Talk about Hitless Wonders...

longshot7

Look at this - from the Trib:

"The Sox entered the game against the Kansas City Royals hitting .256 and a league-worst .219 with runners in scoring position. The Sox ranked second in the majors last season with a .291 average with runners in scoring position, trailing only World Series champ Boston."

Wow.

But then again, what does Hawk say? It's not what you hit, it's when you hit 'em.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ May 5, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
Look at this - from the Trib:

"The Sox entered the game against the Kansas City Royals hitting .256 and a league-worst .219 with runners in scoring position. The Sox ranked second in the majors last season with a .291 average with runners in scoring position, trailing only World Series champ Boston."

Wow.

But then again, what does Hawk say?  It's not what you hit, it's when you hit 'em.

That just goes to show you how unbelievable the pitching has been. When the offense does come around, and I believe it will, this team is gonna be scary good.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2004 @ May 5, 2005 -> 03:43 AM)
That just goes to show you how unbelievable the pitching has been.  When the offense does come around,  and I believe it will,  this team is gonna be scary good.

Or, to play devils advocate...what happens when the pitchin returns to earth and the hitting still isnt there...

:D

QUOTE(Capn12 @ May 5, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
Or, to play devils advocate...what happens when the pitchin returns to earth and the hitting still isnt there...

That's the thing, I don't believe the pitching is a fluke. This staff is as good as any in baseball. I totally expect for us to finish no worse than top 3 in era.

Seeing the topic title "hitless wonders" made me think of sumthing that I might not have thought of unless I was living in Cali for the past 25 yrs. "Hitless Wonders" and Go-Go Sox" are the two most recognizable nicknames for Sox teams that reached a World Series and now we are playing the same type of ball. Maybe its just White Sox karma that we always need to play this type of baseball to be successful. But if I go back to my Chicago roots I'd say it's only becuz wih our histroy of cheap owners with those types of teams we can only lay out the dough for 1/2 a team . Can't pay for pitching and hitting now can we ? Peace, out dudes.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 5, 2005 -> 03:21 AM)
Seeing the topic title "hitless wonders" made me think of sumthing that I might not have thought of unless I was living in Cali for the past 25 yrs. "Hitless Wonders"  and Go-Go Sox" are the two most recognizable nicknames for Sox teams that reached a World Series and now we are playing the same type of ball. Maybe its just White Sox karma that we always need to play this type of baseball to be successful. But if I go back to my Chicago roots I'd say it's only becuz wih our histroy of cheap owners with those types of teams we can only lay out the dough for 1/2 a team . Can't pay for pitching and hitting now can we ? Peace, out dudes.

The Go-Go Sox, those Hitless Wonders, are Winning Ugly! :headbang

QUOTE(Capn12 @ May 5, 2005 -> 07:45 AM)

Valid question. When you have 5 guys who are solid, the beauty is odds are they won't all slump at once. You shouldn't have those long losing streaks. Once the hitting comes around and if the pitching slumps, as someone else said, you might just see higher scores. Remember, Ozzie told us to expect the 3-2 and 4-3 wins. He has a lot of confidence in those 5 arms.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 5, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
Yep, the Twins have been doing it for, what 4 years and suddenly it's 'ugly' cuz it's the Sox?    PPfft.

Let them call it ugly. We'll laugh all the way to late October.

27 games into the season and we havent seen many bad outings, I think if our staff was just a fluke they would have given it up 2-3 weeks into the season.. I dont see why we couldnt keep up the solid pitching.. Its the hitting that worries me more