Greatest 2 minutes in sports

Posts are drawn wednesday afternoon... I'll have my pick ready by friday morning... as always I also try to pick a horse to show.. derby payouts are usually pretty good ..with the longer shots coming in ... but who knows.. ??? .. that's why they run the race.... stock up on the Early Times and mint sprigs and get ready to sing "My Ole Kentucky Home"..... http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2005/

the following are the lyrics to "My Old Kentucky Home" I actually learned a little while I was searching for this... I've always known the lyrics to be "inappropriate" or politically incorrect... it was written in 1853. What I didn't know was Stephen Foster was a staunch abolishinist (sp?). 1853 was a tricky time in Kentucky 'cause they were considered a "border state", but they did have slavery... ??? Also, My Old Kentucky Home still stands, the state bought it and made it a museum of sorts, the land is known as Federal Hill. And the state park is called "My Old Kentucky Home State Park. I learned that the slaves that lived here were very skilled. They built the house (and it still stands!!!) ran a saw mill, farmed the fields, sewed clothes and made their own shoes, among other things. The owners of the plantation and the slaves were very gracious and the slaves lived relatively well ( as well as a slave could live, I guess). One of the later owners fathered a child with one of the house maids. To this day the african-american decendants hold a family reunion at federal hill, their white cousins haven't quite embraced the event yet, but feelings are softening... wow pretty cool stuff... all I wanted was the lyrics and I end up learning something... what a concept...

the lyrics... there will be a test friday night.. :D

Oh, the sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home,

'Tis summer, the darkies are gay.

The corn top's ripe and the meadows in the bloom,

While the birds make music all the day.

The young folks roll on the little cabin floor,

All merry, all happy and bright:

By'n by the Hard Times come a knocking at the door.

Then my old Kentucky home, goodnight!

Chorus:

Weep no more, my lady,

Oh, weep no more today!

We will sing one song for the old Kentucky home,

For the old Kentucky home, far away.

They hunt no more for the possum and the coon,

On the meadow, the hill and the shore,

They sing no more by the glimmer of the moon,

On the bench by the old cabin door.

The day goes by like a shadow o'er the heart,

With sorrow, where all was delight:

The time has come when the darkies have to part,

Then my old Kentucky home, good night!

Chorus:

The head must bow and the back will have to bend,

Wherever the darkey may go:

A few more days, and the trouble all will end,

In the field where the sugarcanes grow.

A few more days for to tote the weary load,

No matter, 'twill never be light,

A few more days till we totter on the road,

Then my old Kentucky home good night!

Chorus:

having trouble sorting through the horses... seems that the press is all over bellamy road.. he looks like a great horse... but I have some reservations about taking a horse the press loves so much... then I looked at who owns Bellamy road... hey George Steinbrenner owns Bellamy Road.. which would explain the media love for this horse... it looks like a solid mount... I just NEVER take a favorite in the derby... smarty jones last year was a fav... then fusili pegasus(sp?) in 2000 and before that ???? it has been a while since a favorite won... interesting that there are no foreign horses... I wonder if this has to do with the sheik that passed away a few years back... or if they finally realized that horses don't like boats or planes and never race the same after they come across the pond...

here's my pick... some notes of disclaimer... although I think I know alot about horses, there is alot I don't know... the last derby winner I had was Real Quiet and Lil E Tee before that... so don't risk too much $$$ on my picks... on to the pick... after sifting thru the ballemy road love I've chosen a long-shot... GREELEY"S GALAXY... bellemy road and bandini have posts next to each other so I'm hoping they distract each other and become non-factors... Greeley's Galaxy has been working out poorly, I attribute that to learning a new track, and I'm hoping by Saturday he feels more comfortable... I also like santa anita derby winner, Buzzards Bay... but, he didn't arrive till wednesday so officially my call is Greeley's Galaxy to win... Buzzards Bay to place... I would bet zito's coupling if there is one , but only to show... ( trainers who have more than one horse in a race often get "coupled"... kind of like a field bet, where you get more than one horse...) Noble causeway looks good and I would bet him to show especially if he is coupled...

in closing... 1st Greeley's Galaxy

2nd Buzzards Bay

3rd Noble Causeway

Gambling Problem??? :huh

The more I look things over, the more I like Bandini. Greeley's Galaxy is an intriguing choice, though, since he's the only supplemental nomination in the race. Obviously, the owners have a lot of confidence in him, and he's been steadlily improving.

Bandini, High Fly, and Andromeda's Hero might be the ones.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 4, 2005 -> 02:34 AM)
The best INFIELD in sports, no doubt.

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang

Went to the 1991 Derby with Strike the Gold taking the title...... I never saw a live the whole day. None. Watched the whole thing on tv screens in the infield. That was one hell of a party, I might add. LOL

I'm haven't bet horses in a long time, so I won't even attempt to try and guess the top three. But look for either High Fly or Sun King to AT LEAST show.

The Kentucky Derby is an awesome event. I would love to go back to it now that I am older and my focus is not squarely placed on the party. I don't want to exclude the party, just find a little balance......

When I went in 1991, it was a blast. The Derby is different in that some people are there in shorts and tee shirts looking to party and have a great time in the infield, while others are there in suits or a nice Sunday dress with a fancy wide brimmed hat. They all enter in the same gates, side by side. There was somewhat of a challenge to sneak alcohol in. There were police stationed at every gate to check people, coolers, etc. If they caught you, they laughed and tossed the alcohol into a huge dumpster just inside the gate. There was so much liquor in that dumpster it wasn't even funny.

We tried a few different methods with varying results. We cut a core out of a watermelon and then poured a bottle of vodka into it so it would soak in. We replaced the core, reattached it with pins and used clear fingernail polish to glaze over the lines. That worked and we had a nice spiked watermelon.

We also tried to sneak Jim Beam in, by poking a hole into Barq's Root Beer cans (near the bottom), dumping out the root beer, washing out the can and then funneling Beam into the cans filling them up. We then closed the hole with silver trailer tape hoping it would hold. It did, but there was one problem. When the police officer opened up the cooler (regular drinks were layered on top, including legit Barq's) he started fishing down in the ice. He pulled out one of the bogus Barq's and all would have been fine except for the pressure inside the can was different and the can seemed softer when he picked it up. He then found the tape and laughed his ass off as he brought over another office to go through the entire cooler. We lost 6 cans of Jim Beam in the process. lol