kruk called us out.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 4, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
I still don't get why people were upset about that. I don't begrudge a guy for hanging it up and it's not like we were in the realm of contention

ok, if I remember correctly.... the sox gave this guy a chance. They played him although he was playing terrible. And if I remember right, just as he was getting better, he quit. I dont recall the exact details, but it cheesed me off on this guy.

Only my opinion

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rangercal @ May 3, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
I agree .  Everyone needs to stop getting offended about attendence threads. Its the f***ing truth! We need to support our 1st place team. 12,000 is f***ing pathetic.  If you're going to make excuses about why you can't go, then don't get mad when Frank , paulie and garland are in different unis in the near future.

So what section were you in tonight?

I believe this rant can be used for every one of these threads

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Ok i'm sick of these f***ing attendance threads, i really am.

-They are always started by people who never go, b****ing at some of the greatest white sox fans around, many of whom have season tickets anyway or go to games as often as possible.

-Only a couple thousand people read this message board, if that. You aren't even reaching your target audience, which are the complete bandwagon, "what do to tonight" people, who may take their buddies or family or what not.

-"I don't live in Chicago". Well then please, shut up already. Just because you aren't close enough to go doesn't mean you can b**** about others that are close enough to go. I don't know where you get this logic.

-I'm in freakin Champaign and i'm coming up tonight for the 2nd time this year, want to b**** at me for not getting to the games enough? Sorry i've got class and other commitments all the way in CHAMPAIGN. This is probly the case for a lot of people. Stop labeling some of the best fans on here with this attendance bulls***.

/end rant.

QUOTE(IndySoxFan @ May 4, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
ok, if I remember correctly.... the sox gave this guy a chance.  They played him although he was playing terrible. And if I remember right, just as he was getting better, he quit. I dont recall the exact details, but it cheesed me off on this guy.

Only my opinion

He signed with the Chicago White Sox in May 1995, but shot knees and a lost competitive spirit forced Kruk to call it quits after one memorable final at-bat. On July 30, 1995, after the portly ballplayer stroked a single off pitcher Scott Erickson of the Baltimore Orioles in the first inning, he simply said goodbye to his teammates in the dugout, and left Camden Yards with his family.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 3, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
Thank you.  I rest my case, people are going to the park more and more.  This team will surpass the attendance mark from last year and maybe pretty easily.  We averaged more in this years April then last years and the Yankees series was in April last year.  When the weather heats up the park will fill up more and we'll also start stealing some casual fans away from the urinal as we keep winning and the flubs don't.

Thats the big thing I think. Once the weather gets warm, the casual fans will start going to Sox games more if they are still winning. Switching up the half-price tuesdays really sucks though. Those were a blast last year.

You have to put things in the proper perspective. Yes, it's May, but it is unseasonably cold for May. I know that if I lived locally, there would be a limited number of games I could attend due to budgetary reasons. So, would I choose to sit in a frigid USCF against the worst team in baseball or wait two weeks and catch a game in somewhat balmier conditions?

Coin flip. Heads I wait. Tails I go tonight. Now, where the hell is my two headed coin?

Beyond Tonight

It was 42 degrees with 18-mile-per hour winds at game time in Chicago on Tuesday night and 12,362 fans paid for tickets to see the White Sox make a little history, setting a modern major league record by leading in their 26th straight game to start the season. John Kruk, who played a season in the Windy City, was disappointed. He "brought the heat" (no pun intended) on White Sox fans, criticizing them for not showing up to see the team with the best record in the American League.

"They couldn't wait to get me out of there," Kruk said with a laugh on Tuesday night's show. "Even if you got there late, you could have gotten a really good seat. There were maybe four to six thousand (people) there. It's a Tuesday night. You should still be there to support a first-place team. Show up! Give them something they need -- the help and support to win the division."

The next "Baseball Tonight" telecasts:

May 4 at 10 p.m. ET and May 5 at 12:20 a.m. ET with Karl Ravech, Peter Gammons, Harold Reynolds and John Kruk.

QUOTE(IndySoxFan @ May 4, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
ok, if I remember correctly.... the sox gave this guy a chance.  They played him although he was playing terrible. And if I remember right, just as he was getting better, he quit. I dont recall the exact details, but it cheesed me off on this guy.

Only my opinion

Hello, I'm new.

Anyways, Kruk has a .400 OBP that year, so he was far from terrible.

With regards to the empty seats, I've always been disappointed by the White Sox attendance. Perhaps I'm just spoiled because I go to school in Madison, WI (great sports town) and Camp Randall and the Kohl Center are always sold out. I just think that a team in a market as large as Chicago that has the best record in baseball would be selling more tickets. I guess the entire AL Central is pretty sad with attendance. The best attendance goes to the team with the worst ballpark (minnesota).

I graduate from UW-Madison in 2 weeks, after that I plan on coming down a couple weekends for some games.

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ May 4, 2005 -> 04:08 AM)
Hello, I'm new.

With regards to the empty seats, I've always been disappointed by the White Sox attendance.  Perhaps I'm just spoiled because I go to school in Madison, WI (great sports town) and Camp Randall and the Kohl Center are always sold out.  I just think that a team in a market as large as Chicago that has the best record in baseball would be selling more tickets. I guess the entire AL Central is pretty sad with attendance.  The best attendance goes to the team with the worst ballpark (minnesota).

I graduate from UW-Madison in 2 weeks, after that I plan on coming down a couple weekends for some games.

