Gordon Wins 6th Man Award

Gordon to be first rookie to win award

The Bulls' Ben Gordon has won the NBA's Sixth Man Award today, according to various reports, making him the first rookie to win the award in its 22-year history.

"It would be a big accomplishment," Gordon told The Chicago Tribune, speaking without knowledge of the results Monday. "To win a prestigious award like that would be a great way to start off my career."

It's believed that Gordon beat out Boston's Ricky Davis despite Davis having a greater scoring average and field-goal percentage. Davis also has a better defensive reputation.

"I don't want to make this an injustice thing, because Ben Gordon had a great year," Doc Rivers told the Boston Herald for Tuesday's editions. "I mean, it's close. But I do think Ricky deserved the award. I think Ben Gordon deserves it, as well, but I do think Ben Gordon's image had to help more than Ricky's.

"But the bottom line offensively is that Ricky's numbers were better," Rivers told the Herald. "His field-goal percentage was higher [.462 to .411]. His scoring average was higher [16.0 to 15.1]. I mean, everything was higher. And then when you factor in that Ricky was not only our most important guy off the bench offensively, he was our most important guy defensively, that makes a strong case for Ricky.

"But, listen, if he does it again he'll win it next year."

Gordon will be the second Bulls player to win the award. Toni Kukoc won it after the 1995-96 season.

While Charlotte's Emeka Okafor or Orlando's Dwight Howard is expected to win the Rookie of the Year award that will be handed out Wednesday, Gordon's teammates were happy to hear he'll take home some hardware.

"He deserves to win both of them," Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich told the Tribune. "I'm definitely happy he won at least one of them. I don't know how many rookies can come into the league with that kind of impact. Nobody can say that he doesn't deserve it, because he does."