Hawk to the DL

Wedge

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
I am sure Jay agrees with you... Unless my theory is true and you are in fact one Jay Mariotti... :ph34r:

Actually for one game, I would love to hear Jay do the game. He makes me sick and his constant axe-grinding against Reinsdorf and the Sox is over the top. But I would think it would be funny/mildly entertaining for one game.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ May 3, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
Just remebering Steve Stone's Mock of Hawk last year ("HE GONE") pisses me off......if he replaced him for the few days thats when I turn on mute and turn up the radio.....

GET WELL SOON HAWK!

That was Chip, not Steve.

QUOTE(Benson&Rexage @ May 4, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
I hate reggie miller and the colts

Go bears go sox

Get well Hawk

Detached Renta  NO

Eye surgery Mercy!!

Reggie Miller, Kerry Wood, Peyton Manning= chicks with dicks

:huh:

QUOTE(Benson&Rexage @ May 4, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)

Go bears go sox

Get well Hawk

Detached Renta  NO

Eye surgery Mercy!!

Good job with the vulgarity, is this post #3 for you?

Per whitesox.com

Darrin Jackson, currently the analyst on White Sox television broadcasts, will take over play-by-play duties in Harrelson's absence. No announcement has been made in terms of Harrelson's replacement in the booth. Harrelson is in his 16th consecutive season in the White Sox's television booth, and also worked as a White Sox announcer from 1982 to 1985.

"D.J. will be just fine," said Harrelson with a laugh, mentioning that "getting smoked a couple of times" when he was a boxer during his younger days might have contributed to both retinas detaching

QUOTE(Benson&Rexage @ May 4, 2005 -> 06:08 AM)

Go bears go sox

Get well Hawk

Detached Renta  NO

Eye surgery Mercy!!

And don't insult women like that - comparing them to those guys!!! Mercy!

QUOTE(Capn12 @ May 4, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
How was The Pope Donn Pall tonight? Watching mlb.tv, I had the friggin KC broadcast yet again.

Thoughts?

He got much better as the game went on. Actually I thought DJ had a great game behind the mic. I don't know why Hawk being around makes him suck so badly, but it is definately strange. DP opened up more and more as the game went on, and really sounded good once the teams got into the pen, and he started talking about situational pitching, and what pitches to throw at a specific count etc. It was nice to have a pitcher in the booth to hear what they were thinking of throwing, instead of Hawk and DJ both talking about how they would look for fastballs in this situation.

Guest JimH
He got much better as the game went on.  Actually I thought DJ had a great game behind the mic.  I don't know why Hawk being around makes him suck so badly, but it is definately strange.  DP opened up more and more as the game went on, and really sounded good once the teams got into the pen, and he started talking about situational pitching, and what pitches to throw at a specific count etc.  It was nice to have a pitcher in the booth to hear what they were thinking of throwing, instead of Hawk and DJ both talking about how they would look for fastballs in this situation.

I'd agree, he got better as the game went on and I would say he hit his stride in the 3rd inning.

Don Pall got better too, I kind of felt he didn't want to step on DJ's toes at the beginning but when they started talking pitching strategy, it was pretty interesting.

The DJ home run call is getting to be a little bit of cult classic ... he needs to refine it and nail it.

The broadcast flowed pretty well, other than sometimes DJ has a tendancy to repeat the same responses ... he must've replied "you better believe it" to some of Don's comments about 5-6 times. Not a big deal because all broadcasters have "pet" phrases.

Overall I thought it was a pretty decent first effort, and I'll be listening for the next several games to see how things develop.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 5, 2005 -> 07:28 AM)
I'd agree, he got better as the game went on and I would say he hit his stride in the 3rd inning.

Don Pall got better too, I kind of felt he didn't want to step on DJ's toes at the beginning but when they started talking pitching strategy, it was pretty interesting.

The DJ home run call is getting to be a little bit of cult classic ... he needs to refine it and nail it.

The broadcast flowed pretty well, other than sometimes DJ has a tendancy to repeat the same responses ... he must've replied "you better believe it" to some of Don's comments about 5-6 times.  Not a big deal because all broadcasters have "pet" phrases.

Overall I thought it was a pretty decent first effort, and I'll be listening for the next several games to see how things develop.

When they first got going I was wanting to slice my wrists they were so terrible... after a few innings they seemed to pick it up a bit....

QUOTE(JimH @ May 5, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)

The broadcast flowed pretty well, other than sometimes DJ has a tendancy to repeat the same responses ... he must've replied "you better believe it" to some of Don's comments about 5-6 times.  Not a big deal because all broadcasters have "pet" phrases.

DJ kept saying "that's a good observation" over and over too. I know he was just trying to coax Pall along, and give him some confidence, but it really got old quickly.

I am looking forward to a solid broadcast tonight. I like what Pall brings to the booth, all except for his voice. There is something about it that just doesn't scream "baseball". But I can live with that.

Good job so far fellas :cheers

Guest JimH
I am looking forward to a solid broadcast tonight.  I like what Pall brings to the booth, all except for his voice.  There is something about it that just doesn't scream "baseball".  But I can live with that.

Yes ... Don sounds like he's about 17 years old! :lol:

One other thing which was noticeably different ... both guys gave more props to the opposition. Everett struck out on a 3-2 changeup and both guys commented on what a great pitch it was by Hernandez.

Another thing DJ is getting better at but still needs to improve upon: going into the breaks and summarizing the situation. Hawk is good at this ... "after three, no score". Sometimes the TV is on in the background, so it's nice to hear a very quick one sentence summary like, "Sox put two on the board and lead 4-2".

Nitpicky and a personal preference, but a short summary is helpful if you're doing other things with the game on in the background. They've worked with him because he is waaaayyyy better at this than he was, but he can still improve.

But yeah, I thought he did a pretty good job last nite. I plan on listening to these next several games to see how it goes. Especially with Ventura in the booth - Hawk completely carried Ventura on the one spring game, Ventura added next to nothing IMO. Hopefully he and DJ will have good chemistry.

That is the one thing I ALWAYS told new color guys I would train when I was in college. You can never say the score too often. Its not quite as bad on TV, because you can usually see the score, but the point is still valid.

And I love to see the other teams praised when they do well. It bring a sense of professionalism to the booth, and makes their praises and critizisms a little more valid to me. It shows fairness and honesty.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
That is the one thing I ALWAYS told new color guys I would train when I was in college.  You can never say the score too often.  Its not quite as bad on TV, because you can usually see the score, but the point is still valid.

And I love to see the other teams praised when they do well.  It bring a sense of professionalism to the booth, and makes their praises and critizisms a little more valid to me.  It shows fairness and honesty.

That's what I love about Hawk. His "If you're just tuning in..." thing is awesome if you're coming into a game late.

Donn Pall with be in the booth through the Toronto series. Then Ventura will do the Devil Rays series.

I missed him during the ST game.

:headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

Edited by robinventura23