals are just god awful. They have exactly one guy that can hit, and their pitching staff is composed of guys that are either very young or not that good to start with. In a couple of years Grienke, Affeldt, Burgos, and Sisco could all be impact guys, but they have to find some guys that can actually hit. They'll still win at least 50 though, it's really hard to not win that many.