Konerko contract year....want him back?

Hey guys, I'm new...just stumbled onto this place today....seems like a really cool forum. Been looking for a place like this for a longtime online. Glad it exists.

anyway, as my first post I want to know whether you would want Konerko back if he hits something like just .250 but has the power numbers (40+ home runs)....is this enough offense from your first baseman? Also, is his value after this season going to be overrated or underrated with a season like that?

I think the best way is to wait and see right now. See what Pauly does once he gets back in his groove and most importantly see how much money he is demanding.

EDIT: Where are my manners? Welcome aboard :cheers

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
I think the best way is to wait and see right now.  See what Pauly does once he gets back in his groove and most importantly see how much money he is demanding.

I totally agree...I'm actually surprised it hasn't really come up in terms of on the local radio shows and whatnot....usually this stuff is the talk of the town in a player's FA year....especially a big time impact player like Konerko.

I'm hoping for a great season from him...I'm also hoping he'll be back somehow

I haven't looked, but I think the best FA 1B-Man besides him is Erubial Durazo. Meaning, if he hits the market, he might just be the best FA 1B-Man out there...

I hope to talk about this topic on my blog as the midseason approaches -- it's a topic I've wanted to talk about, but I really don't think it's appropriate at this time.

Edited by CWSGuy406

Koney is still only 29 years old, and IMO has quite a few productive years in front of him. Not sure what type of deal we are gonna be looking at, but I think KW and JR will make an honest attempt to keep him here.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
I totally agree...I'm actually surprised it hasn't really come up in terms of on the local radio shows and whatnot....usually this stuff is the talk of the town in a player's FA year....especially a big time impact player like Konerko.

I'm hoping for a great season from him...I'm also hoping he'll be back somehow

last april and may all everyone talked about was Ordonez' contract situation....why is this not appropriate to talk about now in comparison?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Welcome to the board Hideaway Lights! :cheers

Aboz and I were talking about Kong yesterday, and we agreed we wouldn't mind seeing him come back.  However, Konerko shouldn't get more than 3 years/$24M.

Thanks! That seems about right money-wise.

Welcome to soxtalk, you came to the right place. I personally don't want to see Konerko brought back. I just don't think he's the type of consistent threat to build your offense around. I would be more in favor of a short term-one year solution at first. Konerko has a lot of fans around here so I think the majority of people want to see him back but people were hoping he was the one traded in November. Just too many bad at-bats with ducks on the pond for me

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 3, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
It's really too bad the really good crop of free agents are two years away.

Hence why I think if Koney leaves (if the Yanks over him more than 10 mill, I think that will happen), it's good to try a sign a stopgap like J.T Snow, Doug Mientkiewicz or Kevin Millar for 1 season. Then at the end of 2006, the Sox have a lot of flexibility. They can move Josh Fields to 1st, if Joe Crede continues to perform well, they can call up Casey Rogowski and use him in a platoon situation with Ross Gload possibly, or they can go for a major free agent when there are quite a few available.

Oh and welcome aboard Hideaway Lights. :cheers

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
They can move Josh Fields to 1st, if Joe Crede continues to perform well, they can call up Casey Rogowski and use him in a platoon situation with Ross Gload possibly, or they can go for a major free agent when there are quite a few available.

Oh and welcome aboard Hideaway Lights.  :cheers

This is exactly what I was just thinking. Move Fields to first if Crede has a breakout season. I'm still not one of Gload's Gang, but he's not a bad backup. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Will the chronic hip problem be a factor as it was with Black Jack's FA market? It's probably not as important but if you are going to sign a long term deal (more than 4 years) it should be consideration.

Welcome :cheers :cheers

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
Millar hasn't homered yet this year and he's not very good at first but he'd be a fun guy to have around here and could come up with some big hits

He was with the Kane County Cougars when I was there. He is a great guy. Did you know he is is not part of the union because he crossed the line during the strike.

Welcome!

