Hawk to the DL

Wedge

Detached retina to sideline Harrelson

By Teddy Greenstein

Tribune staff reporter

May 3, 2005, 8:09 PM CDT

Like a batter who has been sizzling at the plate, Hawk Harrelson does not want to miss a game. Not with the White Sox off to the best start in baseball.

But Harrelson has no choice. The Sox's television play-by-play man will have surgery Wednesday to repair a detached retina in his right eye, forcing him to miss the final two games of the Sox's homestand and their six-game trip to Toronto and Tampa Bay.

The Sox have yet to announce who will fill in for Harrelson, 63, who has had trouble with his eyes before.

After the 2003 season, Harrelson was taking a golf lesson when he started to see dark spots and his left eye began to fill with blood. He had surgery the next morning to fix that detached retina.

Last season he had cataract surgery twice but didn't miss a game. This surgery is more serious, though.

Harrelson said his eye problems likely stem from his days as a club boxer in his hometown of Savannah, Ga.

"The doctors asked me if I ever got hit hard," he said. "I told them I got knocked [down] a lot of times. That's probably what loosened them up. But people have sneezed hard and gotten a detached retina."

Harrelson will not be permitted to fly for some time after the surgery because doctors will place a gas bubble in the eye cavity to protect the retina.

"If you go on a plane and the bubble pops, the retina goes with it," Harrelson said.

Harrelson is confident the surgery will go well, as the problem was detected so early. But he probably won't want to return to the booth until his vision is restored completely.

"Maybe I can switch to radio and make it up," he joked.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ May 4, 2005 -> 02:41 AM)
Steve Stone anyone?

I'd love that. I think Stone would be great for DJ. DJ could talk, but I think, for whatever reason, he'd be a little more comfortable with Stone.

Probably a pipe dream, but it's a nice thought.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ May 3, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
I've had the feeling that they were letting DJ do some play by play for a reason TBH. I have a fear that they are setting DJ up for when Hawk quits one day...now thats a scary thought.

Hopefully Dave Wills comes back here then.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 3, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Robin Ventura....

He did some ST games, right?

DJ and Robin = horrible television.

Robin would say nothing and DJ would just be babbling to himself the whole time.

QUOTE(MinnesotaSoxFan @ May 3, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
wimpy...

Pipe Dream. Wimpy enjoys being the Fox Sports Net guy now, I still get to hear him on Braves games some, nice to hear.

Stoney would be a nice fill in tbh, look past the Cubs ties in his history.