Port Forwarding

KipWellsFan

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeguchansodnik @ May 5, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Find the model number and maker of your router and follow the instructions. Everything should be gravy.

I

Yah I was on there but too impatient to figure it out.

Instead I just unplugged my router and my speed went up, but not over 100 kb/s like some prophesize. What does a router do? Is it important? And if I have it configured properly would it be faster than without the router?

F-Sakes this is complicated!

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeguchansodnik @ May 5, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
Normally you won't see speeds go up over an extra 100 kbps.

The difference will be noticeable though. That website is confusing but really it's your best choice if you wanna figure it out.

Right now without my router even connected I'm getting around 70 kb/s.

But you're saying if my router was hooked up and I forwarded my ports (whatever that actually means) I'd get noticeably higher speeds?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 5, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
Right now I'm downloading something with 4 peers and 4 seeds, with a download speed of 1-2KB/s.  :crying

Yah that sounds very typical of when I still had my router hooked up. Do you use Azereus?

And do you know what a router actually does?

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ May 6, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
Yah that sounds very typical of when I still had my router hooked up.  Do you use Azereus?

And do you know what a router actually does?

I have a Wireless Setup here at home, with the router and modem downstairs and my computer here upstairs. I have tried Azereus but every time I try to connect it comes up with a NAT Error so I have to use BitTornado.

Wow I'm pretty impressed someone went through all that trouble to combine all the port forwarding instructions on one website like that.

For BT, use a good client. Azureus is ok as is BitTornado and ABC I think is another one. Make sure you open up a range of ports and set that range of ports the same in your BT program.

Without a router, you couldn't share your internet connection without doing some software tricks or buying more IP addresses.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ May 5, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
Wow I'm pretty impressed someone went through all that trouble to combine all the port forwarding instructions on one website like that.

For BT, use a good client.  Azureus is ok as is BitTornado and ABC I think is another one.  Make sure you open up a range of ports and set that range of ports the same in your BT program.

Without a router, you couldn't share your internet connection without doing some software tricks or buying more IP addresses.

Don't routers do something to prevent people from hacking into your computer?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 5, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
I have a Wireless Setup here at home, with the router and modem downstairs and my computer here upstairs. I have tried Azereus but every time I try to connect it comes up with a NAT Error so I have to use BitTornado.

Yah I got the NAT error until I got rid of my router.

To access the firmware of your router so you can use port forwarding, you have to type the following addresses into your web browser (or you can click one below that I have provided)...

For NETGEAR routers:

http://192.168.0.1

For LINKSYS routers:

http://192.168.1.1

I have used both NETGEAR and LINKSYS routers and they both have a section for port forwarding. If yours doesn't, you probably need to update your router's firmware. You can find the latest firmware update for your router at its manufacturer's website.

By the way, for Azureus and/or Bit Torrent you want to open ports 6881 through 6999. This will give you faster download speeds.

Edited by Jabroni