Another ballpark break down

At Oakland a guy through a cell phone and it hit Carl Everett...Everett plans to press charges...This is not as dramatic as the security breach at the cell, no pun intended(get it cell...and cell phone :lolhitting ...ok that wasn't that funny :angry: )

Anyway here is the story

OAKLAND -- Rangers right fielder Carl Everett was struck in the back of his head by a cell phone thrown by a fan at Network Associates Coliseum during Saturday's game against the A's.

"Luckily, I was wearing a hat," Everett said. "If I wasn't, I would have been cut."

A's spokesman Jim Young said the suspect was apprehended and arrested after other fans pointed him out. The identity of the alleged assailant was not available.

Everett said he intends to press charges against the person who threw the phone at him. The incident occurred in the bottom of the fifth inning of Oakland's 12-2 victory.

"One fan did the deed," Everett said, adding, "He's going to get what's coming to him."

After the inning was complete, Everett informed a security guard stationed at the Rangers' bullpen along the right-field line and first-base umpire Fieldin Culbreath what had happened. Rangers manager Buck Showalter joined the conversation at that point, putting his arm around an incensed Everett.

"I thought security handled it as well as they could have, but I'm not happy about it, just like Carl wasn't happy about it," Showalter said. "It's tough enough to play the game as it is."

There were no further incidents after that, and the game wasn't delayed when the situation was discussed.

"Any more problems like that and we would have walked off the field," Showalter said.

Everett was gesturing and seemed to be saying things to fans as he returned to the dugout, and he was booed when he came to the plate to lead off the top of the sixth. After he missed an offspeed pitch from Mark Mulder badly, the fans cheered. But the booing returned when Everett drilled a solo home run on the next pitch.

As A's right fielder Terrence Long went out to take his position in right field for the top of the sixth, he found the battery from the cell phone and lobbed it over the fence.

No details were available about the circumstances surrounding the incident, such as whether the suspect had been drinking or whether other people were involved.

Everett was booed by many in the crowd the rest of the day.

"I don't think a lot of them knew what was going on," Everett said. "It's just ignorance and alcohol. That's what's causing this."

Added Showalter: "I'd like to think the person who did it was intoxicated. I'd hate to think anybody sober would do that."

Everett said he has experienced problems in Oakland before with fans throwing objects at him.

"We've got great fans here, but there's no call for having things flying out of the stands," A's manager Ken Macha said.

Everett at least was able to have a sense of humor about the incident after the game, when he explained why he didn't keep the phone, instead throwing it into the stairwell beyond the right-field fence.

"I already have the same phone," Everett said.

John Schlegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

A's spokesman Jim Young said the suspect was apprehended and arrested after other fans pointed him out. The identity of the alleged assailant was not available.

I never get this behavior. If I threw a cellphone at a ball player, I'd be high-tailing it out of dodge right after I lobbed it. Me and Guido were at a game a few seasons back where these idiots were dumping peanut shells into the Sox BP. Man Soo Lee came out to see who was throwing them, pointed them out to security, and these idiots just sat there until security ejected them from the ballpark. Morons I tell you!

Guest hotsoxchick1

ok well im seeming like a b**** tonite, so im just glad for one..... that carl wasnt hurt and for two..... that fans that visit our park arent the only assholes...........geez this makes running onto the field a far lesser crime.......

ok well im seeming like a b**** tonite, so im just glad for one..... that carl  wasnt hurt and for two..... that fans that visit  our park arent the only assholes...........geez this makes running onto the field a far lesser crime.......

Unless I run out nude on the field..... in that case, I could be charged with assault with a deadly weapon :P

Guest hotsoxchick1
ok well im seeming like a b**** tonite, so im just glad for one..... that carl  wasnt hurt and for two..... that fans that visit  our park arent the only assholes...........geez this makes running onto the field a far lesser crime.......

Unless I run out nude on the field..... in that case, I could be charged with assault with a deadly weapon :P

YOU ONLY WISH...........DEADLY WEAPON??????LMAO.........OK IF YOU THINK SO.............your dreams are your dreams who am i to take them away.......... ;)

Unless I run out nude on the field..... in that case, I could be charged with assault with a deadly weapon  :P

would the nature of that assault be grossing everyone out? :lol:

No. It would be because of the log I'd have slung over my shoulder as I ran from foul pole to foul pole :P

a cell phone is about as tracable as an thing one can throw - how stupid is that?  might as well throw your wallet with all your id - dip s***s - and throwing stuff at players should be severly penalized -

that reminds of the guy who robbed a bank and wrote the stick up note on the back of one of his own deposit slips :lolhitting

i guess a player is gonna have to mamed or killed before MLB will finally do something about this

Anyone remember Bill Spiers of Houston getting attacked a few years back? IIRC the fan actually got to Spiers (who is not a big guy) and messed him up pretty good. Nothing career threatening but alot of blood and bruises.

i guess a player is gonna have to mamed or killed before MLB will finally do something about this

It's going to happen one of these days. Yankee Stadium is known for flying batteries. One is going to hit someone in the temple, or the eye, and it is going to kill or blind a ballplayer.

Another example is the referee that got hit with the whiskey bottle at Soldier Field.... IIRC at a Bears/Vikings game.