Konerko contract year....want him back?

Hideaway Lights

I'd like to see them keep him, but he could probably demand similar money to Sexon or Glaus, which is way too much in my opinion. I'd say 3/$27 mil tops. He's just not an elite 1B, so I wouldn't pay him any more than that. The problem is that there aren't a whole lot of great options on the FA market. I don't remember exactly who's a FA, but there weren't a whole lot of stellar options, so the money we'd save wouldn't be that big a factor.

I wouldnt even give him 9 million a year for 3 years.... Can he hit some HR's sure but a lot of it is a product of playing in the Cell as shown in his horrible road stats last year and his horrible year overall b4 that. If you going to pay a guy 9 million he should show up for more than 81 games.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:03 PM)
Another guy I like is Durazo, the DH for Oakland.  Oakland fans have said that he's really not a good firstbaseman, but he has a career 129 OPS+.  Oakland probably isn't going to resign him (or so I've heard), and I'd love to see he and Thomas in the middle of our lineup -- two OBP machines hitting third and fourth would be excellent.  Like I said, if he's that much of a butcher defensively at first, then it's dumb that I even brought it up...

IIRC, the reason Arizona moved Durazo was because he kept getting injured at 1B...so maybe having a Thomas/Durazo 1B/DH platoon is not so hawt.

I wanted to see them trade him in the off-season, when his value was high. That being said, I'm not all that concerned about bringing him back next year. There are so many first basemen out there...including several on our own team. Gload could definately be an everyday player there.

Guest JimH
Ryan Howard.  He's a first-basemen who's blocked by Thome.  He put up a career .373 OBP in the minors and a .901 OPS.  He's a lefty, too; don't know much about his defense, though.

Would love to see the White Sox get this guy. This is his last option year so Philly will have to do something with him. Howard has monster power.

I agree - I'd try to acquire Ryan Howard. Cheaper and likely to be about 90% as good as Konerko, and the way it is going, he'd likely not be eligible for free agency until he is 31...meaning the Sox get all of his prime years.

In addition, Howard is a lefty hitter, which would add some much needed balance to the lineup.

I'm all for acquiring Howard by any means necessary and letting Paulie walk after the season. I love Paulie, but unless he's willing to take $7-$8 million per year, the $10 million per he is going to demand could be better spent elsewhere.

Guest JimH
I agree - I'd try to acquire Ryan Howard.  Cheaper and likely to be about 90% as good as Konerko, and the way it is going, he'd likely not be eligible for free agency until he is 31...meaning the Sox get all of his prime years.

In addition, Howard is a lefty hitter, which would add some much needed balance to the lineup.

I'm all for acquiring Howard by any means necessary and letting Paulie walk after the season.  I love Paulie, but unless he's willing to take $7-$8 million per year, the $10 million per he is going to demand could be better spent elsewhere.

Interesting thoughts.

Normally the White Sox plan is pretty clear in terms of succession. Example, acquiring Uribe with Valentin having one year left on his contract.

One thing we do know, KW really likes Konerko, if we take stock in KW's public statements. The team chemistry appears good and a guy like Konerko has got to be a big part of it, since he's been around for a while.

The closest thing the Sox have to an in house successor is Casey Rogowski and Casey isn't close to being Paul Konerko. 1B is a power position and if they can't get it done w/Konerko, I can see them going hard after a guy like Howard. By all accounts Howard has nothing left to prove at AAA.

If I were a betting man though, I would bet they'll extend Konerko.

I'd hate to see us lose Konerko but we can't afford to pay him $10 million per year. I'm not convinced that he'll find that kind of money on the open market. If he hits 40 HR's and drives in 120 runs maybe but good hitting first baseman are not in that high of a demand.

I hope he's back next year at 25 million over 3 years.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 3, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
If the Sox can't or won't resign Konerko... I would love to see the Sox somehow try to get Overbay...anyone know Overbay's contract status??

Now this is a scenario I definitely would like to consider, because the Brewers have Prince Fielder ready and waiting in 2006, and he's going to be a good one. That said, Overbay is one hell of a player (.355/.484/.645) and Milwaulkee will demand a king's ransom for him. Look at some more of his stats as well;

BB - 18

K - 13

HR - 5

RBI - 16

This is tough because in terms of raw numbers, we could get someone to replace Konerko. However, I believe Paulie is a big part of this team's success and chemistry.

