Jon Garland

tonyho7476

IIRC, $6 mill this year, $8 mill next year.

$8 mill is getting up there in money, especially when there is a hell of a good chance you will need to get a new 1Bman, or at the very least, resign the one you currently have, along with potentially filling needs in the bullpen and paying for new guys coming in at the trade deadline who have 1 more year on their contract...of course, that would be figured out later, assuming KW were to make a trade, and I have no idea why he wouldn't.

When you have Contreras at $8 mill potentially putting up 15 wins and a 3.50 ERA, but also potentially putting up another dud season and going 12 wins 5.00, or BMac at $300,000 putting up 12 wins and a 4.50 ERA, or perhaps even better, you are faced with a seemlingly tough decision that I find very easy to make.  You trade Contreras while his value is still high for the most you can get(like perhaps a stud 1B prospect in Adrian Gonzalez I believe his name is from Texas, or perhaps Ryan Howard from Philly, among others, or maybe you fill out needs on the current MLB team, though I am not sure which needs the Sox will have...depending on what they do with Shingo and the rest of the pen, perhaps some bullpen arms).

Contreras should be the odd man out after this season, period.

Would you rather have this guy for $8.5 million next year? If B-Mac is lights out in Charlotte this season and again in 2006 Spring Training, then by all means trade Contreras. I would definately trade him for Adrian Gonzalez or Ryan Howard and if Contreras pitches the way he is currently over the entire season, I think those two teams might be willing to make those deals as well. The Rangers are especially desperate for a quality starting pitcher with good stuff, hence why they were interested in Carrie Woods. For God's sakes, they have Pedro Astacio and Chan Ho Park in their starting rotation. :o With Mark Teixeira at 1st base, I don't see why they wouldn't want to trade Adrian Gonzalez for a starting pitcher.

Edited by Jabroni

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 5, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
Would you rather have this guy for $8.5 million next year?  If B-Mac is lights out in Charlotte this season and again in 2006 Spring Training, then by all means trade Contreras.  I would definately trade him for Adrian Gonzalez or Ryan Howard and if Contreras pitches the way he is currently over the entire season, I think those two teams might be willing to make those deals as well.  The Rangers are especially desperate for a quality starting pitcher with good stuff, hence why they were interested in Carrie Woods.  For God's sakes, they have Pedro Astacio and Chan Ho Park in their starting rotation. :o With Mark Teixeira at 1st base, I don't see why they wouldn't want to trade Adrian Gonzalez for a starting pitcher.

First of all, Milton was one of the worst signings of the offseason, period. Thousands saw that coming.

Secondly, you can't trade Contreras right before, during, or after ST. If you are going to commit to BMac for 06, you're going to commit to him in November, and if you're not, you keep Contreras. It's that simple.

Finally, even though you didn't mention it in the post, it has been brought up...I am not a fan of having 60% or more of the payroll tied up in the rotation. I would say 50% at the very most, and preferably, between 35-45% is preferred.

I would support a trade involving Contreras for a young 1B like Howard or Adrian Gonzalez.... But if he keeps pitching like the way he is Id hope we might be able to get a little more, Although I think getting a young 1B has to be the focus of the deal because Konerko is not worth what he will ask and we dont have any real 1B prospects in the minors close to the majors.

This all a course would happen after this season.