I'd like to see him back. $24 mil over 3 years is as good as saying you really don't want him back. I'd be happy to see $9 odd per over 3 years -- though we'll see if that happens. We still need some pop -- best make sure you have it elsewhere, if we don't keep PK. Everett and Frank are not sure things either, you know.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 3, 2005 -> 03:50 AM)
last april and may all everyone talked about was Ordonez' contract situation....why is this not appropriate to talk about now in comparison?

Don't get me wrong -- I'm all about talking about the offseason. Funny, I b**** in the offseason how I miss the regular season, yet in the regular season, all I want to talk about is the offseason... :banghead

Anyways, I love Konerko, but I really think he might ask for over eight million per season -- which, IMHO, is too much. I guess, I should also say that I'm a fan of Thomas staying here as the DH, too. I just think that Konerko is going to be one of the better hitting free agents out there, and might be able to ask for (and get) eight digits from someone.

As far as replacements -- Cheat mentioned one in another thread, his name is Ryan Howard. He's a first-basemen who's blocked by Thome. He put up a career .373 OBP in the minors and a .901 OPS. He's a lefty, too; don't know much about his defense, though. I figure that Philly is always wanting pitching, so hopefully Contreras is able to have a pretty good year. 'Cause I think some teams might come knockin' if he does.

Another guy I like is Durazo, the DH for Oakland. Oakland fans have said that he's really not a good firstbaseman, but he has a career 129 OPS+. Oakland probably isn't going to resign him (or so I've heard), and I'd love to see he and Thomas in the middle of our lineup -- two OBP machines hitting third and fourth would be excellent. Like I said, if he's that much of a butcher defensively at first, then it's dumb that I even brought it up...

The last couple are just guys that I've had my eye on for awhile. Nick Johnson and Aubrey Huff are guys that I've liked. Unfortunately, Johnson's been oft-injured, so he hasn't really gotten a chance in a full season to show himself, and Aubrey Huff -- well, I just like him a whole lot. The past three seasons, he's put up OPS+ of 132, 139, and 124. He's another option who I like a lot -- and will probably take a lot to get. But, call me crazy, I'd probably give up Anderson to get him. Not Sweeney or McCarthy, but Huff is just about a budding star...

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Welcome to the board Hideaway Lights! :cheers

Aboz and I were talking about Kong yesterday, and we agreed we wouldn't mind seeing him come back.  However, Konerko shouldn't get more than 3 years/$24M.

Kong has had some awesome years with us so far and I think this one will be another one. A 1 month slump does not a season make. Hopefully him and DEAD can get their act together and put up some big numbers for us.

Howard is supposed to be a subpar defender but not exactly a butcher though. I don't know what they will do with him. He just keeps getting a year older and they tried him in the outfield where he wasn't good (there is no room there either). THe easy spolution is to trade him at the deadline but if they aren't in contention, what would they do? Can't really move Thome

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:03 PM)
  But, call me crazy, I'd probably give up Anderson to get him.  Not Sweeney or McCarthy, but Huff is just about a budding star...

I'd give up Anderson up in a heartbeat to get Huff, Aubrey's a freakin stud, period.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 3, 2005 -> 04:03 AM)
As far as replacements -- Cheat mentioned one in another thread, his name is Ryan Howard.  He's a first-basemen who's blocked by Thome.  He put up a career .373 OBP in the minors and a .901 OPS.  He's a lefty, too; don't know much about his defense, though.  I figure that Philly is always wanting pitching, so hopefully Contreras is able to have a pretty good year.  'Cause I think some teams might come knockin' if he does.

Not the Phils, though. From what I've read, they are very high on Howard. They're dumb with relief pitchers, not so dumb with starters. Go figure.

Craig wilson would be awesome here. He has better numbers than konerko ( talking slugging, ops, and comparable homerun power, he even is a higher oobp guy? and would be half the cost. But he is two years down the road, damnit.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 3, 2005 -> 04:20 AM)
Dont the reds want to trade Sean Casey.... Because I think he would be a perfect guy for us, good hitter and is a lefty.

They just extended him in the offseason. I've heard they're pushing Wily Mo Pena. Despite the power, no thank you.