Konerko is the face of this team and probably the biggest fan favorite. That should not be overlooked.

Granted, with runners on first and second and one out, we all are thinking double play. It's almost a given.

That said, I think he should be resigned if they can get him for under $10 million per.

Lyle Overbay: deal for 2005 season worth 446K was renewed on 2/23/05 Agent: Steve Hilliard

I got this off mlb4u.com

I'm not sure on his time of service though, don't you need like 6 years before you can become a free agent?

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 2, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
Hey guys, I'm new...just stumbled onto this place today....seems like a really cool forum. Been looking for a place like this for a longtime online. Glad it exists.

anyway, as my first post I want to know whether you would want Konerko back if he hits something like just .250 but has the power numbers (40+ home runs)....is this enough offense from your first baseman? Also, is his value after this season going to be overrated or underrated with a season like that?

Depends on the contract he wants, but personally I'm more of a fan of average and if Paulie only hits .250 I will not consider it a worthwhile investment (assuming he gets 10 mill plus).

However if Paulie puts up similar numbers to last year, I think it would be quite wise to bring him back, especially since he's becoming one of the teams most popular players and a very marketable one at that.

Welcome Aboard :cheers

Welcome :cheers: Konerko is an above average defender, hitter, with great power. What's that worth?

He's a Cell player if ever there was one.

Home 779AB .286A .364O .528S

Road 798AB .263A .323O .440S

At best he's above average on the road & good at home.

Compare him to another $8M 1B: Dmitri Young.

Home 605AB .273A .335O .461S

Road 547AB .302A .371O .552S

He's near great on the road & near good at home.

Ah, but then there's the HR's. As bad as Koney has been in April he still is on a 40HR pace for 2005. Young is on a 30HR pace. On the open market the back-to-back 40HR seasons will earn Koney a JD Drew & Sexson like contract for no less than 5 yrs. I think that's out of the Sox price range.

It makes no sense for Koney to sign a 3 yr deal with the Sox for less money per yr when he will get more $ & more yrs elsewhere.

So the next question is do you trade him if Thomas is hitting before the deadline? I think a lot of this depends on what are your options at 1B.

Can Dye or Everett play 1B? Both are agile big men with OF arms.

Dye is signed through 2006 & you have an option yr with Everett.

Keeping good talent w/out a long term contract is the way to go.

You keep Thomas because at his age he's likely to sign an incentive ladden contract extension with a low base for 3 yrs. Any more than that will be option yrs. If his health & performance are MVP level he'll likely cost more than Koney would in that year. If not he's sure to make less.

Thomas offers nothing in the field but he's a great hitter at home & a near good hitter on the road.

Home 669AB .274A .398O .632S

Road 640AB .250A .377O .416S

It's his OBP that is most impressive. Among the league's best. It's not easy being a DH.

With a contract extension Thomas should cost the Sox less than Ortiz will cost Boston.

Home 733AB .310A .386O .569S

Road 709AB .267A .343O .571S

I'm just glad Minny's cheap ;)

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

One interesting possibility with Konerko is Philadelphia. Thome is likely to go on the DL & the heavy hitter Ryan Howard has been asking to be traded.

The reason is obvious: Thome is blocking his way & his contract gives Phi little movement to trade him. Either they release Thome & eat his contract or Thome retires. That's the only way Ryan would be allowed to play everyday.

Which might make Konerko more attractive to Philly right now. They won't trade Ryan to rent Koney but that might provide a basis for such a trade.

It comes down to what is Ryan really worth.

Is there somewhere to look for the potential free agents at the end of the year? I know it's weak group, but I have no idea who was in it. I think What we would do with the money would be a major factor as to whether or not we cough up a little extra for Paulie. A young, cheap replacement with a high ceiling would be nice, then maybe add an impact reliever to use as a closer.

I would imagine that the asking price for Overbay would be nuts, probably one of Sweeney/Anderson/McCarthy and another solid prospect at the minimum.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I kind of think the price for Overbay has been overstated. Not many teams need a first baseman and those who do wan tmore pop at first than Lyle gives you. Not saying he's a guy I wouldn't love to have but I don't think there would be many suitors. It might be just us and Boston although I expect them to be in on Mike Sweeney