Garland AL POM and POW

Congrats Jon! :cheers :gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox3:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Jon Garland named American League Pitcher of the Month for April

Pitcher also named AL co-Player of the Week

CHICAGO -- Right-handed pitcher Jon Garland of the Chicago White Sox has been named American League Pitcher of the Month for April and AL co-Player of the Week with New York's Alex Rodriguez for April 25-May 1.

Garland, 25, went 4-0 with a 1.80 ERA (6 ER/30.0 IP) and one shutout in four starts during the month. He led the AL in ERA and runners per 9.0 IP (7.8) and tied for the lead in wins, quality starts (four) and opponents average (.200).

Garland threw his second consecutive shutout on Sunday vs. Detroit, becoming the first White Sox pitcher to accomplish that feat since Jack McDowell in September 1991. The outing extended his consecutive scoreless IP streak to 23.0, the longest by a Sox starter since Mark Buehrle went 24.2 in 2001. Garland opened the week by throwing a four-hit shutout in a 6-0 victory at Oakland on April 25.

For the season, the 6-foot-6, 215-pounder is 5-0 with a 1.38 ERA (6 ER/ 39.0 IP) and two shutouts. He leads the AL in eight major categories: wins, ERA, shutouts, opponents average (.185), on-base percentage (.220) and slugging percentage (.252), runners per 9.0 IP (7.15) and quality starts (five). Garland also is tied for the lead in complete games and tied for second in home runs allowed per 9.0 IP (0.23).

Garland, the first five-game winner in the AL and the first White Sox pitcher to win his first five starts since Esteban Loaiza in 2003, has won his last seven starts dating back to last season, compiling a 1.52 ERA (9 ER/53.1 IP).

Garland is the first Sox pitcher to win the AL monthly award since Mark Buehrle in May 2004 and the first Sox pitcher named AL Player of the Week since Bartolo Colon on September 8-14, 2003.

Edited by greasywheels121

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:headbang

Jon G gets his props!!

TOPIC MERGED - Kap

Jon Garland named American League Pitcher of the Month for April

Pitcher also named AL co-Player of the Week

CHICAGO -- Right-handed pitcher Jon Garland of the Chicago White Sox has been named American League Pitcher of the Month for April and AL co-Player of the Week with New York's Alex Rodriguez for April 25-May 1.

Garland, 25, went 4-0 with a 1.80 ERA (6 ER/30.0 IP) and one shutout in four starts during the month. He led the AL in ERA and runners per 9.0 IP (7.8) and tied for the lead in wins, quality starts (four) and opponents average (.200).

Garland threw his second consecutive shutout on Sunday vs. Detroit, becoming the first White Sox pitcher to accomplish that feat since Jack McDowell in September 1991. The outing extended his consecutive scoreless IP streak to 23.0, the longest by a Sox starter since Mark Buehrle went 24.2 in 2001. Garland opened the week by throwing a four-hit shutout in a 6-0 victory at Oakland on April 25.

For the season, the 6-foot-6, 215-pounder is 5-0 with a 1.38 ERA (6 ER/ 39.0 IP) and two shutouts. He leads the AL in eight major categories: wins, ERA, shutouts, opponents average (.185), on-base percentage (.220) and slugging percentage (.252), runners per 9.0 IP (7.15) and quality starts (five). Garland also is tied for the lead in complete games and tied for second in home runs allowed per 9.0 IP (0.23).

Garland, the first five-game winner in the AL and the first White Sox pitcher to win his first five starts since Esteban Loaiza in 2003, has won his last seven starts dating back to last season, compiling a 1.52 ERA (9 ER/53.1 IP).

Garland is the first Sox pitcher to win the AL monthly award since Mark Buehrle in May 2004 and the first Sox pitcher named AL Player of the Week since Bartolo Colon on September 8-14, 2003

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 2, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Cy Young 511-316, 2.63 ERA

Jon Garland 51-51, 4.53

Look out Denton, "Cy Garland" is hot on your trail.

Big props to the big man, keep it up!

:sleep

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Cy Young 511-316, 2.63 ERA

Jon Garland 51-51, 4.53

Look out Denton, "Cy Garland" is hot on your trail.

Big props to the big man, keep it up!

Damn dude, don't take s*** so literal.

And relax.

Let us have our fun while Garland has torn the AL a new one.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 2, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
Damn dude, don't take s*** so literal.

And relax.

Let us have our fun while Garland has torn the AL a new one.

You got it all wrong.

I'm a Garland backer, check out the post history, it's there. In fact, I was the first to argue he turned the corner this season. (Wait, wait, before you even start MoS, I know you're his biggest fan and you've always loved him and he's the best thing since sliced bread; I'm referring to this season).

That said, "Cy Garland?" :headshake Before you know it, we'll have "We Got Wood" shirts and we'll start blowing up baseballs.

Oh, another thing: rest assured, I'm quite relaxed.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 2, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
You got it all wrong. 

I'm a Garland backer, check out the post history, it's there.  In fact, I was the first to argue he turned the corner this season.  (Wait, wait, before you even start MoS, I know you're his biggest fan and you've always loved him and he's the best thing since sliced bread; I'm referring to this season).

That said, "Cy Garland?" :headshake  Before you know it, we'll have "We Got Wood" shirts and we'll start blowing up baseballs.

Oh, another thing: rest assured, I'm quite relaxed.

Kong, ARow, Gooch, MB, El Duque, Jurassic?

I guess we better can all those too right