Twins player suspended for Roids

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely hysterical. Rincon will undoubtedly go through hell after his suspension is over. Too bad we'll have to wait several months before the next White Sox/Twins meeting.

Unfortunately for the Twins, three divisional games with the Indians await them . Let's hope this serves as a distraction. Although it probably won't. Some scrub will be promoted and dominate in Rincon's absence.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
He will be releasing a statement any time now with the standard response of "I bought it at the store, I didn't know it was bad" and that's it. 10 days go by and he will be back pitching again. 

You're 100% right, and that's why Selig's new proposal is so important.

I fully agree with the position John Kruk took on BBTN yesterday evening - these guys get paid millions of dollars to perform. They know exactly what they are putting in their bodies - it can cost you a million dollars a season if something doesn't work well. The "I didn't know what it was" excuse is going to be garbage in 99.9% of cases, but everyone still employs it, since its their only rational defense.

If you have Selig's 50 day suspension proposal become the law of the game, then there is absolutely no excuse for anyone testing positive. These guys would risk losing $100,000+ for even the minimum-wage guys if they had 1 positive test. At that point, if you're putting something in your body wihtout knowing exactly what it is, you deserve to be suspended...and the people who do get suspended will be the ones who still thought they could beat the system.

Anyone care to make any wagers about whether or not Rincon's performance level declines around the end of this season?

Ah yes....10 games will be just fine...he will be shunned from the team. The embarrasment is punishment enough. He will be ridiculed in baseball circles.

oops my bad...he gets to practice with the team the whole time....

Setlik said he believed Rincon, 26, will be allowed to work out with the team during the suspension, but once the games start he's prohibited from being in uniform and cannot be in the clubhouse.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 2, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
Does anyone know the lag time between testing positive and actually getting suspended? I was reading something a couple of weeks ago that claimed a few big names were about to go down. It probably was just rumors, but there does seem to be a delay.

In a morbid sort of way, I hope you're right. I don't think anyone will take this seriously as long as the big name players are still out there without any of them being punished. When those guys start getting taken down, maybe the players will take this seriously.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
In a morbid sort of way, I hope you're right.  I don't think anyone will take this seriously as long as the big name players are still out there without any of them being punished.  When those guys start getting taken down, maybe the players will take this seriously.

It's still a joke. I can't believe it took Congressional hearings just to make selig propose something 'harsher.' Nobody's gonna take it seriously until the punishment is serious.

"Suffice it to say, he was devastated and stunned by the result,'' Setlik said after speaking with Rincon.

Why are they devastated? The cheating bastards know they did it... Its the league that has lost its credibility...

Edited by Beastly

I'd imagine steroids for pitchers would be more for recovery purposes not so much on the field performance.

So with or without 'roids Rincon is a solid reliever...but without the 'roids will his body break down under the stress of a reliever's schedule after it has relied on steroids to recover from day to day?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 2, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
Im surprised that he got caught, but I am very interested to see what happens to him after.  I wonder if we will see any drop off in performance.

No Derrick Turnbow got caught on 'roids by the IOC not long ago, and his stuff didn't regress from what I read.

Like I said previously, I think they use them for stamina and recovery not power, as hitters do.

(though they say every 10 pounds a pitcher adds to their bench max adds 1 mph to their fastball)

It seems to me being ripped could harm a pitchers delivery.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
You're 100% right, and that's why Selig's new proposal is so important.

I fully agree with the position John Kruk took on BBTN yesterday evening - these guys get paid millions of dollars to perform.  They know exactly what they are putting in their bodies - it can cost you a million dollars a season if something doesn't work well.  The "I didn't know what it was" excuse is going to be garbage in 99.9% of cases, but everyone still employs it, since its their only rational defense.

If you have Selig's 50 day suspension proposal become the law of the game, then there is absolutely no excuse for anyone testing positive.  These guys would risk losing $100,000+ for even the minimum-wage guys if they had 1 positive test.  At that point, if you're putting something in your body wihtout knowing exactly what it is, you deserve to be suspended...and the people who do get suspended will be the ones who still thought they could beat the system.

Anyone care to make any wagers about whether or not Rincon's performance level declines around the end of this season?

:cheers

All of your posts in this thread have been fantastic. Very well summing up why Selig's proposal needs to be approved by the players association. I hope Fehr and the players realize this and that the majority who aren't using steroids sign off on it to level the playing field.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
It's still a joke.  I can't believe it took Congressional hearings just to make selig propose something 'harsher.'  Nobody's gonna take it seriously until the punishment is serious.

This has nothing to do with Selig. Selig would of implemented it a long time ago. The problem was the player association never had any reason to get serious about it. Why should they risk having there players get caught, then fined and lose money. Now that the steroid hearings went on and everything else that has happened Selig finally has some leverage to hopefully get the union to agree to this newer deal.

QUOTE(1549 @ May 2, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
No Derrick Turnbow got caught on 'roids by the IOC not long ago, and his stuff didn't regress from what I read. 

Like I said previously, I think they use them for stamina and recovery not power, as hitters do.

(though they say every 10 pounds a pitcher adds to their bench max adds 1 mph to their fastball)

It seems to me being ripped could harm a pitchers delivery.

It depends, if you rely on your fastball you may find out your in trouble. Velocity can be effected by a few MPH. We all have seen it first hand. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 2, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Yeah I think that the perception is that steroids cut your muscles but they can add strenght in a non-weight lifting way. I do think it is interesting to hear about how many relievers have had their velocity drop this year

Ya, it makes no difference. I'd bet at most 1% of starting pitchers in this league use it, but relievers could greatly benefit from it. Hell just watch more relievers then hitters get busted or something along those lines.

I do think that more starters use it than you think, but I do agree that relievers are perhaps the biggest part of the problem. Recall: relievers did not really exist in the pre-steroid era (in the way they are used now). There is a lot we don't know about what is human and superhuman for relievers. One thing I do not like is that every guy who drops in velocity gets suspicion. Now, I realize I just cited drops in velocity as a sign of use. However, going off roids will cause some guys to lose velocity and clean guys lose velocity. Do guys (and I hate bringing up names) like Jason Shcmidt and Keith Foulke get their reputations tarnished due to velocity drops? If so-that's unfortunate

Why, they haven't tested positive, plus it happens with age. Hoffman used to throw quite a bit harder, but to me Foulke never did. I understand wear and tear, but if your healthy and lose 5-6 MPH off your fastball all of a sudden, I'd say there are good odds its roids.

However I'm not one to point fingers..I'd rather let positive tests be the proof.