Closer

wsox08

Hey, I'm a newbie to the forum. I've been a Sox fan for the 18 years I've lived. This forum seems great.. Well, WHo do you think should be closer? I honestly would go with Hermanson.. As long as Shingo doesn't struggle it will be fine but I'm worried. :gosox1:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
Until tonight I would have said Dustin, based on this season.  But I think we just saw the realigning of the planets tonight with Shingo.

He was facing Kansas City. Let's not get carried away Michael. :P

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2005 -> 02:32 AM)
Until tonight I would have said Dustin, based on this season.  But I think we just saw the realigning of the planets tonight with Shingo.

Two good things from Shingo tonight:

1.)He kept the ball low.

2.)He got ahead in the counts ('cept for Berroa).

It's a must that he has those two things every night if he even wants any chance of succeeding. He was good tonight, but I still hope that Ozzie goes by the situational closer, rather than the set closer (like Mario has been saying). So far, I've generally liked how Oz has played the matchups.

It'd be really great if Shingo gets his act back together and can close like he did for most of last season. Otherwise, I have no problem with the committee approach that has been taken for about the last week or two.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 3, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
I am saying Shingo... the guy has some of the nastiest stuff...he just has to throw more strikes. He will be fine. Book it!!

Not just strikes. he HAS to work ahead of hitters to be effective.

Shinjo has some of the best movement on ALL of his pitches. Tailing movement on everything he throws, very hard to pick up on when he is on.

He is still my closer, with Hermanson there to spot fill in

I believe shingo's now had 3 straight 1-2-3 saves. He's looked much better and has been pretty effective as of late closing games out. Obviously there was that game against Detroit where he let up a run in the 11th, however it seems like almost every closer in baseball has trouble coming into a situation where the game is tied and not a save situation, that's really not a great excuse but it is true of a bunch of closers.

What would have happened to this forum if Shingo had blown this one run lead today and we had lost the game?

Ozzie showed lots of balls to put Shingo in there, trying to instill some confidence in his closer from last year.

But what if it had backfired.....I bet this forum would have "asploded" :P

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 3, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
What would have happened to this forum if Shingo had blown this one run lead today and we had lost the game?

Ozzie showed lots of balls to put Shingo in there, trying to instill some confidence in his closer from last year.

But what if it had backfired.....I bet this forum would have "asploded" :P

Maybe we better start accepting the idea that Ozzie may know more about baseball than all of us? :huh :huh

The commitee approach has worked thus far. Use them all, Marte, Shingo, Hermanson, etc......... Go with the match-ups, use Vizcaino or Politte one day if you have too, whatever wins the damn game.

Just for the record, I'm not down on Shingo yet. This guy is the career saves leader in Japan. He knows how to pitch, I think he'll work through this.

Shingo has demonstrated that he is a bit streaky in the past. Last year he couldn't get anyone out in spring training. When things started clicking for him, he was nearly unhittable. It's crazy to expect that kind of performance all the time. It's best that Ozzie is flexible and use everyone, then if Shingo goes on another roll, he's the man untill he isn't again.

QUOTE(wsox08 @ May 3, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
Hey, I'm a newbie to the forum. I've been a Sox fan for the 18 years I've lived. This forum seems great.. Well, WHo do you think should be closer? I honestly would go with Hermanson.. As long as Shingo doesn't struggle it will be fine but I'm worried. :gosox1:

I know this may come as a shock to some, but who says you have to have ONE pitcher designated to close out the ninth inning? Too much spontaneity and creativity is being taken out of the game. As for me, when Shingo takes the mound in the ninth I'm not as nervous as I was when one Billy Koch took the mound. But it's awful close.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 3, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
Two good things from Shingo tonight:

1.)He kept the ball low.

2.)He got ahead in the counts ('cept for Berroa).

It's a must that he has those two things every night if he even wants any chance of succeeding.  He was good tonight, but I still hope that Ozzie goes by the situational closer, rather than the set closer (like Mario has been saying).  So far, I've generally liked how Oz has played the matchups.

And heres a bad thing to go with that.

3) The only pitch he could throw for strikes was his fastball, again. They are going to sit on it and kill it.