Welcome to Soxtalk, SHAFTR! :cheers

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ May 4, 2005 -> 05:53 AM)
And where did you come up with the $65 mil? I had always known it to end up closer to $70-71 mil

Give or take a million it was within 65. I actually believe $64,615,141 is the most accurate.

http://www.athleticsnation.com/story/2004/12/27/201439/06

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1778397

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/base....comparison.ap/

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ May 4, 2005 -> 04:08 AM)
Hello, I'm new.

With regards to the empty seats, I've always been disappointed by the White Sox attendance.  Perhaps I'm just spoiled because I go to school in Madison, WI (great sports town) and Camp Randall and the Kohl Center are always sold out.  I just think that a team in a market as large as Chicago that has the best record in baseball would be selling more tickets. I guess the entire AL Central is pretty sad with attendance.  The best attendance goes to the team with the worst ballpark (minnesota).

Hell yea, Go Badgers!!! Even our hockey games sell more tickets than we did last night! But of course, according to SI we are the #1 College Sports Town (take that Illinois)

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 4, 2005 -> 12:05 AM)
Almost ten million exactly. We are currently 13th i believe in pay roll.

And it has increased $25 million in two years, from $51 million in 2003. That is a 50% increase for those who are keeping score at home. I would venture to guess that the Sox have probably had the highest percentage increase the last two year in payroll, in all of baseball.

The attendance threads get so damned annoying because it is never the people who go to games who complain. If Quick, or Jim, or Steff, who puts up $10,000 a year wanted to complain about attendance I might care. Those guys put their money where their mouths are. The people who start these threads always have an excuse not to be there... I'm in school, I don't have any money, its too cold, KC sucks. There is always something. And it is hypocracy as far as I am concerned. Who is a guy sitting at home on his computer during a game, to lecture everyone else at home on a computer during a game, about getting out to to a game.

And seriously anyone who expected a big attendance night for the Kansas City Royals (the WORST team in baseball by far) on a Tuesday night with the temps near freezing and the winds off of the Lake is delusional. Completely delusional.

The White Sox just had their highest April attendance since 1994, and that is minus having any legitimate drawing team come to Chicago. People ARE coming to the ballpark. To harp on one night is to point out one night that Ichiro goes ohfer and wonder why he isn't hitting. It ignores the bigger trend and the realities of what is really going on. And I am sick of that too. Be a smarter fan than that. Know your facts if you are going to get into this discussion.

I don't even want to hear the excuses here of why us fans are not going to games. I been 5 games already this season and went to about 50 in 2000. You wanna know people's perspective from 2000 till now is nothing has changed at all. I even remember reading an article in espn magazine telling us fans go cheer them on and yeah guess what the same type of crowd attendance at last night's game was the same througout the 2000 season. I don't care if you don't like Kruk or not but time realize that fans never go to our stadium and fill it up. I been very disappointed with fan attendance for along time and ever since the strike our fans have left and never came back. We need realize that this team is playing good baseball and making history as well. Go out and support them for the credit they deserve on the field. Also, april mid 70's weather which yeah was great out I still saw 12,000 going to game and no their was no excuse there. Go out and support because I know I am going too and giving them all the credit they deserve.

Gosh this whole attendance issue is old as hell. First off a big portion of Sox fans are in college (myself included) its finals week this week and next week. I don't think many fans are going to ditch there studying to go see the Sox beat the Royals in sub-40 degree weather. Once May 13th hits (most colleges and universities will be done) you'll see a HUGE increase in attendace, esspecially if they continue to play this well. Not to mention it will be warmer outside. I think the overall attendance will be right up there with the biggest attendance years in the New Comiskey Park history.

Last night watching the game I almost cringed ahead of time knowing that we were going to get ripped for attendance. We just need to get through this series and things will be better. Funny thing is last night might be the best crowd we get all series. Tonight there might be more employees and players at the Cell than fans. No discounts, Bulls game, Wednesday in early May ... we should draw only our season ticket base.

In any case, we should be fine once the Orioles series starts. Kruk even called the people at Camden Yard out as well.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 3, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
Yeah, maybe if it was the weekend...

Seriously though, make-or-break this weekend.  No excuses.  Let's get out there and support this damn team.

This weekend eh...?? :rolly

No thanks. I'm not going to Comiskey this weekend...

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ May 4, 2005 -> 06:47 AM)
I don't even want to hear the excuses here of why us fans are not going to games. I been 5 games already this season and went to about 50 in 2000. You wanna know people's perspective from 2000 till now is nothing has changed at all. I even remember reading an article in espn magazine telling us fans go cheer them on and yeah guess what the same type of crowd attendance at last night's game was the same througout the 2000 season. I don't care if you don't like Kruk or not but time realize that fans never go to our stadium and fill it up. I been very disappointed with fan attendance for along time and ever since the strike our fans have left and never came back.  We need realize that this team is playing good baseball and making history as well. Go out and support them for the credit they deserve on the field. Also, april mid 70's  weather which yeah was great out I still saw 12,000 going to game and no their was no excuse there. Go out and support because I know I am going too and giving them all the credit  they deserve.

I really dont understand why these soapbox attendance posts keep showing up on sox SUPER FAN message board...Im pretty sure the majority of the regulars on this site attend as many games as they can possible schedule and afford. Your preaching to the choir.

For example, last night i 'bought' two tix from quickman (thanx for the that dawg) gave them away to my sister and brother-in-law (who would never attend a game usually) and then drove up w/ three friends and bought four more tix...so I cant do anymore than that...these posts over this MEDIA make no sense.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 4, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
The Bears draw fans in worse weather.

Tex I'm not even going to go there. There is no way you can compare the NFL to the MLB whatsoever.