Dee Brown declares for draft

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ May 5, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
i think he would, but not hiring an agent was smart

I highly doubt Dee would get drafted in the first round. I haven't even seen him talked about as an early second round pick. If he gets drafted it would probably be late in the second round unless some team falls in love with him.

the guy is a pure jump shooter.

i havn't seen him create his own shot all season from off the dribble.

his defensive game might land him a late first pick as a bench player that can hit some threes and pressure the ball.

Somebody before mentioned that he has a son, and on top of that, he also has already graduated, so if he did go to the draft, he'd be leaving Illinois with a degree already.

That being said, I think he can increase his stock a lot more if he can lead a less talented Illinois team to success, but at the same time, if Illinois struggles, he may lose some luster that he's gained with the Final Four run.

Basically, I think he's doing just what Powell did last year, getting his name out there and trying to find out as much about where he stands as possible.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ May 6, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
Somebody before mentioned that he has a son, and on top of that, he also has already graduated, so if he did go to the draft, he'd be leaving Illinois with a degree already. 

That being said, I think he can increase his stock a lot more if he can lead a less talented Illinois team to success, but at the same time, if Illinois struggles, he may lose some luster that he's gained with the Final Four run.

Basically, I think he's doing just what Powell did last year, getting his name out there and trying to find out as much about where he stands as possible.

I'm not sure how much luster Dee gained in the Final Four run because the run was sparked by Luther Head and Deron Williams and while Dee played alright he really didn't do enough to elevate himself in the eyes of scouts. And I don't think Dee will actually graduate this semester. IIRC he has finished his class work but he needs to complete an internship before earning his degree.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ May 6, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
more work he helped bring the team back in games they were down

So did Jack Ingram and nobody is calling him a first round draft choice. Dee is great at playing the passing lanes but isn't what I would call a great on the ball defender. He is a good albeit streaky shooter. He doesn't create well for himself or others and he hasn't shown he can run the PG at a high level for extended periods of time. Dee is a very good player but he was the third best guard on the team this year and his game is still pretty limited at this point in time. If he shows he can take defenders off of the dribble and run the point effectively he would be a first round draft choice. If he doesn't he'll be a second rounder at best.