NEED CARTOON HELP!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Ah quiet youngin...  :bang this was on before you were born.... I am looking for someone like Flaxx, Tex, YASNY who would remember this.

Why don't you just discuss it at the early bird dinner tonight?

Granite man was replayed throughout the 70's. Was apart of the super six. That could possibly be it.

graniteman1.jpgelevatorman1.jpg

He was made out of granite rock and when not working for the secret service was a statue in the park.  Percible, a messenger pigeon was his companion and friend and when Granite Man was needed, Percy was sent by the Secret Service to wake him up with the words

"Oh rock of power, Awaken face, this dangerous hour"

Granite Man had incredible strength and a great uppercut and Percy the pigeon often saved his life when in danger.

The original "Catch the Pigeon" Hanna Barberra cartoon was "The Perils of Penelope Pitstop" (which I wrote a song about once and still play on the rare occassions I play out anymore). The same basic premise was carried forward later in the 70's in "Wacky Races" and to a lesser extent in "Laff-A-Lympics."

Dick Dastardly and Mutsy and their gang were the bad guys.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 5, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
The original "Catch the Pigeon" Hanna Barberra cartoon was "The Perils of Penelope Pitstop" (which I wrote a song about once and still play on the rare occassions I play out anymore).  The same basic premise was carried forward later in the 70's in "Wacky Races" and to a lesser extent in "Laff-A-Lympics."

Jim you are my hero :wub:

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ May 5, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
I kept thinking it was Hannah. Isn't the theme song even available on a CD now? I could swear I have it somewhere. Didn't he have a strange voice saying "Catch the pigeon, pidgy, pidgy" or something of the sort?

The "Catch the Pigeon" sonmg parody was atake off on the New Orleans jazz standard "Hold That Tiger":

Catch the Pigeon

Catch the Pigeon

Catch the Pigeon...

Dastardly: HOWWWWW!?!

There is a very nice cover of the tume in a medley with the Johny Quest theme song on the very entertaining Saturday Morning compilation that came out a few years back. Sung by none otehr than the Reverend Horton Heat who I believe a few folks 'round here were bashing a few days back.

On that Saturday Morning album, any power pop fans out there that remember the gone-too-soon midwest band Material Issue, they did a nice cover of the Banana Splits theme on there. Spider Man by the Ramones and Hong Kong Phooey by Sublime are fun too.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 5, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
The original "Catch the Pigeon" Hanna Barberra cartoon was "The Perils of Penelope Pitstop" (which I wrote a song about once and still play on the rare occassions I play out anymore).  The same basic premise was carried forward later in the 70's in "Wacky Races" and to a lesser extent in "Laff-A-Lympics."

I saw this topic this afternoon, and I couldn't figure out where I heard Penelope Pitstop before... I'm 25, that was before my time. I was racking my brain all night. I knew it was in a song. Cinco Margaritas later it finally came to me...

Jurassic 5 - The Influence

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jurassic5/theinfluence.html

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ May 6, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
all you oldies ganging up on the young innocent child.

you're just bitter about 'nam.

Well at least we can take heart in the fact that we will use up all of the social secuirty money before you ever get there :finger :P

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
Well at least we can take heart in the fact that we will use up all of the social secuirty money before you ever get there :finger  :P

Not if 'yer dead before retiring age... 1 SHOT, 1 KILL BOYS! There's a lot of 'em--need to conserve ammo... :ph34r: ;)