SI: Buehrle #2 young pitcher in baseball

Balta1701

CNN.com/Sports Illustrated have a piece up of the "20 best young pitchers in baseball."

# 2 is our very own Mark Buehrle Here's what they have to say about him...

"Mark Buehrle, 26, White Sox

Season: 3-1, 3.89, K/BB: 25-9

Career: 72-46, 3.76, K/BB: 606-249

The White Sox's underrated workhorse already has four seasons of 200-plus innings under his belt. That's pretty good for a 38th round draft pick."

Their #1 pitcher is Santana, as you probably expected, but I took some joy in the fact that they ranked Buehrle higher than Zambrano or Prior.

John Garland was ranked #13.

Seems like the people making the list prefer results over potential. Zito is the only guy a little out of place based on results, and he's kind of been in a slide the last few years. Peavy and Harden should both probably be higher. Willis at 8 is BS, Garland is probably too high also.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ May 3, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
Interesting to see Greinke is not on the list but Garland, Myers, Marquis, Bedard, Bonderman, Cliff Lee and Jeff Francis (?) are.

Francis tore up the minor leagues last year and made his debut in September as a 40 man callup. He is a rookie this year.

I love Mark, but there is no way he should rank higher than Sheets, Zambrano, Peavy, Beckett, and Prior.

I noticed that the cut-off point is 26 years of age. Extending it to 27 would have been smart, what with Roy Oswalt, Roy Halladay, Mark Mulder, and Odalis Perez.

Cliff Lee? That's pretty funny. How are you gonna put that guy ahead of people like Brad Penny, Joel Pineiro, Zack Greinke, and even some of the new jacks like Scott Kazmir, Gustavo Chacin, and Dan Haren?

#14 Overall Brett Myers had a 5.50 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP last year. I don't care how home run happy Citizens Bank Park is. He had a 5.33 ERA and a 1.54 WHIP on the road. He's got a ton of potential, but he ain't no Top 15.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 4, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
I love Mark, but there is no way he should rank higher than Sheets, Zambrano, Peavy, Beckett, and Prior. 

I noticed that the cut-off point is 26 years of age.  Extending it to 27 would have been smart, what with Roy Oswalt, Roy Halladay, Mark Mulder, and Odalis Perez.

Cliff Lee?  That's pretty funny.  How are you gonna put that guy ahead of people like Brad Penny, Joel Pineiro, Zack Greinke, and even some of the new jacks like Scott Kazmir, Gustavo Chacin, and Dan Haren?

#14 Overall Brett Myers had a 5.50 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP last year.  I don't care how home run happy Citizens Bank Park is.  He had a 5.33 ERA and a 1.54 WHIP on the road.  He's got a ton of potential, but he ain't no Top 15.

Sheets had an era+ of over 100 zero times up until last year. Buehrle has done it every year of his career. Better career era than peavy ( who i admit is f***ing awesome to watch pitch and should be very very high on this list.) and also higher than beckett. Zambrano is not liked much by white sox fans because he is on the cubs and the fact he is crazy, but he is the best pitcher in chicago if used properly.

Perez has a career 102 era+ because a 4.00 career era @ dodgers stadium is not overly impressive at all. He is also very inconsistent. You don't know what you are gonna get from him year in year out. Penny has not been overally impressive throughout his career but i think we will see him in the 3.30 era range this year ( if healthy). Pineiro also needs to stay healthy because if he does he is at the very top of the list of ''young pitchers''

Grienke not being on the list is moronic.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 4, 2005 -> 06:04 AM)
Perez has a career 102 era+ because a 4.00 career era @ dodgers stadium is not overly impressive at all. He is also very inconsistent. You don't know what you are gonna get from him year in year out. Penny has not been overally impressive throughout his career but i think we will see him in the 3.30 era range this year ( if healthy). Pineiro also needs to stay healthy because if he does he is at the very top of the list of ''young pitchers''

Grienke not being on the list is moronic.

Odalis definitely sucked in 2003, but I think that he's finally started to turn the corner in terms of consistency.

2004:

196 IP

3.25 ERA

1.14 WHIP

2005:

30 IP

3.64 ERA

1.08 WHIP

In 2004, he kept his ERA at 3.75 or better against every team that he went up against other than Anaheim, Montreal, and San Diego (5 starts combined).

But you never know, he could get hammered this summer if he reverts back to his 2003 form.

EDIT: 4.50 ERA against the Diamondbacks in 4 starts.

2004 road numbers

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 4, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
I believe that Peavy is one fot he two best pitchers in the game with Johna being ht eother. You can't argue against Myers unless you argue against Garland. Both were beneath their potential until great starts this year

Peavy and Santana. That's hard to disagree with.

So I won't try. :)

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 4, 2005 -> 12:04 AM)
Zambrano is not liked much by white sox fans because he is on the cubs and the fact he is crazy, but he is the best pitcher in chicago if used properly.

I know I would take Zambrano on the sox staff in a heart beat (though i'd give him some pills to chill him out first :rolly )

It's weird because Zambrano, much like Wood and Prior, is clearly more talented than Buehrle but I'd take Buehrle over Zambrano because I'd know what I'm getting. I still believe int he stats that show injuries for pitchers with rapid increases in pitch count slike Carlos'., Not sure if it;s applicable a few years after the increase but I wouldn't trust his arm with Dusty's care. I do love Mark though and hope he's a White Sox pitcher for a very long time. I'd actually have no problem with signing him to a 5-6 year deal as a huge exception to managements policy. THis of course wouldn't need to be done for a few years

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 4, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
It's weird because Zambrano, much like Wood and Prior, is clearly more talented than Buehrle but I'd take Buehrle over Zambrano because I'd know what I'm getting. I still believe int he stats that show injuries for pitchers with rapid increases in pitch count slike Carlos'., Not sure if it;s applicable a few years after the increase but I wouldn't trust his arm with Dusty's care. I do love Mark though and hope he's a White Sox pitcher for a very long time. I'd actually have no problem with signing him to a 5-6 year deal as a huge exception to managements policy. THis of course wouldn't need to be done for a few years

Well I would never take Zambrano over Buherle but I would love a rotation with Zambrano in it...

Buherle

Garcia

Zambrano

Garland

Hernandez

*Drools*

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 4, 2005 -> 07:05 AM)
You can't argue against Myers unless you argue against Garland. Both were beneath their potential until great starts this year

I hear that, but Myers performed at a level waaay below his potential last year with the second worst ERA in the major leagues among guys who threw at least 150 innings. You can begin to understand why I'd object to his presence in a Top 15 list.